Burke out - Good or Bad?

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
Burke has been an embarassment since signing,, testosterone and pugnacity (yet its a soft team) etc, Im going after Tavares, fights with media, fighting with Don Cherry, Bad UFA signings, Poor draft record.... some good trades, Phaneuf, JSG, some bad Kessel for Seguin, Hamilton and Knight and various smaller deals that were bad giving up Stalberg, giving up Jimmy Hayes etc ..

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The word ' record' was used once, maybe. 'Change in leadership' and other similar buzz words were repeated over and over. The record was the same now as last Augest. It's quite obvious there is something bigger at play here behind the scenes.

Yes.

Rogers and Bell now own the team.

They evaluated, and removed the idiot from the role that got the team in the worst position of all time.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Maybe Burke pushed for an extension around Christmas. When they said no, he got annoyed, didn't update them on his activities and carried out his duties with more autonomy than they liked.

This firing feels like they wanted to send a message.

Just a guess by the way.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Yes.

Rogers and Bell now own the team.

They evaluated, and removed the idiot from the role that got the team in the worst position of all time.

And hired the guy with the very same philosophy for building a hockey team...

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Philosopher Arthur Schopenhaur once said ..

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident".

The same fans that believed JFJ was doing a good job and surprised by his dismissal will soon come to realize in time that the TRUTH of the matter is that Burke's win/loss record in Toronto was even worse than JFJ (post lockout Cap World CBA) was.

It will then become clear as to why he was fired and be accepted as the best thing that could have happened to this team going forward. Brian Burke is the Leafs GM on record with the least success and longest consecutive non playoff streak throughout it long storied past, of all previous Leaf GMs.

The results don't lie, hopefully for Leaf Nation sake its not something we will be asked to endure again any time soon as that was painful to say the least. Better times are now ahead hopefully as change always brings renewed optimism.

Great quote and great post Mess. I feel really good right now as a Leafs fan because I couldn't see Burke taking the team anywhere.

I think Nonis is a better big picture, long term thinking kind of guy...

I'll give him some time of full time duty to evaluate him as concretely as I did with Burke.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The answer to the question of whether this was a good thing depends largely on why he was fired. If he was fired because he didn't want to trade a large package of players for Luongo, as directed by MLSE's board, this is a disaster. Not because of Luongo, who arguably would be a very good acquisition, but because the Directors of MLSE simply ought not be making hockey decisions. That kind of interference would make it impossible for a GM to do an excellent job. What top notch exec would work under those circumstances.

If the firing was for a different reason, then perhaps the only surprising thing is the timing.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Not too happy with it overall. The timing is horrible, as evidenced by all the surprised reactions from players, media, our new GM himself. To say this team will be going in a new direction with almost an identical replacement seems a little premature.

The only difference we can expect is that Nonis gets along better with the people who care about the money and less about the hockey team.

Burke had some gems and some stinkers but I felt like for the most part, he knew what he was doing and he wouldn't do something for the sake of it.

It remains to be seen what happens with this team but I'm a little more worried than I was yesterday. With regards to Luongo, if there isn't already a deal in place, you can bet Gillis will clean us out knowing all the supposed pressure from management to acquire him. This makes our goalie troubles even more difficult.

I don't see why you don't wait a little bit into the season to make a move like this. The timing of this can only harm us.

Additionally, I don't like the idea that it's more important to get along with the upper management (who clearly don't give a crap about hockey as evidenced by Anselmi's diversion of all related questions) more than to make proper hockey decisions for the team.

I suppose we can only speculate as to the more important reasons of Burke's dismissal at this point, but overall I'm not pleased about it, nor do I have any confidence in this team right now.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Perennial basement dwellers under his tenure. One would say that he inherited a pretty aweful roster, but no other person would've made a worse job out of it.

-He won the Beauchemin trade
-He got Phaneuf for next to nothing
-He got Giguere and Fransson for nothing
-He got good value out of Kaberle

Aside from the Kessel's deal, he won most of his trades by a large margin.

Look at Pierre Gauthier's track record in Montreal, he didn't won a single trade in almost three years.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Look at Pierre Gauthier's track record in Montreal, he didn't won a single trade in almost three years.

The trades have resulted in the Leafs being a basement team though.

In other words, no impact.

We should be evaluating on results, not on what team got a better return in individual transactions.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Burke himself said Nonis did all the leg work on the Phaneuf deal, and most deals.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Philosopher Arthur Schopenhaur once said ..

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident".

“Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.”

- Stephen Colbert

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
“Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.â€

- Stephen Colbert

now that's a quote.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Burke did some very good things here, but overall a pretty poor performance.

Him being fired isn't really bad or really good.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
I'm disappointed and confused about this, for the moron who point to his winning pct here or not making the playoffs drying his tenure LOOK at the garbage team he inherited and look at it today, if memory recalls schenn (a 08' draft pick) had the most seniority.... IMO he was the right man for the job and it was too early to fire him, I'm pretty ****ing mad

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Burke should have been given the chance to see what happened with the team this season. If they miss the Playoffs then I could see Burke being fired when the season is over. This would have even made more sense in August 2012 after Bell and Rogers officially took over. Even though Burke was allowed to work on the draft, the Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk trade and free agency, at least this news doesn't come 10 days before the season starts.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
“Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.”

- Stephen Colbert

Forgive me for being "cynical" of the worst record in Leafs history.

Some of you are unbelievable really.

:laugh:

And quoting Stephen Colbert?

Double :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad