TSN: Button Thinks Tavares To Leafs On One Year Deal Makes Sense

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ya and theres no way he would just sign for 1 single season and the price he would command would most likely really screw up our ability to sign all our young studs. Just imagine we signed Tavares for the term hes going to want and say Liljegren turns into a stud, how would we afford too pay for all these guys? You'd most likely be saying goodbye to one of Nylander or Marner in trade.

The solution is right there, its an either or scenario.

Leaf have the young assets to potentially acquire Tavares in trade and then sign him to big $$ extension thereafter.

The cost to acquire JT in trade would outrageous, but hypothetically if Leafs package Nylander + Marner etc then you wouldn't have any cap issues because the money at +$6 mil you would be giving Marner and Nylander each (+12 mil combined) would then go to JT essentially at 10-12 mil. Either/Or !!!

The question would be what would give the Leafs the better Stanley Cup odds of Matthews and Tavares down the middle or Matthews (with Marner & Nylander)? The cap costs of either would be relatively the same.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
So Hossa wasn't a good player when he signed a one year deal with the Red Wings as Button referenced in the video? I am not saying Button is right, but it has happened so you cannot say they don't do it.

how old was hossa when he signed a one year deal vs how old will tavares be?

tavares will sign 7 years imo with a nmc/ntc for sure. i dont see him getting under $9.5 million either as a ufa. teams will line up for him.

tavares would be fun on the leafs but at some point we should address the defense?

hyman matthews nylander
marleau tavares marner
kapanen kadri brown
grundstrom goat shoshnikov

rielly xxxxx
dermott zaitsev
xxxxxx lili

anderson

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The solution is right there, its an either or scenario.

Leaf have the young assets to potentially acquire Tavares in trade and then sign him to big $$ extension thereafter.

The cost to acquire JT in trade would outrageous, but hypothetically if Leafs package Nylander + Marner etc then you wouldn't have any cap issues because the money at +$6 mil you would be giving Marner and Nylander each (+12 mil combined) would then go to JT essentially at 10-12 mil. Either/Or !!!

The question would be what would give the Leafs the better Stanley Cup odds of Matthews and Tavares down the middle or Matthews (with Marner & Nylander)? The cap costs of either would be relatively the same.

Ya trading Nylander and Marner to make room for Tavares makes so much sense.

Vegas has us as the 9th favorite to win the cup this season and those odds will increase every year going forward.

Tavares doesnt even fit a need, wont be the man on the Leafs and will be looking for a longterm deal that he would certainly get from many teams.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
So he's going to just sign a 1 year deal with his hometown team and after just leave? And if he's good for the Leafs, you think they will be ok with him just leaving after one season? I just dont see any scenario where he just signs a 1 and done contract with the Leafs.

We have an amazing young team with C being one of our strongest areas. We dont need a Tavares.

It really depends on his situation with his family. Does he have kids already? If so then he's probably looking for a long term contract in a good city. If he doesn't, then I could really see him considering a 1 year deal as long he's making decent money.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why are people saying that we'll need to move Marner or Nylander? Did Chicago ever move their true core pieces in Kane, Toews, Kieth, Seabrook? No. You can fit all of your stars in, you just have to be able to recycle the support pieces. If they are smart, they will never trade one of the core pieces.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
A one year deal with JT as a UFA makes total sense for the Leafs to pursue, but seems highly unlikely JT would agree. It's hard to imagine a player risking maybe 90% of their future earnings to play one year with the Leafs.

We should be interested in him as a UFA on a seven year deal because it opens up more possibilities for trading other players. If you have JT, maybe you don't need Kadri or maybe Nylander becomes more expandable in the search for a top end D. I'm not convinced he's interested in coming here, but the longer her goes without an extension, the more this type of talk will continue.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In abstraction, sure.

In reality I dont see how they could make it work capwise. He also wouldn't take the risk - will want a 7/8 year deal and would have zero interest in that type of deal. He's a declining asset, time to focus on internal development of the Leafs star players for a change rather than try to repeat past mistakes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ya trading Nylander and Marner to make room for Tavares makes so much sense.

Vegas has us as the 9th favorite to win the cup this season and those odds will increase every year going forward.

Tavares doesnt even fit a need, wont be the man on the Leafs and will be looking for a longterm deal that he would certainly get from many teams.

Leafs were willing to go the Stamkos route so why not the JT route? Had they landed Stammer for $10-11 mil per we would also have a Salary Cap either/or scenario evolving were Marner/Nylander wouldn't fit under the Cap in a couple years.

Matthews next 8 year contract at $10-12 mil and JT at 7 year extension at 10-12 mil (+ next year) also = 8 years under contract. This would be $20-24 mil cap total.. Matthews ($10 mil) + Marner & Nylander (~$6-7 mil each) also equals $22-24 mil cap.

So for the next 8 years you would be taking a run at Stanley Cup with JT, Matthews & Kadri down the middle. That would be weighed against Matthews + Marner + Nylander changes.

The salary cap would only allow you either or option above, the one that gave you the best Cup winning % would be the deciding factor..

PS. Staying the path >>>> Blockbuster JT trade seems the far greater odds of occurring. IMO

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
how old was hossa when he signed a one year deal vs how old will tavares be?

Irrelevant.

The previous poster said good hockey players do not sign one year deals and Hossa disproves that.

I think Button is out to lunch but the point here is that Hossa did exactly what another poster said good hockey players do not do.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Leafs were willing to go the Stamkos route so why not the JT route? Had they landed Stammer for $10-11 mil per we would also have a Salary Cap either/or scenario evolving were Marner/Nylander wouldn't fit under the Cap in a couple years.

Matthews next 8 year contract at $10-12 mil and JT at 7 year extension at 10-12 mil (+ next year) also = 8 years under contract. This would be $20-24 mil cap total.. Matthews ($10 mil) + Marner & Nylander (~$6-7 mil each) also equals $22-24 mil cap.

So for the next 8 years you would be taking a run at Stanley Cup with JT, Matthews & Kadri down the middle. That would be weighed against Matthews + Marner + Nylander changes.

The salary cap would only allow you either or option above, the one that gave you the best Cup winning % would be the deciding factor..

PS. Staying the path >>>> Blockbuster JT trade seems the far greater odds of occurring. IMO

Ya they were willing to go the Stamkos route when they had no proven NHL evidence just how good any of Matthews, Nylander or Marner were.

Matthews proved he's more than capable of handling being the centerpiece of a legendary franchise.

If Tavares filled this huge positional need for the Leafs I'd be willing to give it far more serious thought.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Why are people saying that we'll need to move Marner or Nylander? Did Chicago ever move their true core pieces in Kane, Toews, Kieth, Seabrook? No. You can fit all of your stars in, you just have to be able to recycle the support pieces.

A valid point and I hadn't considered the Chicago situation.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ya they were willing to go the Stamkos route when they had no proven NHL evidence just how good any of Matthews, Nylander or Marner were.

Matthews proved he's more than capable of handling being the centerpiece of a legendary franchise.

If Tavares filled this huge positional need for the Leafs I'd be willing to give it far more serious thought.

Good point. The context of the Leafs development has changed rapidly. The big three young talents have already proven get can lead a team to the postseason and none of them have even hit their primes yet.

I can't see them wanting to disrupt that.

Keep in mind too, JT got only 5 more points than Kadri last season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A one year deal with JT as a UFA makes total sense for the Leafs to pursue, but seems highly unlikely JT would agree. It's hard to imagine a player risking maybe 90% of their future earnings to play one year with the Leafs.

Agreed a 1 year mercenary deal makes little to no sense from Tavares perspective.

Option #1
So he becomes a UFA signs a 1-year deal and $10-12 mil from the Leafs, risks gets hurt (concussion etc) and its career ending.

or
Option #2

He becomes a UFA after this year, signs the max 7 year deal X $10-12 mil ($70-84 mil).

Who in their right mind would pick option #1 at one chance at a Cup verses long term financial security for himself and his family's future and 7 chances at Cup with next team?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think it would be bad situation for the Leafs. To parachute a guy for one year and paying him big money to me seems demoralizing for the a young team. It's not it's Crosby.

And really Tavares seems to be on the decline. And it's not like Tavares can give the young Leafs any experience on deep playoff runs. Rather spend the money on short term on defence.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
tavares is cashing in 10mill over 8

1 year deals are meant for near retirement players like joe, chara, or the sedins...i really hope we can pry any away from their teams, like i didnt think marleau a life time shark would leave, so who knows...im not sure what other impact player can be had on a 1 year deal, i dont even think we have enough cap to offer a 2 year deal next summer, got too many players to pay during matthews contract year

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I dont think he means "declining" as in he's now a bad or not very good player but age curves are a real thing and at age 28 (in a few weeks) and 29 by the time he's a UFA you're pretty close to have exited your truly peak years. I think I've read its somewhere between something like ages 22 and 27. This isnt saying hes not still a really good player but theres a good chance his most productive years are behind him (2013-2015).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed a 1 year mercenary deal makes little to no sense from Tavares perspective.

Option #1
So he becomes a UFA signs a 1-year deal and $10-12 mil from the Leafs, risks gets hurt (concussion etc) and its career ending.

or
Option #2

He becomes a UFA after this year, signs the max 7 year deal X $10-12 mil ($70-84 mil).

Who in their right mind would pick option #1 at one chance at a Cup verses long term financial security for himself and his family's future and 7 chances at Cup with next team?

well button is saying max so that's would be 20% of the cap for one year, what is the cap right now? $80M? so $16M for 1 year with the leafs or $11-12M for 7 years anywhere else (add 1 year for NYI) pretty simple decision I agree. Montreal I could see paying Taveras more than McDavid due to their desperate need for a 1C some other teams too!

edit: just file this into the massive file of evidence Button should shut the **** up about everything but prospects and even then he is outlandish

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If Tavares would take a 1 year deal, that would be awesome! Though I don't see why he would. If he gets injured for example, then he misses out on a HUGE payday. Seems too risky from a financial point of view.

But whether we sign him or not, we should spend the rest of our cap space on a 1 year deal.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Look at his scoring totals - decline over the past three seasons and he's had some injury issues.

He's not the same guy he was at 20-24.

He's entering an age where many players essentially begin to plateau and then eventually start to decline in terms of their on ice performance.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I dont think he means "declining" as in he's now a bad or not very good player but age curves are a real thing and at age 28 (in a few weeks) and 29 by the time he's a UFA you're pretty close to have exited your truly peak years. I think I've read its somewhere between something like ages 22 and 27. This isnt saying hes not still a really good player but theres a good chance his most productive years are behind him (2013-2015).

Age is one thing, saying he is a declining asset or that he is on the decline as someone did a couple of posts above yours, is another thing entirely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad