Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
3rd best in points? He's tied with Rants who missed 13 games so no.
3rd best in effort? Certainly not
3rd best defensively? nope.
3rd best in his role? nope.

So...was he our 3rd best forward? No.
Who’s been better? Landy and Kadri despite having been great defensively in the past have been quite poor defensively this year.

I got Nate and Rantanen ahead of him. Can’t find anyone else. Kadri’s close though.

Reactions: 21 and missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Who’s been better? Landy and Kadri despite having been great defensively in the past have been quite poor defensively this year.

I got Nate and Rantanen ahead of him. Can’t find anyone else. Kadri’s close though.

I don't think he's been "better" (as-in game changer) than Kadri, Donskoi or post-october Nuke.

Donks for example is only 6 points behind while playing 2 fewer games. He's also a better player when not on the scoreboard.

Kadri has been arguably better because of his position, I'm not the biggest fan but at least he has a physical dimension to his game (it's overrated but it's there).

Nuke's presence on the ice is much more impactful than Bura's.

I didn't list Landy because he played like shit but he's better than Bura without the puck as well.

In the end though I'm more than happy with Bura's production, I just don't want to sign him long term. I'd be OK if he's gone at the end of the year (even though it's doubtful). He's kind of like an upgraded version of Kerfoot: good stats but you don't want to rely on him.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think he's been "better" (as-in game changer) than Kadri, Donskoi or post-october Nuke.

Donks for example is only 6 points behind while playing 2 fewer games. He's also a better player when not on the scoreboard.

Kadri has been arguably better because of his position, I'm not the biggest fan but at least he has a physical dimension to his game (it's overrated but it's there).

Nuke's presence on the ice is much more impactful than Bura's.

I didn't list Landy because he played like **** but he's better than Bura without the puck as well.

In the end though I'm more than happy with Bura's production, I just don't want to sign him long term. I'd be OK if he's gone at the end of the year (even though it's doubtful). He's kind of like an upgraded version of Kerfoot: good stats but you don't want to rely on him.
I mean he leads the team in game winning goals. That sort of changes a game.

He’s behind only Mackinnon in game tying points. That sort of changes a game.

He’s second among forwards in go-ahead points.

so not only is he our 3rd most productive forward, he’s even better than that in important moments. But yeah he’s not a game changer like Donskoi hey.

I don’t know what you define as “game changing” but positively changing games appears to not be it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you Eddie.

In fact, I'd actually argue, especially relative to expectations, that the only guy who has certainly exceeded Bura this season has been Mackinnon. I'd come very close to including Nichushkin here as well.

Relative to expectations Burakovsky has been better than everyone else on the team.

Landy and Kadri have both overall been pretty average. Kadri has been good offensively but defensively he's been a little below what I had hoped from him. Landy has just been meh all season long. I even include Rantanen in the "meh" category for this year, probably of no fault of his own since I truly believe he's playing at about 75% of what he's capable of due to his injury.

But ya... A lot of guys on this team are meeting expectations going into the year. Very few are actually exceeding them and a couple of guys are certainly below expectations(I'd put Jost, and to a lesser extent Compher in this category).

Behind Mackinnon and Rantanen, Bura would be the 3rd forward on this team I would want and trust on the ice in the 3rd period if we desperately needed a goal. So ya I'd say he's been our 3rd best forward this year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I can definitely see what frustrated Caps fans for so many years. He has a deadly shot, actually has really good vision, but damn does it take him a while to make a decision. If he ever finds a way to have an assertive attitude consistently he's going to be a gamer. It takes certain players longer to find their confidence and be sure of themselves, hell, we have seen plenty of very talented players never fulfill their potential because they can't get it figured out mentally.

I'm hoping that having a super competitive MacKinnon on the team pushing him will get him to get it locked in.

Reactions: flyfysher

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
People are going to nitpick his game until he's out of the league, but he's clearly the Avs most dangerous forward when the MacKinnon line isn't on the ice, and it isn't even close.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
People are going to nitpick his game until he's out of the league, but he's clearly the Avs most dangerous forward when the MacKinnon line isn't on the ice, and it isn't even close.

This is why Sakic will want to re-sign him. How much for salary and term? I can't even begin to figure this one out because he's the jack of all trades. Burakovsky can play anywhere up and down the line.

Reactions: shadow1

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I love him more and more each game.

I know I’m in a territory of my own with my Burakovsky love so I’m expecting a lot of hate for this but I think Burakovsky has been the Avs third best forward this year. Better than Landy and Kadri whose solid defensive resumes have been subpar this season.

I might not count since I don't post too often, but I've been a huge fan since ~2014 following him in his pre-NHL days so your not completely on an island. I was convinced he was going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. After a few wasted years, his game/development seems to be back on track. I still believe he has another level he can reach though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is why Sakic will want to re-sign him. How much for salary and term? I can't even begin to figure this one out because he's the jack of all trades. Burakovsky can play anywhere up and down the line.

I'd be hesitant to go long term yet, but I suspect Bura will be looking for a longer term security type of deal.

I dunno. I'd love to get him on a 2 year ~5M deal.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'd be hesitant to go long term yet, but I suspect Bura will be looking for a longer term security type of deal.

SoundwaveisCharisma is correct. If Burakovsky learns to become more assertive in driving the puck a la MacKinnon (part of that is chemistry with your linemates) then look out. I'd guess 3-4 years. How much in salary? No clue. But if I represented him, I'd argue that he's the model type of Avs forward because he can play up and down the lines and that gives JB the flexibility to move the likes of Landeskog and Rantanen down. In that sense, the nature of this team has fundamentally changed. This is now clearly MacKinnon's team. This gives the Avs the flexibility to fundamentally change the nature of the line-ups and the weapons they can ice at any given time in terms of customizing the match ups or dealing with injury. And Burakovsky's speed is useful. The downside is his offensive inconsistency although he continued to contribute defensively (with the occasional and memorable brain fart play). I tend to think he came in on a downside with the fan base because they felt Sakic overpaid and unnecessarily gave up a 2nd. Then, they were instantly on him when he didn't immediately produce. Let's just say they could have stood to be more patient in evaluating him. I agree with 95snipes' assessment and could still see Burakovsky developing into a more consistent scorer. I'm not as leery as some like cgf about his propensity for scoring.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The other thing with Bura is he never really changes the way he shoots, everytime he's trying to picka corner. It's absolutely deadly when he can get it off and get it through, but if he just added another dimension to simply throw the puck onto the net instead of going for a snipe it would be a huge boon.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That'd be a steal quite frankly. I'd be beyond shocked if he settles for that. Dude already has 35 points in 47 games. He should easily be able to hit the 20 goal/50 point mark. That's worth way more than 2yrs/$5 mil.

Reactions: McMetal

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
3rd best in points? He's tied with Rants who missed 13 games so no.
3rd best in effort? Certainly not
3rd best defensively? nope.
3rd best in his role? nope.

So...was he our 3rd best forward? No.
He is tied with Rants for second in points as a forward. So yes, he is 3rd in points because Rants did it in fewer games.
For effort, I would put him in a clump in the middle. A few for sure above him, a few clearly below, but a bunch that could go either way, depending on recency bias.
Defensively, not sure he has been worse than a couple of the ones he is supposed to be worse than. But the ones that have been for sure better are mostly a BIG step down offensively.
Who has been a better 2nd line winger? That is his role. And he has done as well in that role as pretty much any other forward on the team in their respective roles...MacK, Calvert and Nuke are it for ones I consider to have been better in their roles. I could see arguments for PEB and Donk. While Rants is better, he has not been performing as well in his role ($9M+ winger) as Bura has as 2LW. Landy has been rather poor this year overall, and especially in his role as 1LW. Jost, JTC, and Neito have not.
Adding talent into the mix, I would put him as 4th, roughly in line with Kadri and Landy (now).

If you were to rank the forwards in those categories, would be interesting to see where they come out when you sum them. For giggles, I tried it. Using my subjective rankings/groupings, Bura came in a four way tie for 2nd with Rants, Donk, and Calvert. MacK was clear #1, Jost was 12th by a hair (Nieto).
Full order: Mack....... (Bura/Rants/Donk/Calvert). Kadri. Nuke, PEB... JTC, Landy... Neito, Jost.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nate
Mikko (though still disappointing)
Burakovsky
Kadri
Donskoi
Landeskog
Calvert
Nuke

that would be my forward ranking among those names. Not “pound per pound” or based on their role or anything like that. That’s my straight up ranking of how good those forwards have been.

Reactions: Tweaky

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
How much is a 24 year old, 60 point 2nd line winger that can drive, dish and score with the puck, is decent defensively and can play up and down all four lines as needed, worth? I think Sakic would look for a 3-year term. If I'm Burakovsky, I want at least 4 years at 5M. However, I'd say Colorado is the perfect place for him as a player in terms of fit. Ehlers, slightly younger has 40 points in 53 games compared to Burakovsky with 39 points in 48 games played. Ehlers is on a 7 year 6M AAV contract. I'm thinking it'd be nuts to let him walk.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Yes, Burakovsky finally having a breakthrough season, good for him and the Avs. Everybody could see his raw offensive talent (clearly visible in OHL) but not until now he is breaking through in the NHL, good coaching, line mates and more icetime. Finally self confidence and the mental part is huge for Burakovsky I think. He has been given me the impression before being rather weak mentally. Hopefully he will be more consistent from now on.

"Listen, you have all the tools and amazing talent but you have to work much harder if you want to reach your potential and stay in the NHL." :sarcasm:

Burakovsky is now also a player for the Swedish national team, no doubts about that. We will see what happens between the NHL and the Olympics, I have no idea. He could be a good tool for us when humiliating Canadians and Finns, winning the gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudden Nordique

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm at the point with Burakovsky where I'm willing to forgive his cold stretches in exchange for games like that last one. He'll likely always be a streaky player, but over the course of a season it seems like it will average itself out to a great second line scoring forward who provides a real offensive shot in the arm and occasionally takes over games. He doesn't have to be an elite two-way player if he can provide this much offensive punch (and the defensive responsibilities of a winger aren't immense, either).

The real final test, of course, will be the playoffs. If he disappears when the real hockey is played, disregard all of this and drop him like a bad habit. But so far, I'd call this experiment a success.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I'm at the point with Burakovsky where I'm willing to forgive his cold stretches in exchange for games like that last one. He'll likely always be a streaky player, but over the course of a season it seems like it will average itself out to a great second line scoring forward who provides a real offensive shot in the arm and occasionally takes over games. He doesn't have to be an elite two-way player if he can provide this much offensive punch (and the defensive responsibilities of a winger aren't immense, either).

The real final test, of course, will be the playoffs. If he disappears when the real hockey is played, disregard all of this and drop him like a bad habit. But so far, I'd call this experiment a success.

Playoff performance is one of the only things you hear Caps fans praise him for.

Reactions: 21

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nate
Mikko (though still disappointing)
Burakovsky
Kadri
Donskoi
Landeskog
Calvert
Nuke

that would be my forward ranking among those names. Not “pound per pound” or based on their role or anything like that. That’s my straight up ranking of how good those forwards have been.

Crazy how Landeskog has been falling through the ranking, sad. :-(

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sakic will have to put aside some extra money to extend Burakovski, Nichushkin and Zadorov (unless he's traded).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Nuke keeps the 2nd line Wing spot the rest of the year he could hit 40 points. But the way he plays the Avs would be dumb to not bring him back.

I'd look at a 2-3 year deal in the ~3M neighborhood for him.

Bura is tricky. He might actually hit 60 points at this point. If he does he's going to want 6+ at least and I just dont know if that's worth it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How much is a 24 year old, 60 point 2nd line winger that can drive, dish and score with the puck, is decent defensively and can play up and down all four lines as needed, worth? I think Sakic would look for a 3-year term. If I'm Burakovsky, I want at least 4 years at 5M. However, I'd say Colorado is the perfect place for him as a player in terms of fit. Ehlers, slightly younger has 40 points in 53 games compared to Burakovsky with 39 points in 48 games played. Ehlers is on a 7 year 6M AAV contract. I'm thinking it'd be nuts to let him walk.

Umm...
Playoff performance is one of the only things you hear Caps fans praise him for.

Fingers crossed that that wasn't them just looking for a silver-lining with a player that they had grown frustrated with.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Nuke keeps the 2nd line Wing spot the rest of the year he could hit 40 points. But the way he plays the Avs would be dumb to not bring him back.

I'd look at a 2-3 year deal in the ~3M neighborhood for him.

Bura is tricky. He might actually hit 60 points at this point. If he does he's going to want 6+ at least and I just dont know if that's worth it.

If he does well in the playoffs you take Bura to arbitration and make him do it again next season before committing any term to him.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
The other thing with Bura is he never really changes the way he shoots, everytime he's trying to picka corner. It's absolutely deadly when he can get it off and get it through, but if he just added another dimension to simply throw the puck onto the net instead of going for a snipe it would be a huge boon.
If you shot the puck like he does, would you just simply throw the puck on net?

Dude has the best wrister on the team. Yes even better than Nate. He just needs more time to get it off than Nate though.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad