Burke out - Good or Bad?

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i am annoyed, and really curious as to what actually happened, because we all know something happened in the past day or 2

Number13

May 21, 2007
Such a stupid move. This is why the Leafs never go anywhere, we finally had a GM that was sticking to his vision and slowly obtaining pieces and stocking the prospect cupboards only to fire him. I am very pissed off.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Not even close. Nonis brought in Edler, Schneider, Mitchell, Luongo, and Burrows, and all it cost for the lot was a Bertuzzi, Auld, Allen, a couple draft picks, and money. He was overly patient/hesitant to make big moves at times that could jeopardize the future to win in the present, but at times that is a good thing.
And like half the 2007-2008 team never played another game in the NHL again. He made the worst "depth" signings (if you can even call them that), made terrible trades outside of the Luongo trade, etc.

Drafting is all on the scouting department. GMs get far too much credit/blame for drafts.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
The timing is terrible. I won't know what to feel until I know the direction the team is going under new management.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I am irate at MLSE!!!!!!!!!!! How do they fire a guy who helped craft this new CBA!!!!!!!!

I bet that they were negotiating his contract extension and Burke wanted 5 years and MLSE would only give him 2 or 3 years... Then it got ugly and they decided to axe him...

So Fing stupid!!!! We are going to regret this move for decades....

Perhaps Burke should have been less concerned about changing the rules to his beliefs and more concerned about working within them like the other 29 GM's in the NHL.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Not even close. Nonis brought in Edler, Schneider, Mitchell, Luongo, and Burrows, and all it cost for the lot was a Bertuzzi, Auld, Allen, a couple draft picks, and money. He was overly patient/hesitant to make big moves at times that could jeopardize the future to win in the present, but at times that is a good thing.

Vancouver has won Squat. All that matters is the Cup. Period.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Perhaps Burke should have been less concerned about changing the rules to his beliefs and more concerned about working within them like the other 29 GM's in the NHL.

Perhaps, but why fire him now then when the rules have just basically been taylored to exactly what he was looking for? Sounds like we are headed right back to win just enough at all costs land.

Oh well, I guess nothing ever really changes with MLSE. Maybe it really is all about the money.

Edit - nevermind, Nonis is in, Burke senior advisor. Nothing has really changed. Same game, different name.

Last edited:

Howard Beale

Apr 7, 2010
Vancouver has won Squat. All that matters is the Cup. Period.

I never said they had. What's your point? We can't discuss Dave Nonis' GM record unless his old team won a Cup?

And like half the 2007-2008 team never played another game in the NHL again. He made the worst "depth" signings (if you can even call them that), made terrible trades outside of the Luongo trade, etc.

Drafting is all on the scouting department. GMs get far too much credit/blame for drafts.

His depth signings were bad, no doubt. I'm saying the guy was a great GM, but he wasn't terrible either. I'd say he was pretty average, but he does deserve credit for bringing in some key pieces, and not shipping out the future to bring in Brad Richards or anybody else to save his job.

I agree that GMs get too much credit/blame for drafts and I omitted Hansen and Raymond for that reason, the only drafted players I mentioned were Schneider and Edler. He definitely deserves partial credit for Edler, considering that he traded for a 3rd rounder so we could take him before Detroit, rather than waiting and hoping he'd be available in the 4th round. I also give him some kudos for taking Schneider, considering that he was ranked the 7th best North American goalie by CSS. Not the safest pick for a brand new GM to make with his first ever draft pick, he could have easily opted to take a high ranked skater instead, but the risk paid off.

Bigfinn*

Ecstatic. Team needs a new direction.

new direction.... nonis is taking over and burke is a senior advisor..... thing is really changing.. other than burke stepping aside because of personal reasons....:shakehead

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Perhaps, but why fire him now then when the rules have just basically been taylored to exactly what he was looking for? Sounds like we are headed right back to win just enough at all costs land.

Oh well, I guess nothing ever really changes with MLSE. Maybe it really is all about the money.

Nonis says he's more patient then Burke. That doesn't sound like a guy you hire if you're looking to win now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
new direction.... nonis is taking over and burke is a senior advisor..... thing is really changing.. other than burke stepping aside because of personal reasons....:shakehead

Correction ..

Burke is not a senior advisor for Nonis nor the running of the hockey team..

He was fired as GM and President and will report to the senior MLSE board as an advisor..

That is an important distinction..

Also management contracts are guaranteed and Burke still has this year and next remaining on the balance of his current deal, so technically (for now) ;) he is still a MLSE employee because he is being paid at present.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Correction ..

Burke is not a senior advisor for Nonis nor the running of the hockey team..

He was fired as GM and President and will report to the senior MLSE board as an advisor..

That is an important distinction..

Also management contracts are guaranteed and Burke still has this year and next remaining on the balance of his current deal, so technically (for now) ;) he is still a MLSE employee because he is being paid at present.

Spoke to my father who is an executive and he said this was done for human resources purposes to avoid an outright termination/severance.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
:biglaugh:

Ya all the people rejoicing right now seem to be missing this improtant little detail. :laugh:

Anyone is better than Burke at this point.

So really, still a major victory for true Leafs fans.

He is an advisor for the board...not the operations of the club.

Please gather the facts.

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone is better than Burke at this point.

So really, still a major victory for true Leafs fans.

He is an advisor for the board...not the operations of the club.

Please gather the facts.

Nonis is Burke's Mini me.

Burke V2.0

He is damned near the same.

BUt keep partying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad