Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Or the right sucker-GM who wants to add "toughness" to his squad :naughty:

But they won't have any skill anyway. :nod:

To me, the winger situation isn't one you can solve right now. You sign Mikko, put Donskoi on the 2nd line, and let Bura try to figure it out on the 3rd for a while. In January you start trying to find a rental winger from a seller. Kreider, Hoffman, Hall and Toffoli could all be available around that time, though Hall is probably the least likley.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sometimes a player just sucks, even if they are swedish.

;-) many Swedish players during the years failing in North America, that's for sure, some has been hurting me more than others. Honestly, I have (or had) no idea how Burakovsky will turn out. For me he is one of these confusing players with tons of talent (and also size for Bura) won can't get it done. Not sure if he is lacking working ethic or winning instinct, something is wrong.

I am hoping but I have no idea, will be "interesting" following though. I'm not a fan of writing things like "absolutely useless player" though but we are all different. It's funny though humiliating players and then actually getting upset back if somebody is reacting. ;-) I thought the whole point of provoking was getting reactions from other people?

Washington have another very confusing (read underperforming) Swedish talent I am following, the speed bullet Axel Jonsson Fjällby, we will see what happens to him. Perhaps Joe Sakic is interested in him too?? ;-)

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don’t even think Bura will get the chance to really show himself. I think once Mikko signs he’ll be off the ice eating Nachos like Yakupov. The guy just isn’t gonna do well with Bednar as his coach.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But they won't have any skill anyway. :nod:

To me, the winger situation isn't one you can solve right now. You sign Mikko, put Donskoi on the 2nd line, and let Bura try to figure it out on the 3rd for a while. In January you start trying to find a rental winger from a seller. Kreider, Hoffman, Hall and Toffoli could all be available around that time, though Hall is probably the least likley.

Yeah, my pipedream is still that Bura gets hot once the games start to count and that Joe doesn't get suckered in by his #s; instead, adding to him to get back a better winger...but that's not happening in this timeline.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, my pipedream is still that Bura gets hot once the games start to count and that Joe doesn't get suckered in by his #s; instead, adding to him to get back a better winger...but that's not happening in this timeline.

Yeah, not at all the Avs' MO. Bowers and Kaut could add a nice little wrinkle to this if they force hands, but really I think the Avs' "solution" to this issue is playing hockey in Boston until March.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
;-) many Swedish players during the years failing in North America, that's for sure, some has been hurting me more than others. Honestly, I have (or had) no idea how Burakovsky will turn out. For me he is one of these confusing players with tons of talent (and also size for Bura) won can't get it done. Not sure if he is lacking working ethic or winning instinct, something is wrong.

I am hoping but I have no idea, will be "interesting" following though. I'm not a fan of writing things like "absolutely useless player" though but we are all different. It's funny though humiliating players and then actually getting upset back if somebody is reacting. ;-) I thought the whole point of provoking was getting reactions from other people?

Washington have another very confusing (read underperforming) Swedish talent I am following, Axel Jonsson Fjällby, we will see what happens to him. Perhaps Joe Sakic is interested in him too? ;-)

It's not about humiliating the player, it's about not glossing over their warts when assessing/critiquing them...and Bura's been around for long enough to show his warts. Like, if you only read my objective critiques of Zadorov you'd never guess that he shares the title of my favorite Av with Landy...but that doesn't mean I love big Nik any less, just that I know better (now) than to let love blind me to objective flaws with the target of that love.

Despite what some on this board would have you think, I am fundamentally optimistic in general and about this team in particular...but that's because this franchise has given us enough reasons to be optimistic without clinging to unrealistic dreams like Bura 'finally putting it all together'. It's not totally impossible, but so far in his career the dude has been a poor-man's Wolski...so we should expect him solving our top 6 holes, not to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

Washington have another very confusing (read underperforming) Swedish talent I am following, the speed bullet Axel Jonsson Fjällby, we will see what happens to him. Perhaps Joe Sakic is interested in him too?? ;-)

Good god I hope NHL jerseys never look like that.

Reactions: 21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, not at all the Avs' MO. Bowers and Kaut could add a nice little wrinkle to this if they force hands, but really I think the Avs' "solution" to this issue is playing hockey in Boston until March.

Do you have any worries about rushing Newhook to fill a top 6 winger spot preventing him from learning everything he'll need to (eventually) replace Kadri at C? I tend to agree that the most likely post-season lineup for us this year will feature Newhook joining the big line, Kadri & Donskoi in our top 6; but I do have some concerns about that Connor'ing his development at C in the longrun.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do you have any worries about rushing Newhook to fill a top 6 winger spot preventing him from learning everything he'll need to (eventually) replace Kadri at C? I tend to agree that the most likely post-season lineup for us this year will feature Newhook joining the big line, Kadri & Donskoi in our top 6; but I do have some concerns about that Connor'ing him.

I think he will be fine long-term as he won't be expected to fill in at the #2C spot right away. That said, I don't see him as a center long-term. I think he will be a 2nd line winger, and a pretty damn solid one for his career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think he will be fine long-term as he won't be expected to fill in at the #2C spot right away. That said, I don't see him as a center long-term. I think he will be a 2nd line winger, and a pretty damn solid one for his career.

That's cause of his skating, right? What if we turn out to be wrong and his skating does continue to give him an advantage at the NHL, would you feel better about him as a C down the road then?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's cause of his skating, right? What if we turn out to be wrong and his skating does continue to give him an advantage at the NHL, would you feel better about him as a C down the road then?

Not just because of that, but it plays a part. Another part is just how he plays the game offensively, he looks like a winger to me. It is unknown if Newhook is even going to play center this year for BC. Mattila is a senior who has manned a top 6 spot the past couple seasons. McBain, Newhook, and Rasanen will be competing for that 2nd line center spot.

Reactions: MarkT and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not just because of that, but it plays a part. Another part is just how he plays the game offensively, he looks like a winger to me. It is unknown if Newhook is even going to play center this year for BC. Mattila is a senior who has manned a top 6 spot the past couple seasons. McBain, Newhook, and Rasanen will be competing for that 2nd line center spot.

Gotcha gotcha...guess Joe will need to look for a highend C prospect in the Mikko trade :sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gotcha gotcha...guess Joe will need to look for a highend C prospect in the Mikko trade :sarcasm:

I've said it for a while, but Bowers is the best current bet for a long-term #2C. The puck skills are the HUGE question. His skating, defensive game, tenacity, effort, etc is all there. But is he more of an all effort 30 point guy, or can he pick up enough skill to be a 55 point guy. If it ends up around 30, you got a great #3C. If he ends up in the 50s, he's your Kadri replacement with Newhook driving the offense from the wing. If Compher gained some consistency to his offense, he could be a guy for that role, but at this stage of his development, he is likely who he is going to be long-term and more of a middle 6 swiss army knife than a guy you want as your #2C.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I really love our current setup. In Newhook, Bowers, Jost and Compher (not to mention Kamenev ;)), we have several players with a legitimate chance of developing into a true 2C, and since we have Kadri we are in zero rush to force any of them into the role.

Now if we were in the same situation with regards to scoring wingers...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Seriously though, out of the group. I can't see Jost or Kamenev ever being a legit #2C... Jost has had 2 full seasons to push that, and he hasn't come close. Kam just sucks. Compher has shown the most, and he's really shown he's probably not quite that level of player. You're down to Newhook and Bowers, and both have significant questions. I'd bet a lot on Newhook becoming a 2nd line player, but I wouldn't bet much on him being a center.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Seriously though, out of the group. I can't see Jost or Kamenev ever being a legit #2C... Jost has had 2 full seasons to push that, and he hasn't come close. Kam just sucks. Compher has shown the most, and he's really shown he's probably not quite that level of player. You're down to Newhook and Bowers, and both have significant questions. I'd bet a lot on Newhook becoming a 2nd line player, but I wouldn't bet much on him being a center.

Well, worst-case scenario we'll just have to sign one of Vincent Trocheck, Tomas Hertl, Mika Zibanejad, or Sean Couturier ;)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, worst-case scenario we'll just have to sign one of Vincent Trocheck, Tomas Hertl, Mika Zibanejad, or Sean Couturier ;)

A live look @cgf

tenor.gif

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This is where the fantasy falls apart for me & I start losing wood...

Hey, they signed Donskoi and I never thought that fantasy would come true. Maybe by then things will be different.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey, they signed Donskoi and I never thought that fantasy would come true. Maybe by then things will be different.

I like Donskoi, and have for a few years now, but he's not a top tier FA. That's an entirely different fish, one that we haven't yet managed to hook in the cap era.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad