Buy or Sell: 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins Edition

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Sell, unless multiple D go down we won't see him for more than a couple games. He also doesn't have the defensive acumen to make the same sort of impact. He'll take time to get consistent on his coverage and up his effort level in the D zone.

Buy or Sell: Ehrhoff signs for under 5.5M AAV in the new year.

Sell, considering the contracts handed out to D men this year, and the projected increase for next year. I don't think he gives us that kind of discount again.

Buy or Sell, we hold onto our first round pick in next years draft.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sell, considering the contracts handed out to D men this year, and the projected increase for next year. I don't think he gives us that kind of discount again.

Buy or Sell, we hold onto our first round pick in next years draft.

Buy. Unless we can get long-term top 6 help with it. Kunitz only has a couple years in him, at which point we will need more top six help. The best place to get that is the draft.

Buy or sell: Malkin scores >100 this year.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Buy. Unless we can get long-term top 6 help with it. Kunitz only has a couple years in him, at which point we will need more top six help. The best place to get that is the draft.

Buy, so long as he stays healthy.

Buy or Sell, Spaling and Sutter live up to their new contracts.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Sell, I think Spaling does, Sutter doesn't.

Buy or sell: Rutherford turns into Carolina Rutherford and makes tons of bad personnel decisions this year.

Sell, Rutherford won't have the last say, coach & Mario will give him cues while he mentors his future replacement. It's not like when he was cash strapped in Carolina anyway... I also think that being near retirement, he's more responsible and accountable than ever, legacy wise... Finally, he won't have to make as many moves he had to while back with the Canes... The table already being pretty much set.

Will Orpik go after Letang because he said all Bruce could do is basically hit and that's it? (TVA Sports interview)

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sell, Rutherford won't have the last say, coach & Mario will give him cues while he mentors his future replacement. It's not like when he was cash strapped in Carolina anyway... I also think that being near retirement, he's more responsible and accountable than ever, legacy wise... Finally, he won't have to make as many moves he had to while back with the Canes... The table already being pretty much set.

Will Orpik go after Letang because he said all Bruce could do is basically hit and that's it? (TVA Sports interview)

If Letang's leading a rush into the zone I don't think Orpik would be able to catch him, let alone hit him.

Orpik only hits guys after they've already scored from the blue paint. And then he gives his D-partner the "eyes" for failing to cover for him. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sell, I think Spaling does, Sutter doesn't.

Buy or sell: Rutherford turns into Carolina Rutherford and makes tons of bad personnel decisions this year.

Sell. I'm ok with his trading Scuderi with 25% retained. ;)

Buy or Sell. First Pens regular season PP. The alignment is Ehrhoff right point. Malkin right circle. Letang left point and sliding backdoor like Whitney used to do. Sid down low and roving. Hornqvist net presence.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Buy, as long as he stays healthy. Put another way, Malkin averages 1.25 PPG.

Buy or Sell: Malkin sees PK time (more than one shift a game)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Buy, as long as he stays healthy. Put another way, Malkin averages 1.25 PPG.

Buy or Sell: Malkin sees PK time (more than one shift a game)

Buy. Because I'm optimistic.

Buy or sell: We acquire a long-term top 6er this year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Buy. Because I'm optimistic.

Buy or sell: We acquire a long-term top 6er this year.

Hedge :laugh:

I'm inclined to buy, although it might be a guy with some years left who's an impending free agent OR an older guy like Marleau who would be more a medium term (two more years under contract after this year).

BUY or SELL: If he is a Penguin on opening night, then Craig Adams is a healthy scratch.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Hedge :laugh:

I'm inclined to buy, although it might be a guy with some years left who's an impending free agent OR an older guy like Marleau who would be more a medium term (two more years under contract after this year).

BUY or SELL: If he is a Penguin on opening night, then Craig Adams is a healthy scratch.

Buy, at this point Adams could get healthy scratch tattooed on his face.

Buy or sell, we will see a Spaling - Sutter - Bennett line, and they will be great.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Buy, at this point Adams could get healthy scratch tattooed on his face.

Buy or sell, we will see a Spaling - Sutter - Bennett line, and they will be great.

Sell. I think that line is ok but the pens have enough punch up front to warrant a 3rd line that is more of a shutdown line rather than a meh offensive line. Id prefer to see dupuis instead of Bennett eventually.

Buy or sell: anton Zlobin plays an NHL game this season.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Sell. I think that line is ok but the pens have enough punch up front to warrant a 3rd line that is more of a shutdown line rather than a meh offensive line. Id prefer to see dupuis instead of Bennett eventually.

Buy or sell: anton Zlobin plays an NHL game this season.

Very optimistic sell. Hopefully there won't be many injuries this year. Carcillo, Payerl, and.... Adams will likely play before him.

Buy or sell: Does Kapanen play with Crosby in the preseason?

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Very optimistic sell. Hopefully there won't be many injuries this year. Carcillo, Payerl, and.... Adams will likely play before him.

Buy or sell: Does Kapanen play with Crosby in the preseason?

Buy, given how high they are on him, it seems a lock that he will at least get a look on Sid's line.

Buy or sell, if Kapanen impresses enough in camp and the preseason to stay with the team, does he finish top 5 for the Calder?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sell: If Kapanen is to make the team, he'll likely show flashes of brilliance early but he'll physically wear down like Maatta did. I can't see him getting more than 10-15 goals and 30 points all said and done. He's best served playing a light schedule (say 2 of every 3 games) in WBS and working out all season to get up to speed for next year.

Buy or sell: Fleury gets over .920 save percentage on the season.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Buy, he's playing for the rest of his career in a contract's last year... I also presume that the Pens new system might help him but i aint no expert in that regard.

Buy or Sell, will Letang be back on track?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Buy, he's playing for the rest of his career in a contract's last year... I also presume that the Pens new system might help him but i aint no expert in that regard.

Buy or Sell, will Letang be back on track?

Buy, big time. I used to watch when there would be no forechecker on him and he'd see every stretch pass option covered and he'd just fire off a pass with this disdainful look/body language.

Buy or Sell: The three Penguins who will prove best served by the coaching change will be Letang, Despres, and Malkin.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Buy, big time. I used to watch when there would be no forechecker on him and he'd see every stretch pass option covered and he'd just fire off a pass with this disdainful look/body language.

Buy or Sell: The three Penguins who will prove best served by the coaching change will be Letang, Despres, and Malkin.

Sell, it would be Letang, Despres, and Pouliot. Johnston cuts his wait time to get to the NHL by a season at least.

Buy or Sell, we make the SCF this year.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Sell. Too many injuries to key players.

Buy or sell, Sid ends up eventually having to get surgery on the wrist he put off due to re-injuring it again?

Sell. Sid would have gone through with the surgery or missed time at the beginning of the season to make sure it would heal fully and he wouldn't risk hurting it again. He doesn't have a history of wrist problems or anything so unless something truly unfortunate happens I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Buy or Sell, if Tocchet/Johnston are able to instill discipline in the club like we all hope they will, will they be able to teach Letang to be much smarter with the puck and eliminate those dumb passes up the middle of the ice from the d-zone and those completely unnecessary icings?

ObsessedCreative*

Sell. Sid would have gone through with the surgery or missed time at the beginning of the season to make sure it would heal fully and he wouldn't risk hurting it again. He doesn't have a history of wrist problems or anything so unless something truly unfortunate happens I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Buy or Sell, if Tocchet/Johnston are able to instill discipline in the club like we all hope they will, will they be able to teach Letang to be much smarter with the puck and eliminate those dumb passes up the middle of the ice from the d-zone and those completely unnecessary icings?

Buy. All that poor decision making was on Bylsma and his beyond Pejorative Slured "system".

Buy or sell Downie is suspended for at least 2 games this year?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Buy. Carcillo as well.

Buy or sell, the Pens make it past the second round of the playoffs.

Buy. Rowdy Roddy Peeper embraced and then abandoned his belief in the greatness of Brian Burke. His punishment will be the Pens going beyond the 2nd round so Kirk can say to him 'nah, nah, nah, nah, nah'. :yo:

Buy or sell. Kapanen is starting opening game against Anaheim (NOTE: I said starting the game, not necessarily on the team beyond 9 games).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad