Burns 1st D to score 75+ points in back to back years since 1996-97

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
mike green had 76 points and 73 points in back to back seasons. so he came close

He was also over a pt per game in both seasons, injuries stopped him.

Having said that, Burns has had two terriffic years, props to him for that.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Deep breath

ahahahahahahahaahahahahahha

Remind me next time a d-man goes PPG over a full season, because that's not impressive since it's 82. But man, if he misses a couple of games and gets 80, or does a little better and gets 90, we'll be sure to celebrate it. What a frivolous complaint. It's THAT hard to be happy for other d-men.

Big props to Burns, it's a special era for d-man scoring even in light of league scoring being down, and he's one of the flag-bearers in that regard.

It was crappy wording. I deserve some flack for that but you should be able to comprehend the complaint. Shouldn't be so hard to see that it's a weird cut off, like many more posters than me has pointed out.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Burns is the best offensive defencemen. I'd take goals over secondary assists any day.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
So what you're saying is Burns' 11th and 9th place scoring finishes aren't as impressive as Leetch's 26th and 24th place scoring finishes?

No, you're missing my point. The whole thing just feels forced. He is a great defenceman and deserves recognition but two 75+ seasons? It's arbitrary.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
75 points is a weird cutoff. I understand all cutoffs in sports stats are arbitrary, but that one is particularly arbitrary.

Because he failed to hit 30 goals and he will not win the Hart.

That's why 75 points. It's going to upset some people but that's the reality. You want to frame your player in the best way possible after he fell off a cliff.

TSN does this all the time. "First time in however many years since this thing happened"... to hype the game and keep people interested.

icebluuu

May 15, 2011
Burns has been a treat to watch this season. It's like he has a deal with the top corner.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was crappy wording. I deserve some flack for that but you should be able to comprehend the complaint. Shouldn't be so hard to see that it's a weird cut off, like many more posters than me has pointed out.

It's really not. It's a half-measure between 10s.

The meta here is that instead of congratulating guy for a feat you have to engage in a discussion about the legitimacy of the milestone.

And it's not "many more posters," it's literally only a handful, and literally only Sens and Sweden fans. Strange coincidence I guess.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Not as impressive a feat when you compare Brian Leetchs 85 & 78 point seasons to Burns 75 & 76. Feels like a very arbitrary cut off eaither way.
In that light Karlssons 82 & 71 point season is more impressive since he crossed the 80 p line like Leetch did in his 95/96 season and 70 p line like Leetchs 96/97 season. It more accurately resembles Leetchs two seasons.

I am a Sens fan and it is a huge achievement. Congrats to Burns!

Samdwiched between those two 75 point seasons was a Cup final huge playoff offensive performance,

I think Karlsson is the better player but Burns has had a pretty amazing past 46 months or so. He deserves whatever accolades he gets.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Because he failed to hit 30 goals and he will not win the Hart.

That's why 75 points. It's going to upset some people but that's the reality. You want to frame your player in the best way possible after he fell off a cliff.

TSN does this all the time. "First time in however many years since this thing happened"... to hype the game and keep people interested.

True

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Samdwiched between those two 75 point seasons was a Cup final huge playoff offensive performance,

I think Karlsson is the better player but Burns has had a pretty amazing past 46 months or so. He deserves whatever accolades he gets.

:cheers:

Yep, I thought for sure last season would be kind of a one-off, his best season ever, but he's sustained that crazy level of play this far, and as you point out, can't forget his playoff run either.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
It's really not. It's a half-measure between 10s.

The meta here is that instead of congratulating guy for a feat you have to engage in a discussion about the legitimacy of the milestone.

And it's not "many more posters," it's literally only a handful, and literally only Sens and Sweden fans. Strange coincidence I guess.

I saw at least a Flames supporter with the same complaint which would not fit your narrative.
In hockey that is an odd cut off number. It's not very often that you see comparisons being made where it's not in tens or 82, at least in this context.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

I don't think I've ever said anything negative about Burns qualities as a hockey player. I sympathise with Sharks fans because of the "4th forward, **** defensively since putting up a lot of points" drivel people spout on these boards. But It was unnecessary to bring up Karlsson in this thread, I get that. My fanboy-ism got the better of me.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
:cheers:

Yep, I thought for sure last season would be kind of a one-off, his best season ever, but he's sustained that crazy level of play this far, and as you point out, can't forget his playoff run either.

Burns has played 194 games the past two years so far before this years playoffs.

2015/16 82 games 75 pts playoffs 24 games 24 pts World Cup Gold medal and 6 games 3 pts. 2016/17 82 games 76 points.

That is crazy! Huge number of games and never missed one game!

Burns was obviously very good before the past two years but still what an amazing and kinda unexpected 31/32 year old performance the last 2 years.

I mean they use him as a forward in 14-15 and then he goes back to D and scores way more goals there!

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's obviously a key player at D, but I wish more people saw him play forward, too. My god it was terrifying :laugh:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He's obviously a key player at D, but I wish more people saw him play forward, too. My god it was terrifying :laugh:

I saw. It was. Like Buff in Chicago. Better to play these guys 25 mins on D but down low as forwards they seem like they are going full Lindros.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Burns has played 194 games the past two years so far before this years playoffs.

2015/16 82 games 75 pts playoffs 24 games 24 pts World Cup Gold medal and 6 games 3 pts. 2016/17 82 games 76 points.

That is crazy! Huge number of games and never missed one game!

Burns was obviously very good before the past two years but still what an amazing and kinda unexpected 31/32 year old performance the last 2 years.

I mean they use him as a forward in 14-15 and then he goes back to D and scores way more goals there!

I think his defensive development was delayed due to McLellan. He's just a couple years behind the normal Dman curve.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Burns is awesome.

but the 75 thing is basically setting a goal post exactly where the shot will hit it.

It sure is, but I don't see the problem with that. The premise of the thread is it's been a while since somebody did what Burns did. That's all.

Not sure why people need to nitpick about the particular threshold used.

He's also the first Dman in a long time with back to back 25 goal seasons. McInnes did it in 90-91 and 91-92 (and 89-90, and 88-89)

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It sure is, but I don't see the problem with that. The premise of the thread is it's been a while since somebody did what Burns did. That's all.

Not sure why people need to nitpick about the particular threshold used.

He's also the first Dman in a long time with back to back 25 goal seasons. McInnes did it in 90-91 and 91-92 (and 89-90, and 88-89)

It's pretty crazy that in this era we have so many d-men blasting old records. It really is a better era for d-men than we're currently giving it credit for, imo. Lots of very unique, game-carrying talents at the top of the heap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad