Burns 1st D to score 75+ points in back to back years since 1996-97

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Not really. Despite what Karlsson fans think, the universe does not revolve around him. This thread is solely and completely about impressive, back-to-back seasons by Burns. Full stop.

Bringing up Karlsson in this thread is just irrelevant.

But the universe does revolve around Karlsson. :sarcasm:

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Read the title thinking, another D topic, how long before Karlsson is brought up,

2nd post....

And again, Sens fans wonder why they get blasted about Karlsson ALL the time,

This thread had literally ZERO to do with Karlsson.....and..it turns into....about Karlsson....

Ok? What should we do in this thread then? When someone makes a thread about a defenseman having two really great consecutive seasons, why shouldn't we put those two seasons in contrast to other defensmens back to back seasons to se how it compares. The only player to have similar numbers is Karlsson. Not bringing Karlsson up in this thread would be criminally wrong as his both seasons are equally impressive to those of Burns. What the **** is wrong with that? I don't get it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Read the title thinking, another D topic, how long before Karlsson is brought up,

2nd post....

And again, Sens fans wonder why they get blasted about Karlsson ALL the time,

This thread had literally ZERO to do with Karlsson.....and..it turns into....about Karlsson....

Did you happen to see who brought him up in the 2nd post?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't a Sens fan.

But don't let that get in the way of the narrative.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok? What should we do in this thread then? When someone makes a thread about a defenseman having two really great consecutive seasons, why shouldn't we put those two seasons in contrast to other defensmens back to back seasons to se how it compares. The only player to have similar numbers is Karlsson. Not bringing Karlsson up in this thread would be criminally wrong as his both seasons are equally impressive to those of Burns. What the **** is wrong with that? I don't get it.

For what it's worth, the two most comparable back to back seasons are Karlsson's and Green's.

Both should certainly be fair game for discussion and comparison and I don't see how that would take away from Burns' accomplishment. I don't, however, see the need to argue about which of the three had the more impressive back to back seasons. Each one is unique and it's own thing. Green going back to back over a pt per game is pretty crazy. Burns consistently getting 75 pts (and >25 goals) is nuts. Karlsson getting a pt per game these days (and without superstar support) and following it up with another high octane offensive season in a more conservative system is also pretty special.

If instead of complaining about the threshold used, or how somebody else's seasons were more impressive, we focused on what these guys accomplished and how rare it is, it would probably lend to having a more interesting conversation. It would also help if people stopped complaining about the mere mention of other players who had comparable seasons (though nobody seems to have complained about Green being brought up).

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Not bringing Karlsson up in this thread would be criminally wrong as his both seasons are equally impressive to those of Burns. What the **** is wrong with that? I don't get it.

bsi.gif

Ok champion

Enjoy being that guy at parties that hijacks every conversation for the rest of your life

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Did you happen to see who brought him up in the 2nd post?

I'll give you a hint: it wasn't a Sens fan.

But don't let that get in the way of the narrative.
Read the post above yours. A Karlsson fans basically says he feels obligated to bring Karlsson up in this thread for some weird unjustified reason.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
When somebody breaks Barry Bonds's home run record, we'll have to wait until he reaches 770 to celebrate the accomplishment.

Not that I agree with the post you quoted however a record is different from an achievement.

Burns is really impressive, heck of a player.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
So now the goalposts moved again? Because burns had 5p more then Karlsson this season he should be handled norris? I mean it wasnt important last season.

Uh...when did I ever mention Norris? :help:
I just said it's an impressive feat. If Karlsson had 4 more points this season, he'd be included in this, and every Karlsson fan would be raving how great and non-arbitrary it is.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Read the post above yours. A Karlsson fans basically says he feels obligated to bring Karlsson up in this thread for some weird unjustified reason.

Read the post I quoted.

Are there annoying Sens fans out there? Yes.

Are there annoying Karlsson fans out there? Yes.

Are they mutually exclusive? No.

Now read this:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=130688075&postcount=49

I won't further the derailment of this thread (and apologize for the irony) because Burns deserves a lot of credit for his play in general- and will likely win the Norris this year. But you can see that "Sens fans" aren't the only ones who bring Karlsson into a thread- and sometimes when they don't even mention him at all we're somehow making it about him. Not looking for a pity party over it- I just wanted to point it out because it's annoying for me, too.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Are Karlsson fans just so in love with their boy that they just have to jump into any thread praising any defenseman other than him just to go "so what Karlsson is better/did better"?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Amazing. I'm blown away seeing defensemen scoring 70+ points when few forwards eclipse PPG.

Hell of a feat for Burns.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think the way the Sharks send people to the front of the net makes it a great fit because Burns has such a phenomenal shot, and is able to get it through traffic. You can talk about production of others, but the game plan for the Sharks- from all lines- seemed to be: drive it deep, kick the puck out to the point and then crash the net/slot.

By no means am I saying this to discredit Burns in any way, shape or form. I know some people are very sensitive about that. Burns still has the unique ability to let shots go in motion, back-footed, with little to no backswing that puts him in a league of his own in that respect. It's a playoff type of game that they've been practicing all regular season, and I think Sharks fans may lose sight of that as a result of seeing it so often, and having a tough run to end the year.

But not many teams create traffic as well as San Jose.

He really does have the fadeaway jumper of wrist shots :laugh:

Not if Karlsson is the better player.

Yes, true or not, that is actually completely irrelevant to the thread.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He really does have the fadeaway jumper of wrist shots :laugh:

Yes, true or not, that is actually completely irrelevant to the thread.

Funny how karlsson fans can't figure out the difference between praising a player for a acomplishment and better player.

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
It was crappy wording. I deserve some flack for that but you should be able to comprehend the complaint. Shouldn't be so hard to see that it's a weird cut off, like many more posters than me has pointed out.

you just sound bitter. 5 is a perfectly fine cut off. 75 is no more arbitrary than 70. as is 80 or 82.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad