Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hall is pretty similar to Kadri in that he creates a lot of things on his own but doesn't really make much use of his linemates. I'm not sure they would be great fits on a line together. Hall is certainly more talented than Kadri and can create more with his individual efforts, but neither would really elevate the other most likely.

I don't disagree that that's what Hall does best, but he's an underrated playmaker and it's a much bigger part of his game than it is for Naz.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Stop confusing me!

At least we know Sakic kicked the tires on that.

lol fair enough.

I don't stress about it because Shero got that piece...or at least he thinks he did...that I didn't want us to offer for Hall. If he hadn't gotten Bahl as part of that deal and had had to settle for a collection of secondary pieces & 1sts; then there could have been a discussion to be had about whether we should've ante'd up or not. But since the cost of topping the yotes' offer would've been Byram, that's a non-issue for me & there's nothing to be disappointed by.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nothing suggests that Sakic would have been comfortable with a plan A of Jost at 2C. Especially after trading Soda.

If Jost was the plan A, they wouldn't have traded Barrie for Kadri, and tried to trade him for Horvat. They would have traded Barrie for a winger.

IMO, Horvat was plan A, Kadri was plan B, and Jost wasn't even in the conversation for 2C. They were trying to slot him in as 2LW/3C.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nothing suggests that Sakic would have been comfortable with a plan A of Jost at 2C. Especially after trading Soda.

If Jost was the plan A, they wouldn't have traded Barrie for Kadri, and tried to trade him for Horvat. They would have traded Barrie for a winger.

IMO, Horvat was plan A, Kadri was plan B, and Jost wasn't even in the conversation for 2C. They were trying to slot him in as 2LW/3C.

Which was still f***ing stupid. Compher is somewhat understandable though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Which was still ****ing stupid. Compher is somewhat understandable though.

They're both understandable IMO. Jost had been given opportunities in spurts, but he also spent a lot of time in 3rd and 4th line roles. They needed to see what they had in him.

The worse result happened in that Jost has seemed to lose all confidence, and isn't a capable 3C at the moment either, but that isn't a major hole in the lineup. It can be remedied with a cheapish deadline deal, and Bura and Donskoi have filled in as capable 2nd line wingers.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I understand the bashing of Jost because he is a disapointment for a 10th overall pick.

But when I look back at that draft, I barely see a handful of players that are significantly better than him that were picked afterward. So is the bashing of the scouts/GM justified to have picked him, when there weren't that many better options, in hindsight?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Can’t figure out for the life of me why he isn’t been put back with Mackinnon yet. Avs were winning, Mackinnon was producing as well as he was with anyone and Burakovsky was scoring like crazy.

He doesn’t work with Kadri.
He doesn’t work in the bottom six.

Put him with Mackinnon and allow Mikko or Landy to play down the lineup.

Reactions: 95snipes

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can’t figure out for the life of me why he isn’t been put back with Mackinnon yet. Avs were winning, Mackinnon was producing as well as he was with anyone and Burakovsky was scoring like crazy.

He doesn’t work with Kadri.
He doesn’t work in the bottom six.

Put him with Mackinnon and allow Mikko or Landy to play down the lineup.

Pretty sure he was put with MacKinnon and he was just as useless there as he's been with everyone else since returning from injury.

The misplayed 2-on-1 in OT is just indicative why he is so godforsakenly frustrating. He overthinks everything, if he had just put it on net there's a chance it would've either gone in or coughed up a rebound that Makar could've taken advantage of.

I definitely do not want this guy back even if he somehow hits 20 goals, which is still possible.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I understand the bashing of Jost because he is a disapointment for a 10th overall pick.

The 10oa is a small part of it. The biggest issue is that he's barely an NHL player and has been spoonfed opportunity after opportunity even though he's shown nothing at the NHL level.

Pretty sure he was put with MacKinnon and he was just as useless there as he's been with everyone else since returning from injury.

The misplayed 2-on-1 in OT is just indicative why he is so godforsakenly frustrating. He overthinks everything, if he had just put it on net there's a chance it would've either gone in or coughed up a rebound that Makar could've taken advantage of.

I definitely do not want this guy back even if he somehow hits 20 goals, which is still possible.

If the dude had any semblance of hockey IQ and some more consistent confidence he'd be a hell of a player. But the dude is never good for more than 5/6 games in a row.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

As in you don’t even want him on the roster?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1 Goal and 3 points away from matching his career high. 32 games left to do it

He's certainly not a player without his issues, but I think it's fair to say this has been another quality acquisition from Sakic and our management team.

A late 2nd and late 3rd for what's looking like a 25 Goal, 50-60 point 2nd liner. Almost exactly what we needed this summer.

I'm a little worried about his next contract but that's an offseason problem.

The thing I like the most about his game is how effective he is at entering the offensive zone with puck possession. He creates a lot of space doing that and has turned into a solid possession player for us because of that. If he could ever find a little more compete on the defensive side of the game he could really be quite the player.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think he's fine as an interim measure, I just don't trust the guy to really ever be reliable enough to be a mainstay.
I love him more and more each game.

I know I’m in a territory of my own with my Burakovsky love so I’m expecting a lot of hate for this but I think Burakovsky has been the Avs third best forward this year. Better than Landy and Kadri whose solid defensive resumes have been subpar this season.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I love him more and more each game.

I know I’m in a territory of my own with my Burakovsky love so I’m expecting a lot of hate for this but I think Burakovsky has been the Avs third best forward this year. Better than Landy and Kadri whose solid defensive resumes have been subpar this season.

I don't disagree with any of that...I just feel like having Burakovsky as your third-best forward is akin to being at a fancy restaurant with a shaky table, so you shove a menu underneath one of the legs. At some point, you just gotta fix the table.

Being kind of a contrarian at times on this board I can't begrudge your Bura-love, I just can't share in it. The guy's brain farts just frustrate me to no end. I'll freely admit that the team would be in pretty dire straits without him this year, so the trade was a good one, I'm just wary of keeping a guy like that around long-term.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't disagree with any of that...I just feel like having Burakovsky as your third-best forward is akin to being at a fancy restaurant with a shaky table, so you shove a menu underneath one of the legs. At some point, you just gotta fix the table.

Being kind of a contrarian at times on this board I can't begrudge your Bura-love, I just can't share in it. The guy's brain farts just frustrate me to no end. I'll freely admit that the team would be in pretty dire straits without him this year, so the trade was a good one, I'm just wary of keeping a guy like that around long-term.
I agree with that completely. I don’t think Burakovsky should be your third best forward. I just think he has been.

I think if Burakovsky could be your 6th best player in your top 6 you’re looking good. I really do believe he’s a top 6 winger and if he can okay with two guys even better than him it means you’re in good shape. I think Kadri is a better player in general. If we could add another good winger on the other side of that line I’d be very pleased.

FTR I wasn’t a fan of this trade. Thought it was a huge overpayment for a bad player. I now think the complete opposite.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
"Has been our 3rd best forward" is not a good way to judge his value to the team.

Since it's all subjective, I prefer this way of thinking...

Forwards I'd rather keep on the team than Bura, for various reasons including their role:

Mack
Landy
Rants
Donks
Kadri
Nuke
Calvert

I'm on the fence with PEB since he might very well become more important than Bura for the playoffs, especially if we don't have a 3C.

That leaves JTC, Nieto, Jost and Kamenev who are behind him.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
"Has been our 3rd best forward" is not a good way to judge his value to the team.

Since it's all subjective, I prefer this way of thinking...

Forwards I'd rather keep on the team than Bura, for various reasons including their role:

Mack
Landy
Rants
Donks
Kadri
Nuke
Calvert

I'm on the fence with PEB since he might very well become more important than Bura for the playoffs, especially if we don't have a 3C.

That leaves JTC, Nieto, Jost and Kamenev who are behind him.
I didn’t say anything about his value to the team. I said I think he’s been their third best forward. thats a completely different topic.

That’s like you saying Ryan Graves is our 2nd best LHD this season and I jump in talking about how much value Byram has.

Weird way to turn around what I was talking about.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I didn’t say anything about his value to the team. I said I think he’s been their third best forward. thats a completely different topic.

That’s like you saying Ryan Graves is our 2nd best LHD this season and I jump in talking about how much value Byram has.

Weird way to turn around what I was talking about.
3rd best forward means nothing. Like, nothing at all.

It's meaningless unless you list your criteria.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well it means he’s been their third best forward, for starters.

3rd best in points? He's tied with Rants who missed 13 games so no.
3rd best in effort? Certainly not
3rd best defensively? nope.
3rd best in his role? nope.

So...was he our 3rd best forward? No.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In terms of pure firepower, Burakovsky is the third-most talented winger on the team. I'd put both Landeskog and Rantanen ahead of him, but that's it. We can argue there are better all-around players than him, but for putting the puck in the net the best guys are MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Landeskog, and Burakovsky, in that order. I feel like they need at least one more top six scoring winger to fill out that depth chart, at the very least taking some of the burden off of Burakovsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad