Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I like Donskoi, and have for a few years now, but he's not a top tier FA. That's an entirely different fish, one that we haven't yet managed to hook in the cap era.

Baby steps!

By then we'll be back-to-back cup winners. It will be easier.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, my pipedream is still that Bura gets hot once the games start to count and that Joe doesn't get suckered in by his #s; instead, adding to him to get back a better winger...but that's not happening in this timeline.
Zadorov + Burakovsky + 2020 1st <---> top 6 winger :sarcasm:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This is a tough one. If Rantanen doesn't sign, putting him next to MacKinnon might be the best place for him to succeed but MacKinnon might also kill him if he keeps playing like this. Although, I guess some people might not have a problem with the latter.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Zadorov + Burakovsky + 2020 1st <---> top 6 winger :sarcasm:

It's just a matter of time before Murray trades Rakell away for less :dunno:

...if I'm being serious; I do think that Jost would look a lot better playing at Anaheim's pace than he does playing at ours...

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think he'll end up on the 3rd line once Rantanen signs. For all the hate he gets he's one of the best at zone entries and has a good shot. I don't think he's a good fit with Mackinnon since he likes to carry the puck in too.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think he'll end up on the 3rd line once Rantanen signs. For all the hate he gets he's one of the best at zone entries and has a good shot. I don't think he's a good fit with Mackinnon since he likes to carry the puck in too.
until its off his stick, then he could care less

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
I think Burakovsky is a good fit with KHL teams. You know the teams where other Sakic's great signings play.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Since that is the only thing he is good at then he is totally useless on Mack's line.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What I'd be looking at.... if the Jets struggle this year and decide to go for a retool/rebuild.

Nikolaj Ehlers. I think he'd fit in quite well on this team. The Jets know the value of a bigger, mean Dman like Zadorov, and there's some rumors of Ehlers availability for a while now.
I agree that Ehlers would be a good fit on this team, particularly as he is super fast, drives the play, and has good lateral movement. He also draws loads of penalties which would be huge for this team given how loaded PP1 will be. He's good for 25-30 goals as a complementary top 6 winger, and on a long-term and low-cost contract.

That said, for the aforementioned reasons I think Winnipeg would be looking for quite a significant return on him, especially if they're moving him within the division. Winnipeg also need a RHD more than a LHD, though that could change if/when Byfuglien hangs 'em up.

If they did decide to retool a bit, and wanted to move on from Ehlers (for whatever reason), perhaps something around the following deal could work?

Ehlers + Kulikov <----> Zadorov + Kaut + 2020 1st​
  • From our perspective we would get a legit top 6 winger ready right now for our contending window, along with a LHD to replace Zadorov and be a placeholder for 1 year until Byram is ready.
  • Winnipeg would get a young and physical LHD to replace Byfuglien's mean-streak (as he'll retire soon), while adding both a solid prospect and 1st rounder. Maybe throw in Burakovsky as a sweetener.
I think it might be a slight overpayment on our side, as I think Kaut has top 6 potential and also given that Kulikov is essentially a cap dump for Winnipeg, but acquiring a 30 goal / 60 point forward in his prime on a team-friendly contract would be amazing for this team while they are looking to win RIGHT NOW.

Realistically though, I don't see Winnipeg wanting to move him within the division, such deals aren't so common these days. If they were committed to a retool they'd probably be better off riding out Kulikov's contract rather than lowering Ehler's value by stapling him to him. Even so, perhaps they'd consider the package above as a reasonable inter-division return.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I haven't liked Bura's game either so far, but I think it bears reminding that we've had better access to watching pre-season games this year than usual. So we've seen more of what pre-season actually looks like.

By his own account he's had a tough transition to Bednar's system. He doesn't have to be lights out for the Avs, but he still has a shot to contribute more as he gets more comfortable with his line mates and the system.

That said, my expectations are fairly low given how many other similar signings by this team have panned out.

Reactions: shadow1

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So far he looks like I expected. I was hoping Joe would prove me wrong as he does on all his other moves but so far it isn’t looking good.

Guy just can’t get the puck off his stick. His decision making and slow release/passing is just too slow for the speed of today’s NHL.

Still hasn’t even played a regular season game so lots can change but so far Burakovsky looks like Burakovsky.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Burakovsky is PPG through 4 games with 2 GWGs.

#WonTheTrade

This actually raises a good question. How many points does Burakovsky need to score to justify the trade being worth it? Do total points become the only thing that matter, or do we look at isolated cases, like the last two games, where his skill level is so high he scores the game winner solo? A young team being 4-0 vs possibly 2-?-?.

Some other 2nd round picks that have been traded recently:

Forwards:

-Vegas received a third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft and a second-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft in exchange for Nikita Gusev.

-The San Jose Sharks acquired Gustav Nyquist from Detroit Red Wings for 2019 2nd Round Pick & Conditional 2020 3rd Round Pick.

-The Florida Panthers receive the Arizona Coyotes 2018 2nd round pick and a 2017 3rd round pick for Dave Bolland and Lawson Crouse.

-The Washington Capitals receive the Florida Panthers 2018 2nd round pick and Toronto’s 2018 3rd round pick from the New Jersey Devils for Marcus Johansson.

-The Montreal Canadiens receive the Washington Capitals 2018 2nd round pick and a 2017 2nd round pick for Lars Eller.

Defense:

-The New York Rangers acquired Adam Fox from Carolina Hurricanes for 2019 second round pick and 2020 conditional third round pick.

-The Philadelphia Flyers acquired Justin Braun from the San Jose Sharks for a 2019 second round pick and 2020 third round pick.

-The Detroit Red Wings receive the Ottawa Senators 2018 2nd round and the New York Rangers 2017 3rd round pick from the Rangers for Brendan Smith.

If he scores ~45 points, the value seems fair for this trade.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I really don't think points are all that matter. I'd rather have a 20 point guy like Winnik than a 45 point guy like Burakovsky.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really don't think points are all that matter. I'd rather have a 20 point guy like Winnik than a 45 point guy like Burakovsky.

This. Over-emphasizing points alone is why some Leafs fans think that BDK was better for us than Jimmothy.

The big concern with Bura is how much will he contribute when he gets cold again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad