TSN: Button Thinks Tavares To Leafs On One Year Deal Makes Sense

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think if there is 1 guy that might actually sign it might be Doughty, his team is quite clearly on the way down and he would put Toronto over the top.

If there is one UFA I think we have a fair shot to land it's Doughty
Hmmm he has cup rings and lives in LA. What would be his motivation to come here?

Batrous

May 4, 2016
They have Nylander, Marner and Matthews all of which will have to be resigned within the next 2 seasons (Nylander this year, Marner and Matthews next year). They can't afford Tavares nor do they need him.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There's a long list of superstars who signed one year deals in their prime. I'd post the list here but it's just way too long.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He's not free
He's going to cost a fortune in cap space, one of if not the most important assets in the current NHL

Kadri makes 4.5M long term and scored 60 points playing tough matchups
Now you want to ditch him so we can get 10-15 points more, get worse defensive play and it's going to cost 10M+

It's like the salary cap doesn't exist around here
id rather run Matthews, Tavares and kadri down the middle and trade one of marner or nylander for a stud defenceman.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
does he want to spend the rest of his career on a rebuilding team? because that is where they are headed and they are headed there FAST

He could be thinking I want to retire and have played for 1 team. That he could help rebuild the franchise mentoring and leading.
Hard to tell what he's thinking but he's in L.A. now and he is at home.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I don't see Tavares signing a one year deal.......and Leafs needs blueliners to take the next step.

Only way this happens is that Nylander gets traded after they sign John long term. Other than that I don't see it happening. Would also have to loose another salary as well.

My thoughts as well. I wouldn't want to lose nylander in a deal, unless it was for an elite D-man or Tavares inking a long term deal 8-10 mil. I can't see Tavares coming for just one year, however stranger things have happened.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He's not free
He's going to cost a fortune in cap space, one of if not the most important assets in the current NHL

Kadri makes 4.5M long term and scored 60 points playing tough matchups
Now you want to ditch him so we can get 10-15 points more, get worse defensive play and it's going to cost 10M+

It's like the salary cap doesn't exist around here

Funny, lately I've been thinking that the salary cap is becoming an unhealthy obsession around here.

Guess it's a matter of perspective.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Tavares be in the long run a step back. As for Doughty coming highly doubt it. Besides would it not be smart to keep young enough core so have higher chance to compete for future. The keeping of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner as they yet not hit their potential yet. All three had over 60 points which was amazing yet they just started. Given the situation leafs are in they are in better position then most teams. Their time will come!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
All I want out of this situation is that he doesn't go to a division rival. Any outcome besides that, really, is one I'll be happy with.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Funny, lately I've been thinking that the salary cap is becoming an unhealthy obsession around here.

Guess it's a matter of perspective.

And I'm tired of people playing make believe like it doesn't exist

But I'm sure someone on here is going to tell me how we can spend 35M+ on 4 players and still make the cap work

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
All I want out of this situation is that he doesn't go to a division rival. Any outcome besides that, really, is one I'll be happy with.

I just want him to sign with the Islanders. They aren't a team I think will ever be in the Leafs way so I'd rather him just stay there.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think the diff between Stamkos and JT is the fact that the Lightning despite missing the playoffs is a contender while the Islanders is far from it. That is a strong enough reason for JT to leave. To me, JT will be probably go to the Sharks where they have a hole in their 1C and enough cap space to sign him.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I just want him to sign with the Islanders. They aren't a team I think will ever be in the Leafs way so I'd rather him just stay there.

ever is a strong word. I recall our last playoff meeting being a slugfest.

having said that I feel much better about our roster than theirs for the forseeable future, whether Tavares stays there or leaves.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good luck finding someone else in the system as good as Tavares. You don't turn down a player like this if he wants to come here. Is a free asset. If it means you then trade someone like Kadri, great, you do that.

How good will JT be moving forward is the question here.

If he hovers around 65-70 points as he has the last couple seasons, and wants around 9 million in free agency, the Leafs would be better off with a 50-60point Kadri at 4.5 million + the extra capspace.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

But I'm sure someone on here is going to tell me how we can spend 35M+ on 4 players and still make the cap work

You do realize that every trade proposal, line up prediction, and FA suggestion that is presented here is, in fact, playing make believe? Right?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How good will JT be moving forward is the question here.

If he hovers around 65-70 points as he has the last couple seasons, and wants around 9 million in free agency, the Leafs would be better off with a 50-60point Kadri at 4.5 million + the extra capspace.

OR imagine JT playing in the shelter role that Bozak played last season. With Kap and Marner as his wingers. I think JT will have more than 65 pts a season. Not to mention creating matchup problems for the other teams.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You do realize that every trade proposal, line up prediction, and FA suggestion that is presented here is, in fact, playing make believe? Right?

We're in a thread where people are making the case for going after Tavares
I'd think cap implications would have some bearing on the discussion

If you don't like "make believe" and don't want to discuss things like the cap implications in the Tavares thread why are you here? Making comments about the salary cap in the first place?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We're in a thread where people are making the case for going after Tavares
I'd think cap implications would have some bearing on the discussion

If you don't like "make believe" and don't want to discuss things like the cap implications in the Tavares thread why are you here? Making comments about the salary cap in the first place?

Well, actually it was you that stated you didn't like people playing make believe.

All I said was IMO there was an almost unhealthy obsession about the Salary Cap around here lately.

I remember one poster getting all annoyed in the middle of July when they learned the Leafs were using off season LTIR, because they didn't realize it existed.

Seriously, instead of being happy we had more room, they were annoyed at what they perceived as a "loophole" they weren't aware of.

edit..I just went back to that thread to see who it was......no offence intended.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well, actually it was you that stated you didn't like people playing make believe.

All I said was IMO there was an almost unhealthy obsession about the Salary Cap around here lately.

I remember one poster getting all annoyed in the middle of July when they learned the Leafs were using off season LTIR, because they didn't realize it existed.

Seriously, instead of being happy we had more room, they were annoyed at what they perceived as a "loophole" they weren't aware of.

edit..I just went back to that thread to see who it was......no offence intended.

Yes they found a loophole to fit Brown in with off-season LTIR (which isn't even written into the CBA) which is pretty extraordinary
I'm the first one to admit I was wrong on that

But you can't talk about acquiring Tavares without looking at the cap implications
He's a 10M+ player and when Matthews is making 10M+ and Nylander and Marner are making 7M (fair numbers for those kids) you have to have some idea on how you can fit that in

With a hard cap one of the most interesting parts of team building is trying to make everything work with the cap and I'd like someone on the acquiring Tavares side of things to breakdown how it's going to work and who needs to be traded because I've tried and I can't make it work without trading Kadri and one of Nylander/Marner or completely gutting the team

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
There's a long list of superstars who signed one year deals in their prime. I'd post the list here but it's just way too long.

This is a great point though.

The only person off the top of my head that was just good (not in their prime, but still a good player) to sign a 1 year deal would be Marian Hossa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->