Burke out - Good or Bad?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Great news!

Those who understand hockey were bound to win.Horrible free agent signings,clear nepatism in the Kessel trade and Ron Wilson fiasco.Stupid self imposed trade freezes and quite frankly for 4 years of horrible hockey,not that much elite talent in the cupboard.With the new CBA,Luongo has a negative value.Burke was about to overpay and had to be fired.This team is simply horrible and now a true 2 year rebuild can begin.This team had no chance of winning a cup,ever.It was built on a Pejorative Slured model with no number one center,Phaneuff as number one dman? And questionable goaltending while rebuilding his buddies team over in Boston.Today sanity won and Burke's nonsense side show got derailed.I'm celebrating,let the rebuild begin.:handclap:

Gillis is in tears right now,realizing he will now have to pay someone to take that garbage contract instead of robbing Toronto.Goodbye Burke's way,it sucked!

Eat it Burke fans,he sucked!Go have your parade,while the busines of hockey moves on.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Anyone is better than Burke at this point.

So really, still a major victory for true Leafs fans.

He is an advisor for the board...not the operations of the club.

Please gather the facts.

They should have just named Tom Anselmi the GM, as for all intents and purposes, he is now. Is this what you really want.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
They should have just named Tom Anselmi the GM, as for all intents and purposes, he is now. Is this what you really want.

No.

Dave Nonis is the GM.

Burke is a washed up, over-rated wannabe.

And Anselmi is going to make sure Nonis doesn't **** up as bad as Burke.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Spoke to my father who is an executive and he said this was done for human resources purposes to avoid an outright termination/severance.

Ron Wilson is in the same boat as his buddy Burke now also as he to has been fired but still technically being paid by MLSE as a silent advisory role.

Neither Burke nor Wilson can seek employment without permission granted first by MLSE BOG, nor can anyone pursue either of them, as MLSE still control them as paid employees.

Contracts for management are guaranteed and as such even a firing does not sever all ties to the employee under contract, thus the human resources connection upon termination and continued ties to the organization until contract is paid in full.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Those who understand hockey were bound to win

Eat it Burke fans,he sucked!Go have your parade,while the busines of hockey moves on.

I think this all that needs to be said.

People who know hockey know Burke is a fraud.

And he has been the entire time.

And I have been reading a select few posters on here that had the courage to stand up to hoards of Leafs fans who thought otherwise.

Bravo to you intelligent posters. You know who you are!

ALine

May 14, 2012
No.

Dave Nonis is the GM.

Burke is a washed up, over-rated wannabe.

And Anselmi is going to make sure Nonis doesn't **** up as bad as Burke.

Wash up, over rated wannabe? Nonis has been with him every step of the way. What do you for see what Nonis will do that Burke couldn't? You hate Burke but are praising his understudy and advisor for most of his career?

Anselmi will have marching orders for management, Burke had the cajones to resist. Feeble Nonis will capitulate. They said themsves the owners want a more 'democratic' decision making process. This is why Nonis took over.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I won't miss him but I would have been inclined to do this change over the summer. I have never been a Nonis fan. Not that he's a JFJ but I don't see much on his resume that spells golden days for the Leafs. To me the only reason for doing this now is so some specific and imediate moves can be made that BB was not wanting to do himself, and that could be a bunch more deals to build a 16th place club. What can you do but cross your fingers?

hockeyfanz*

And I have been reading a select few posters on here that had the courage to stand up to hoards of Leafs fans who thought otherwise.

I have been calling him a fraud since he arrived. Hated him in Van, Anaheim too.....Ill take my chances with Nonis..although part of me thinks he should have been axed too because of his ties to Burke. Who knows? Maybe Nonis is on a short leash and will need to show progress in this shortened season or he will be gone too.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

ForSpareParts*

the team was in a shambles last season. remember the "bus falling off a cliff" plus all the gaping holes in the line-up? i have no idea why leaf fans feel bad about this. he must have really had you fooled. now we can say with certainty that his fast track (kessel, truculence, "i don't believe in a 5 year plan") has been the death of him (and the sorry franchise). this new direction shall be great.

hockeyfanz*

Ron Wilson is in the same boat as his buddy Burke now also as he to has been fired but still technically being paid by MLSE as a silent advisory role.

Neither Burke nor Wilson can seek employment without permission granted first by MLSE BOG, nor can anyone pursue either of them, as MLSE still control them as paid employees.

Contracts for management are guaranteed and as such even a firing does not sever all ties to the employee under contract, thus the human resources connection upon termination and continued ties to the organization until contract is paid in full.

I seriously doubt that after the Toronto debacle...that Burke will land as an NHL GM anytime soon. He loves the cameras and the sound of his own voice...I wouldn't doubt it if he rides out his career as a hockey "analyst" on some sports network.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Wash up, over rated wannabe? Nonis has been with him every step of the way. What do you for see what Nonis will do that Burke couldn't? You hate Burke but are praising his understudy and advisor for most of his career?

Anselmi will have marching orders for management, Burke had the cajones to resist. Feeble Nonis will capitulate. They said themsves the owners want a more 'democratic' decision making process. This is why Nonis took over.

Nonis did fantastic in Vancouver on his own.

You know...actually building the team.

Something the Leafs havent done in 40 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I think its better stated as "Reality was flushed out today".. There are many intelligent posters/fans within the Leafs fan base, just more optimistic perhaps than others.

I would say those Leaf fans that considered themselves "Realists", that continually attempted to convince those that Burke's firing was imminent and highly predicable were validated for that line of thinking today.

It may have been the vocal minority, but vindication for those beliefs and position taken were supported today by those that matter most and that is MLSE BOG that have the official final say.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I have been calling him a fraud since he arrived. Hated him in Van, Anaheim too.....Ill take my chances with Nonis..although part of me thinks he should have been axed too because of his ties to Burke. Who knows? Maybe Nonis is on a short leash and will need to show progress in this shortened season or he will be gone too.

I'm not too crazy about Nonis either because he's worked so closely with Burke that I'm worried about the Burke suck cloud somehow tainting Nonis. Dave built a good defense and finally stabilized the goaltending after Burke was canned there so I'm willing to give him a shot. I believe you're right though, Nonis will be a short leash. No more entitlement!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

That's what I'm thinking too.

So much for a rebuild..:shakehead

Only been postponing it for 40 years...what's another 10 years matter?

ALine

May 14, 2012
I seriously doubt that after the Toronto debacle...that Burke will land as an NHL GM anytime soon. He loves the cameras and the sound of his own voice...I wouldn't doubt it if he rides out his career as a hockey "analyst" on some sports network.

He won't get a new GM gig anytime soon, because MLSE won't let him. He is still under contract. He will have to wait it out until he is fully let go from the organization.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think its better stated as "Reality was flushed out today".. There are many intelligent posters/fans within the Leafs fan base, just more optimistic perhaps than others.

I would say those Leaf fans that considered themselves "Realists", that continually attempted to convince those that Burke's firing was imminent and highly predicable were validated for that line of thinking today.

It may have been the vocal minority, but vindication for those beliefs and position taken were supported today by those that matter most and that is MLSE BOG that have the official final say.

Can't wait to see what the Disgruntled Observor has to say..and the President whoever

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If it was done during the summer I'd be pretty indifferent, maybe a bit more excited to have a new face for the direction we are going in.

The timing right now was just not right. I realize they probably couldn't do this during the lockout but I think they could have held out for at least most of the season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

A right hand man to Bettman in the NHL head office job might be a good direction for Burke to go next. He worked closely with Bettman during the lockout and his personal beliefs via CBA aligned nicely, but were detrimental to his own hockey team in the process, of neutering MLSE money and buying power even more.

Also this firing has manage to free up more spare time for Burkie, so he can pursue other interest, like riding in parades on real NHL GMs busiest days like trade deadline day or July 1st UFA season. Now those pesky GM commitments to improving a struggling hockey team no longer will get in his way on taking the day off for personal reasons.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He won't get a new GM gig anytime soon, because MLSE won't let him. He is still under contract. He will have to wait it out until he is fully let go from the organization.

This will give 29 other teams a great opportunity to get ahead before he comes in and ruins everything.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Disgusting, and a not proud to be a Leaf fan today. Anyone who watched the presser, questions and Tony Ansalemi (spelling) would know the real reason or reasons he was let go was not revealed. In order to have a succesful team, the GM needed autonomy, which was one of the conditions needed in order for Burke to come to Toronto. It is clear now that the new owners feel they have some ideas on how to run a hockey team, and the cycle has reared it's ugly head yet again. If anyone believes Nonis has full control, is beyond delusional, and will be set up for failure yet again.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Can't wait to see what the Disgruntled Observor has to say..and the President whoever

Agreed. While a good self pat on the back is in order for a lot of us, I would have paid money to see DO's face today when he heard the news.:)

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Disgusting, and a not proud to be a Leaf fan today. Anyone who watched the presser, questions and Tony Ansalemi (spelling) would know the real reason or reasons he was let go was not revealed. In order to have a succesful team, the GM needed autonomy, which was one of the conditions needed in order for Burke to come to Toronto. It is clear now that the new owners feel they have some ideas on how to run a hockey team, and the cycle has reared it's ugly head yet again. If anyone believes Nonis has full control, is beyond delusional, and will be set up for failure yet again.

He got fired because he has the worst record of any GM in Toronto's long history.

Worse than JFJ.

ForSpareParts*

Nonis is a great hockey exec. The Leafs are going to be in good hands with him interim or otherwise. Don't lose faith Leaf fans. The sun will come up tomorrow even without Burke as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad