Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I for one am basing my take on him on all the games I saw him with the Caps. He is an absolutely useless player whose on ice product doesn't come close to matching the hype.

It most definitely wasn't a worthwhile risk to take on another project. In two years time this guy will play for a team like SKA.

Wow, very big words, I am concerned myself but way too early writing him off. Frustrating watching players with tons of talent and size not able to deliver.

It's only a young year contract after all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wow, very big words, I am concerned myself but way too early writing him off. Frustrating watching players with tons of talent and size not able to deliver.

It's only a young year contract after all.

400 games isn't enough for him to have shown what he is?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I was afraid of that, but made a conscious decision to wait and see. Hes not making it easy..

Donskoi however I was really excited for. The guy played the complementary role for Hertle and Kane for team that is considered a contender. Hes proven to be very solid in that role. Maybe he has more production to give, but even if he does not we have a clear picture of what he can do as the 6th top six forward.

Bura was brought in to score. He does not have a history of good defensive play (by the eye test) or really anything else unless he has some kind of breakout season offensively with more ice and more PP time.

It was a pure coin toss with him that we paid a price for. How much more would Zucker or Kreider have really cost us? Guys that bring crash bang, and can actually do things other than put the puck in the net. I'm not even really a big fan of Kreider, but hes learned to keep it simple and play his role well with consistency. He is probably going to cost too much for too long to keep around past being a rental at this point as well.

I'd even argue Hoffman has been on the market for like ever.. Even seemingly after going to Florida. I won't beat the drum on that too hard though because the locker room stuff is real.

Now I'm sitting here like.. Who is out there for anything we actually want to pay? Our best assets I'd move probably is our 2020 1st, Jost, or Kaut in probably that order. Certainly not for a rental though.

Newhook is an absolute no go with Kadri's contract being somewhat short. Timmins is a **** no with how hes looking versus how EJ is aging. What do we have that we can move? We clearly have trouble attracting top UFAs. We are sort of the back up option you take to the dance if you can't get the girl you really want.

What do we do? Offer Hall 12m/yr long term that we don't or won't have very soon? I don't want to just think about the next four years, but I also don't want to waste them either.
It seems inevitable that Zadorov will be moved before the expansion draft, and him packaged with one of those assets should be able to get a legit top 6 winger. In fact I'd say that that is the obvious move to make given that he doesn't really fit long-term at LHD when we have Girard/Byram/Cole/Rosén/etc (and a solid RHD core in Makar/Johnson/Timmins).

Reactions: MarkT

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I assume you also consider him to be an "absolutely useless player"? (quoting @Ivan13)

What's next, fire Joe Sakic chants (?) you and Ivan13 in a duet perhaps?

I personally think you should take a step back and try to be a bit realistic when it comes to Swedes. There is absolutely no point in going all in on every single post that doesn't paint them in positive terms.

Yes, he is a useless player on a team that is trying to reach the contender status. Not nearly good enough offensively to play in a top 6 role, not nearly good enough defensively to play in a bottom 6 role. He is a 3rd liner on a bottom 5 team in the league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I assume you also consider him to be an "absolutely useless player"? (quoting @Ivan13)

What's next, fire Joe Sakic chants (?) you and Ivan13 in a duet perhaps?

Sorry, I forgot that the infallible one is so perfect that he doesn't even fart :laugh:

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It seems inevitable that Zadorov will be moved before the expansion draft, and him packaged with one of those assets should be able to get a legit top 6 winger. In fact I'd say that that is the obvious move to make given that he doesn't really fit long-term at LHD when we have Girard/Byram/Cole/Rosén/etc (and a solid RHD core in Makar/Johnson/Timmins).

You beat me to it. Zadorov is our ticket to a goal scoring winger. If Bura really is this bad, and two of Rosen/Connauton/Byram/Graves look ready, I might be tempted to move Z during the season if a team is offering a legit goal scorer. Maybe a team desperate for toughness will take both Z and Greer.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You beat me to it. Zadorov is our ticket to a goal scoring winger. If Bura really is this bad, and two of Rosen/Connauton/Byram/Graves look ready, I might be tempted to move Z during the season if a team is offering a legit goal scorer. Maybe a team desperate for toughness will take both Z and Greer.
I agree, however would add that if he's moved during the season it should ideally only be done after Cole returns (and plays at a reasonable level). By December we'll also probably know what we have in Burakovsky too.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think it’s a bit funny that management didn’t think Kerfoot was worth keeping around (not that I disagree), but they go out and get Burakovsky who’s got similar downside and a lower floor. Preseason seems to be confirming that.

It was a pretty low risk move, so I’m not going to dwell on it. I do hope we have a better solution next off season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is going to take a hell of an asset going with Zadorov to get a legit top 6 winger here.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It is going to take a hell of an asset going with Zadorov to get a legit top 6 winger here.

Depends on if Sakic can find a GM in love with what Z brings in terms of physicality. It's a shame there are fewer dumb GMs out there now that Schiarelli and Fenton are gone.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I personally think you should take a step back and try to be a bit realistic when it comes to Swedes. There is absolutely no point in going all in on every single post that doesn't paint them in positive terms.

Yes, he is a useless player on a team that is trying to reach the contender status. Not nearly good enough offensively to play in a top 6 role, not nearly good enough defensively to play in a bottom 6 role. He is a 3rd liner on a bottom 5 team in the league.

Me taking a step back? Ok, it was you writing "absolutely useless player", pretty strong humiliating words and you have to walk the talk, I reacted and now you try to strike back?

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Straight-up... you'd get another reclamation project. You have to dangle Z +1st/Newhook to start getting into legit top 6 territory.

I for one never expected it to be straight up. I had Z + 1st in mind personally, but I know others probably would want to include one of our prospects. If the winger is Z's age or younger, it could be a good move for us.

Reactions: Richard88

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Straight-up... you'd get another reclamation project. You have to dangle Z +1st/Newhook to start getting into legit top 6 territory.
I really don't think Zad is a project. He's inconsistent as hell, but when he's "on" he's fan-freakin-tastic and should fit in every Top6. Half the league would even pin him in their Top4.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Please dont trade Z Joe! Our defense would be talented up the ying yang but not very scary.
Timmins while looks good cant be called a sure thing yet, injuries always happen.
Make a deal with Seattle and extend this guy after he scores 10 g this year.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
We should trade Z to Winnipeg so Mark Scheifele can finally get a good night's sleep. We'll take Ehlers in exchange.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really don't think Zad is a project. He's inconsistent as hell, but when he's "on" he's fan-freakin-tastic and should fit in every Top6. Half the league would even pin him in their Top4.

I'm not saying he's a project, I'm saying he's an inconsistent 4/5D that most teams would like on their bottom pairing, not in their top 4. Combine that with a 1 year deal and him wanting to get paid long-term, his value just isn't great.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What I'd be looking at.... if the Jets struggle this year and decide to go for a retool/rebuild.

Nikolaj Ehlers. I think he'd fit in quite well on this team. The Jets know the value of a bigger, mean Dman like Zadorov, and there's some rumors of Ehlers availability for a while now.

Reactions: Richard88 and MarkT

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Zads & AJG for Caufield could work for me :naughty:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Zads & AJG for Caufield could work for me :naughty:

drool.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Me taking a step back? Ok, it was you writing "absolutely useless player", pretty strong humiliating words and you have to walk the talk, I reacted and now you try to strike back?

Sometimes a player just sucks, even if they are swedish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad