TSN: Button Thinks Tavares To Leafs On One Year Deal Makes Sense

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Don't see it happening, but even hearing of the possibility made my day, thank you Button.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I know this wont be a popular opinion but not really interested in Tavares.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I don't see Tavares signing a one year deal.......and Leafs needs blueliners to take the next step.

Only way this happens is that Nylander gets traded after they sign John long term. Other than that I don't see it happening. Would also have to loose another salary as well.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I know this wont be a popular opinion but not really interested in Tavares.

I would take him for 1 year for a good cup run, but there's no way Tavares signs here for 1 year. I think he stays in Long Island, but thanks for bringing this one up again Button :shakehead

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we actually have a lot of cap space next year, but we can only give a 1 year deal, cause probably gotta set aside around 20-25mill for matthews, marner, and gardiner for the year after

we will probably go hard at joe or the sedins for that 1 year offer...but omg if tavares settles for a 1 year deal which he wont, we will be cup favorites

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't see Tavares signing a one year deal.......and Leafs needs blueliners to take the next step.

Only way this happens is that Nylander gets traded after they sign John long term. Other than that I don't see it happening. Would also have to loose another salary as well.

A Leafs / Isles blockbuster trade that brings JT to TO and then getting signed long-term is the only thing that would make sense.

A 1 year deal doesn't really make sense.

"Strength down the Middle" .. If the Leafs could have JT and Matthews as their #1 and #2C signed long-term if be as close to emulating the Crosby/Malkin situation in Pittsburgh of a 1-2 punch down the middle.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Really? If he wants to take big ol' discount and win a cup, he would go to Pittsburgh or Tbay. If he wants to be a Maple Leaf, he'd probably want to stay for longer than a year.

Just gonna chalk this up to typical Craig Button BS.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
A Leafs / Isles blockbuster trade that brings JT to TO and then getting signed long-term is the only thing that would make sense.

I'm not sure why we would want to make that deal. Think of it, they will want Marriner, we will counter with Nylander. They will want Reily and Dermot and we will counter with Gardiner and another younger player and a high pic.

How would this make us a better team?

I say, continue the process because the only way to assemble a Stanley Cup core is through the draft and trade for what we need. If, in a year, JT thinks the Leafs have a legitimate shot at a cup and is willing, along with the others to make all the salaries work, then the Leafs just might snag 3 cups before his career is up.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

"Strength down the Middle" .. If the Leafs could have JT and Matthews as their #1 and #2C signed long-term if be as close to emulating the Crosby/Malkin situation in Pittsburgh of a 1-2 punch down the middle.

Leafs already have "strength down the middle"

In 1-2 years Matthews, Nylander, Kadri will be one the of best center rotations in the entire league.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Good hockey players dont sign 1 year deals

So Hossa wasn't a good player when he signed a one year deal with the Red Wings as Button referenced in the video? I am not saying Button is right, but it has happened so you cannot say they don't do it.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We would but JT would be a beast.

Ya and theres no way he would just sign for 1 single season and the price he would command would most likely really screw up our ability to sign all our young studs. Just imagine we signed Tavares for the term hes going to want and say Liljegren turns into a stud, how would we afford too pay for all these guys? You'd most likely be saying goodbye to one of Nylander or Marner in trade.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs already have "strength down the middle"

In 1-2 years Matthews, Nylander, Kadri will be one the of best center rotations in the entire league.

Leafs are very likely to continue to go down the path they're currently on and unlikely to go the Johnny T route. IMO.

Not sure how this 1-year deal makes any sense as Tavares is already under contract for 2017-18 season. The only way he becomes a Leaf is in a blockbuster trade to obtain his rights. A 1-year deal would be for the 2018-19 season (not next year, but the one after that) when he is a UFA and then if the Leafs would be truly interested it would be a massive 7-year contract.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Tavares signed a dream contract for the Isles, I could see him settling for 1y 8M deal for a chance to win a cup with his home team. The only risk he is taking is if he happened to have a career ending injury while playing here, which is pretty unlikely.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's an obvious possibility with similarly obviously low chances of happening, because the only way it does is if Tavares desperately wants a chance to win with the Leafs and is willing to risk his financial future for it, which would be completely bonkers.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Tavares signed a dream contract for the Isles, I could see him settling for 1y 8M deal for a chance to win a cup with his home team. The only risk he is taking is if he happened to have a career ending injury while playing here, which is pretty unlikely.

Not a chance. To get him on a one year deal try 12-15mil. Not sure what the cap allowances are on max deal for one year but pretty sure it would be in that area.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Not a chance. To get him on a one year deal try 12-15mil. Not sure what the cap allowances are on max deal for one year but pretty sure it would be in that area.

It would make no sense to sign a year 1 deal for a chance to win a cup if he asked for 12-15M... That would handicap the team, not help them.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

So he's going to just sign a 1 year deal with his hometown team and after just leave? And if he's good for the Leafs, you think they will be ok with him just leaving after one season? I just dont see any scenario where he just signs a 1 and done contract with the Leafs.

We have an amazing young team with C being one of our strongest areas. We dont need a Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->