Burns 1st D to score 75+ points in back to back years since 1996-97

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I feel like every Dman in the league should watch tape on him on how to get a shot through from the point. It's insane how good he is at that.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I hope he wins the Norris. Might be tough with the last 2/3 season that Karlsson had and that Brent is playing in San Jose . . . plus his last 15 or so games weren't as good as the prior 65. Still hope he wins it though.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Excuse me but do you have some time to talk about our lord and savior, Peter Forsberg Erik Karlsson?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
But really though, the rarer thing is a defenseman leading the league in shots. That hasn't happened for a long time and only a very elite few have done it.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
:rolleyes: Nice backhanded compliment. Burns would have scored the same or more on almost any other team this year, including the Senators.

Sens fans always gotta find a way to knock Burns even when they're trying to look like they're complimenting him.

Wait? SJ is perfect for him and he is perfect for them. They've allowed him to be maximize his abilities. How is that a back-handed compliment?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Burns SET his own arbitrary cutoff by having 75 points in back to back years. Had he scored 76 last year, we would say he was the first player since Leetch with back to back years of 76 points. Had he scored 74 this year we would say the same.

The 5 in 75 has nothing to do with 5 as the second digit being a cutoff point. It has everything to do with that being the number of points he scored in the low year.

Had Patrick Kane scored 103 points this year, we may say "Patrick Kane is the first player with back to back 103 point seasons since Ovechkin in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010."

Wait? SJ is perfect for him and he is perfect for them. They've allowed him to be maximize his abilities. How is that a back-handed compliment?

Have they really? Burns had 47 points with his most recent season with the Wild and then 36 points in his subsequent season with San Jose. He led the team in goals, assists, and points this year. Nobody else even had 70 points and only one guy had more than 52. 3 other guys had 25 or more goals, but nobody besides those 3 had over 11.

Burns +/- was +19, only 3 other guys were +10 or better, and one of them was his defensive partner.

I honestly think if Burns was an Oiler, he would have 90 points. San Jose would be a lottery team if not for Burns, I'm not sure that's certainly a perfect fit. You could argue the Oilers are a perfect fit for McDavid, since he scored 100 points, but are they really? Probably not, as they lack a #1 offensive D like Burns. I would agree San Jose is a good fit for Burns, especially when you consider he and Pavelski have a D-F shot-tip chemistry that no other D-F have in the league, but your post is misinformed and obviously looks to insult Burns.

Speaking of arbitrary cutoff points, here's another: 27 goals. Who is the last D-man to score 27 goals in back to back seasons? Or 25 or even 20? Who is the last D-man to lead the league in goals for 2 years straight? I'm genuinely curious about all of these, not trying to pump Burns' tires. Sheldon Souray had a 26 goal season and a 23 goal season but in between those years he had an injury ridden year with a mediocre 3 goals in only 26 games.

Last edited:

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
But really though, the rarer thing is a defenseman leading the league in shots. That hasn't happened for a long time and only a very elite few have done it.

You know whats rare? Going 82p in 82 games, top5 in scoring and 1st in assist. Karlsson had better season last year that wasnt rewarded.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Burns SET his own arbitrary cutoff by having 75 points in back to back years. Had he scored 76 last year, we would say he was the first player since Leetch with back to back years of 76 points. Had he scored 74 this year we would say the same.

I don't agree with this. I don't find multiples of 5s arbitrary at all. People say back-to-back 25 goal seasons, back-to-back 35 goal seasons all the time. It's not as impressive as 30 or 40, but that doesn't make it arbitrary. To equate it to something truly arbitrary like 23 or 72 is ridiculous. It's funny how if Karlsson just got a few more points this season, he'd also be included in this, and you know every Karlsson fan would gushing all over it.

You know whats rare? Going 82p in 82 games, top5 in scoring and 1st in assist. Karlsson had better season last year that wasnt rewarded.

You know what else is rare? Not seeing a Karlsson post on the 1st page of any defenseman topic. Sooo much insecurity.

Last edited:

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
cool stuff.

Erik Karlsson is the first player to follow up a 81+ point season with a 71+ point season since the same year, so. I don't know, that's also an achievement I guess.

I would call burns an awesome accomplishment if he was the clear leader in point/ppg during those two years, but as it is, he is second in both. Then it only becomes a play with numbers.

his goal total during those years are really impressive however.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
cool stuff.

Erik Karlsson is the first player to follow up a 81+ point season with a 71+ point season since the same year, so. I don't know, that's also an achievement I guess.

I would call burns an awesome accomplishment if he was the clear leader in point/ppg during those two years, but as it is, he is second in both. Then it only becomes a play with numbers.

his goal total during those years are really impressive however.

Looks like we're criticizing Burns for staying healthy now...
80+ and 70+ is even more arbitrary than back-to-back 75.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Looks like we're criticizing Burns for staying healthy now...
80+ and 70+ is even more arbitrary than back-to-back 75.

Where did I criticize him for that? Are you trying to put words in my mouth?

My Karlsson example was put forward to demonstrate that you can make an achievement out of everything if you just find the right formula.

How is 75+ points back to back actually worth anything as an achievement when there was another player that had more points during those years?

Why not highlight his back to back 25+ goals seasons instead? As far as I can tell, that has not been done in ages.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Let's break it down shall we.

We have 164 consecutive regular season games separated into 2 seasons at a certain point in time. During those 164 games Karlsson had 153 points and Burns had 151.

The only thing Burn managed to do is to distribute his points more equal at either side of the point in time that separates the seasons.

Lets just make a trophy for the player with the most consistent back to back seasons and call it the NHL Public Relations memorial trophy in the memory of the most stupid achievement ever made up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let's break it down shall we.

We have 164 consecutive regular season games separated into 2 seasons at a certain point in time. During those 164 games Karlsson had 153 points and Burns had 151.

The only thing Burn managed to do is to distribute his points more equal at either side of the point in time that separates the seasons.

Lets just make a trophy for the player with the most consistent back to back seasons and call it the NHL Public Relations memorial trophy in the memory of the most stupid achievement ever made up.

Hey, the Norris Trophy is a big enough joke already nowadays where most points reign supreme, the fact that they have a Richard trophy but don't have one for being offensive defenseman of the year is a joke in itself.

I don't get why we don't have a Norris Trophy for outstanding overall defensive play and then a Orr Trophy for outstanding offensive production by a defenseman. The league is still behind.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Hey, the Norris Trophy is a big enough joke already nowadays where most points reign supreme, the fact that they have a Richard trophy but don't have one for being offensive defenseman of the year is a joke in itself.

I don't get why we don't have a Norris Trophy for outstanding overall defensive play and then a Orr Trophy for outstanding offensive production by a defenseman. The league is still behind.

Drew Doughty won last year being 31 points behind in the scoring race. I guess scoring only reign supreme if you happen to be born in certain locations.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
I don't agree with this. I don't find multiples of 5s arbitrary at all. People say back-to-back 25 goal seasons, back-to-back 35 goal seasons all the time. It's not as impressive as 30 or 40, but that doesn't make it arbitrary. To equate it to something truly arbitrary like 23 or 72 is ridiculous. It's funny how if Karlsson just got a few more points this season, he'd also be included in this, and you know every Karlsson fan would gushing all over it.

You know what else is rare? Not seeing a Karlsson post on the 1st page of any defenseman topic. Sooo much insecurity.

So now the goalposts moved again? Because burns had 5p more then Karlsson this season he should be handled norris? I mean it wasnt important last season.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think his goal production is the most impressive aspect of his game. Almost hitting 30 goals twice as a defenseman is the unique part, even though his overall point production is impressive as well.

The league needs more players like him, that's for sure and I think the view of what a defenseman is, is only at the start of the development and change.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Have they really? Burns had 47 points with his most recent season with the Wild and then 36 points in his subsequent season with San Jose. He led the team in goals, assists, and points this year. Nobody else even had 70 points and only one guy had more than 52. 3 other guys had 25 or more goals, but nobody besides those 3 had over 11.

Burns +/- was +19, only 3 other guys were +10 or better, and one of them was his defensive partner.

I honestly think if Burns was an Oiler, he would have 90 points. San Jose would be a lottery team if not for Burns, I'm not sure that's certainly a perfect fit. You could argue the Oilers are a perfect fit for McDavid, since he scored 100 points, but are they really? Probably not, as they lack a #1 offensive D like Burns. I would agree San Jose is a good fit for Burns, especially when you consider he and Pavelski have a D-F shot-tip chemistry that no other D-F have in the league, but your post is misinformed and obviously looks to insult Burns.

I think the way the Sharks send people to the front of the net makes it a great fit because Burns has such a phenomenal shot, and is able to get it through traffic. You can talk about production of others, but the game plan for the Sharks- from all lines- seemed to be: drive it deep, kick the puck out to the point and then crash the net/slot.

By no means am I saying this to discredit Burns in any way, shape or form. I know some people are very sensitive about that. Burns still has the unique ability to let shots go in motion, back-footed, with little to no backswing that puts him in a league of his own in that respect. It's a playoff type of game that they've been practicing all regular season, and I think Sharks fans may lose sight of that as a result of seeing it so often, and having a tough run to end the year.

But not many teams create traffic as well as San Jose.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not if Karlsson is the better player.

Read the title thinking, another D topic, how long before Karlsson is brought up,

2nd post....

And again, Sens fans wonder why they get blasted about Karlsson ALL the time,

This thread had literally ZERO to do with Karlsson.....and..it turns into....about Karlsson....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad