TSN: Button Thinks Tavares To Leafs On One Year Deal Makes Sense

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Pie in the sky click bait type bs by Button I know... It did make me think on it for a minute and with the abundance of cap space and the way the current CBA allows for re-signing your own players the Leafs are in a unique position to utilize their cap situation in a manner that gets JT here long term on a deal. If JT wants to come home and be a part of a supremely talented core he could sign one year at max ~$15m then come January 1st he re-ups for 8 years at 9.5 which is 76m so he gets 9 years 91m total with it front loaded the one year.
Matthews $10m
Tavares $9.5
Marner $7
Nylander $7
$34m
Rielly, Z, Kadri hopefully Brown for another 16-17 plus Andy in net so 53-55m for this long term.
LW-Matthews-Nylander
LW-Tavares-Marner
LW-Kadri-Brown
Who-effin-cares

Rielly-RHD
LHD-Zaitsev
Depth Guys

Andersen

It's definitely creative, but it's doable imo. 2m increases every year puts us at 80ish cap at that time too. 25-28m for 2 top 4 D and some Depth wingers with the hopes (expectations?) that Dermott and Liljegren can fill those roles on the blue line and Kapanen, korshkov, grundstrom etc to fill in around as well.
There's literally no room for any mistakes like previous management made like Lupul, Clarkson, etc. But the team can be fully balanced and competitive even with adding one more big piece long term.
I feel like people forget how much dead space falls off in the next few seasons.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares would have made sense in lieu of the Marleau signing next summer.

But we could theoretically make room if we somehow got rid of Bozak, JVR and *maybe* Kadri, replaced them with Tavares and 2 cheap ELCs like Grundstrom and Korshkov for example.

Question is do we even need to do that?

All things equal, I spend that money on Doughty.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Button is a joke. Yah, it makes sense for the Leafs but makes absolutely NO sense for Tavares.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Well, it's one thing:

a worse idea than that crazy low ball deal he signed with the Islanders in 2012.

Tavares would be insane to sign a one year deal and the risk that entails when at least $80M guaranteed awaits him next summer. The summer of 2018 is the time for Tavares to finally get paid.

My theory with these crazy speculations is that there are some hockey people/media who desperately want the Leafs to trip themselves up from this obvious great position the franchise is currently in.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
So Hossa wasn't a good player when he signed a one year deal with the Red Wings as Button referenced in the video? I am not saying Button is right, but it has happened so you cannot say they don't do it.

You really can't be seriously comparing current leafs with 2009 Redwings. That team was probably (one of the) biggest canditate to win cup pre-season for very long time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Tavares could become the hottest trade deadline rental in the past decade. A $5.25M cap hit for a number 1 center, it is going to be possible for a lot of teams to find a way to add him. But I can only imagine the type of payment it would take.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I wouldn't mind it at all. And could see it happening. If all you are paying for him is money you can sign him and figure out the details after with a trade. If it's a one year deal. It's not like high profile players haven't done it in the past. Hosea, kariya and selanne to name a few. Maybe he's. It concerned with money. Maybe he is happy with the money he has.

Also. You could bring in Tavares on a long term deal and deal one of marner or nylander for a solid defenceman. Replace one with the other.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Button is keeping us entertained/informed/etc, I don't get why some of you insult him? lol

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Button is keeping us entertained/informed/etc, I don't get why some of you insult him? lol

Entertained? We're not entertained, we're annoyed.

Informed? He provided no information except that JT is a UFA at the end of this season and that the Leafs may be interested, just like every other team in the league, which we already knew.

**** Button.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Entertained? We're not entertained, we're annoyed.

Informed? He provided no information except that JT is a UFA at the end of this season and that the Leafs may be interested, just like every other team in the league, which we already knew.

**** Button.

why are you annoyed?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
why are you annoyed?

I was half joking but I find it annoying for a guy like Button to be bringing up a high profile UFA 12 months before he even goes to UFA. We are going to be talking about Tavares for a full year (or more because it's already been talked about) and it will be just like the Stamkos situation where it amounts to nothing. That "what if" scenario isn't entertaining to me, maybe to some people.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I was half joking but I find it annoying for a guy like Button to be bringing up a high profile UFA 12 months before he even goes to UFA. We are going to be talking about Tavares for a full year (or more because it's already been talked about) and it will be just like the Stamkos situation where it amounts to nothing. That "what if" scenario isn't entertaining to me, maybe to some people.

that's fair.
i don't mind what if scenarios. it gives us something to talk about, esp. dog days of winter.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Button is a joke. Yah, it makes sense for the Leafs but makes absolutely NO sense for Tavares.
Says who? Maybe he wants to play at home. Play for a good young team. It's not always about money. He has made quite a bit since he has come into the league. And it's not like he wouldn't get paid.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think this is why this thread exists :laugh: (I assume you meant summer)

lol summer too. but no i did mean winter. like that period after christmas, before allstars and before the first trade of TDL Day

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Tavares could become the hottest trade deadline rental in the past decade. A $5.25M cap hit for a number 1 center, it is going to be possible for a lot of teams to find a way to add him. But I can only imagine the type of payment it would take.

jvr ,gardiner ,plus a number 2 pick

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure why we would want to make that deal. Think of it, they will want Marriner, we will counter with Nylander. They will want Reily and Dermot and we will counter with Gardiner and another younger player and a high pic.

How would this make us a better team?

I say, continue the process because the only way to assemble a Stanley Cup core is through the draft and trade for what we need. If, in a year, JT thinks the Leafs have a legitimate shot at a cup and is willing, along with the others to make all the salaries work, then the Leafs just might snag 3 cups before his career is up.

The Leafs would be absolute morons to give any significant asset for JT. Why would the Leafs give up anything when they could just sign him for free next year? If there was a trade, it would be the Leafs trading one of the big two (obviously not Matthews) to another team (or NY, I guess, but they would be giving the Leafs a lot, not the other way around) for a big return and then they become a much better team, if not serious cup contenders.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Looking towards next years free agent crop outside of Tavares. Old guys on 1 year deals like Thornton, Chara and the Sedins are all good targets. The Leafs will be even more attractive to free agents by next summer assuming a strong run. Those older players will want money and another shot before they hang them up, there might be no better place than Toronto to achieve those goals.

Other interesting names include John Carlson. He's under 30 and a legit top-4 RHD, but of course a contract could be outrageous. A cheaper option on defence would be Erik Gudbranson. He's shown leadership capabilities, is still young at 25 and is a big, fiesty RHD. Craig Anderson or Jaro Halak could be a stable veteran back-up presence, should Sparks/McElhinney falter this coming season. Other than that I think the Leafs can promote from within.

If the Leafs sign Tavares I hope it's long-term at 8-10M. They can make it work around these guys with strong drafting and pro scouting.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Says who? Maybe he wants to play at home. Play for a good young team. It's not always about money. He has made quite a bit since he has come into the league. And it's not like he wouldn't get paid.

you are right its not all about money. But the premiere FA in his class, if he even makes it to FA, isn't going to take a 1 year deal its a pipe dream to even remotely think it was an option. ALL the risk would be on Tavares for 1 years worth of reward what if he got injured and cant play again? instead of a contract 7 years long to make sure he's comfortable he has $7.5/8M (after taxes). He could sign 7 year $3M a year contract and be more comfortable than a 1 year one at max money. This is button being stupid, it has no basis in reality

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I hope Button really isn't this stupid, and is intentionally tossing out stupid things as click bait every once in a while, because he says a lot of stupid **** that also gets clicks. If he says stupid **** on purpose to get clicks it makes sense(though still dumb), if TSN just knows he says stupid **** and then tries to get Button to say a bunch of stuff so they can get the stupid click bait **** then Buttons an idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad