Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That's the point. I know Kerfoot doesnt bring anything else to the table, just like Bura. You can't look at those two players' stats at the end of the year and conclude that they are good.

Burakovsky is essentially a taller Kerfoot with a better shot. Lets hope someone else will inherit the 14M contract this time again.

Ehhhh I can actually kinda see your point but I think you're glossing over some stuff for the sake of argument. Both players are very good at getting the puck out of danger and into the attacking zone but I'd argue Burakovsky is still more of a defensive liability.

Kevin Fiala is whom I'd compare Burakovsky to. Very talented, very nice underlying numbers, but the production isn't there. Fortunately for the Wylde (and a little too late for Paul Fenton) it appears Fiala has finally figured out how to play this season. I don't have as much hope for Burakovsky.

But I agree. Burakovsky looks like a perpetual project, he's likely not worth a long-term (or even short-term) investment.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The issue with Bura is that when he’s snake bitten(which is a lot) he’s a big time negative on the ice. At least Dong is great on the forecheck and a good PK’er.

No doubt. We just have to hope he gets going again because he's generating chances every night, just not cashing in.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So let me ask a hypothetical... If Bura ends up with 22g and 22a for 44 points, how do you feel about that from him?

On paper... I'd be pretty happy with that season. Though it would be a disappointing drop off from his production right now.

But 20+ goals and basically 45 points is exactly what I would hope for from my 2nd line winger and is what I was hoping for from Bura before the season started.

And he's not anywhere near as frustrating on the ice as Kerfoot was. Not IMO anyways. Kerfoot was used as a Center and relied upon to be a Defensive Center with his usage despite flat out sucking at it. Burakovsky isn't being used in that same regard and in the way he is being used I'd be fine with a 22G, 45 point campaign.

Dont get me wrong he's not a guy I want around long term and I'd be very hesitant to re-sign him for more than a 1-2 year deal at this point.

But I definitely think he is being unfairly ridiculed by HFAvs on a regular basis while guys like Donskoi and Kadri are getting free passes. And quite frankly the Avs offense in general has dried up lately. Mack and his line aren't producing like they should be, and really none of the other lines are either. It's actually the Bellemare/Nuke/Calvert line that is performing the best offensively relative to expectations right now and IMO that's a big reason why we're 1-3-1 in our last 5 games. Even just 1 or 2 goals more from our Top 2 lines over the last 5 games, and we probably win 2 of those games we lost and we're above .500 instead of just 1 win in 5 attempts.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Burakovsky hits the 20-goal mark I'd say the trade has been a success. If he also has somewhere around 50 points, I think it's a resounding success. Still would be wary of giving him an extension, but they probably would if he managed that.

And postseason production would play a big role as well. If he suddenly turned it on then, he would be back, no question.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Fair enough. We will see it play out more throughout the season.

I would agree that Kadri and Donskoi should be getting more heat. Kadri hasn't played well at all for a while. Donskoi's long break in scoring has seemingly hit. I think with Donskoi though, first, he's more useful off the puck... second, people expected a long drought and more of a 3rd line sort of guy. He is after all, the guy who basically went the last half of the season not scoring a goal for San Jose. He's nothing more than a 3rd liner who can play up when needed. His production is bound to take a major hit to finish the season. He's just not that good offensively to keep the pace he was playing at.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I definitely think he is being unfairly ridiculed by HFAvs on a regular basis while guys like Donskoi and Kadri are getting free passes.

Donks is incredibly more effective with and without the puck (and he can PK). Both him and Bura got highly inflated offensive stats from playing with Mack in God mode while the rest of the top line was injured.

Kadri's free pass is running out though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Burakovsky is notionally streaky production wise, but what I’m noticing of him so far in Colorado is that even when he isn’t hot, he’s still creating plenty of offense.

He’s a horrible defensive player but I think he’s been great otherwise. I’m noticing him doing great things every single night. Unlike someone like Duchene who can’t get out of his own way when he’s in a slump.

Reactions: AvsGuy and shadow1

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Burakovsky is notionally streaky production wise, but what I’m noticing of him so far in Colorado is that even when he isn’t hot, he’s still creating plenty of offense.

He’s a horrible defensive player but I think he’s been great otherwise. I’m noticing him doing great things every single night. Unlike someone like Duchene who can’t get out of his own way when he’s in a slump.

I feel like this is less true of his most recent streak, which is why this one bothers me more than his previous ones.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like this is less true of his most recent streak, which is why this one bothers me more than his previous ones.

Yeah, you could see he was about to enter a different kind of slump than he had previously. He would do things in games to help the team, or struggle in a game then find the net with his wicked wrister, but the last 10 games or so he's just been playing nonchalant hockey and not really doing much of anything positive.

His decision making has just been poor. He's hanging on to the puck way too long and turning it over way too often. He was playing a similar game stylistically before, but he was firing on all cylinders, so he'd move the puck when he got in trouble, or get a shot off before defenders closed off on him.

I said this before, but Bednar really needs to work with him and pump his tires. This is a situation where he can make a big difference, because I think Bura needs someone to believe in him, so that he'll believe in the details that Bednar is telling him he needs to get better at.

He's on a 5 game pointless streak right now, and only has one point (a goal) in his last 9 games. The longer this slump goes, the more it will effect Bura's confidence, and the worse he'll play in the second half and the playoffs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Based on what? He looks exactly the same to me. The quantity metrics in the last 12 games are nearly identical to what they were prior to those games.

Individual CF/60: 12:41 in first 25 games. 12.48 in last 12.

Individual scoring chances for: 6.62 in first 25 games. 7.91 in last 12 games.

Individual High Danger CF: 2.07 in first 25 games. 1.66 in last 12 games.

Individual XGF: 0.47 through 25 games. 0.46 through last twelve.

He’s actually shooting the puck more and getting more scoring chances during this slump. The HDCF shows that he might be over passing a little in close but that’s about it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, you could see he was about to enter a different kind of slump than he had previously. He would do things in games to help the team, or struggle in a game then find the net with his wicked wrister, but the last 10 games or so he's just been playing nonchalant hockey and not really doing much of anything positive.

His decision making has just been poor. He's hanging on to the puck way too long and turning it over way too often. He was playing a similar game stylistically before, but he was firing on all cylinders, so he'd move the puck when he got in trouble, or get a shot off before defenders closed off on him.

I said this before, but Bednar really needs to work with him and pump his tires. This is a situation where he can make a big difference, because I think Bura needs someone to believe in him, so that he'll believe in the details that Bednar is telling him he needs to get better at.

He's on a 5 game pointless streak right now, and only has one point (a goal) in his last 9 games. The longer this slump goes, the more it will effect Bura's confidence, and the worse he'll play in the second half and the playoffs.

To some extent this is just who Bura is & something that he needs to change internally, but a coach can have some influence here. So -- assuming Joe isn't open to flipping Bura for an upgrade -- here's to hoping Bednar & Bura have that kind of relationship :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing

humbury8

Jul 1, 2019
We have finally good depth and I feel like some of us are still disappointed. You can't have 12 Mackinnons on the team. You can't expect that everybody will have fantastic 82 games and ppg. Burakovsky is having a career-high season in his first season with us, what do you want more? He is not that kind of player who will excel in defensive play, he is a pure goalscorer, he needs to play with playmaking C and he will score a lot of goals. And to be fair, who played good in the last 10 games? Bellemare's line for sure. But who else? Even Mackinnon is not playing that good since the big boys are back in the lineup. We are kind of struggling as a team right now but still holding second place in the conference and we will play well soon enough again. We are too good to struggle for a long time.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So let me ask a hypothetical... If Bura ends up with 22g and 22a for 44 points, how do you feel about that from him?

I'd be thrilled with the production on paper. However, his skills are so obvious when he shines that those numbers will still seem a bit low for what his peaks suggest he could do.

That's just the type of player he is...streaky. In no world, would I be opposed to resigning him...but it comes down to cost and years and if he takes a discount due to his lack of defensive acumen and wanting to be a part of this team he can be a real supporter of while not being a star.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd be thrilled with the production on paper. However, his skills are so obvious when he shines that those numbers will still seem a bit low for what his peaks suggest he could do.

That's just the type of player he is...streaky. In no world, would I be opposed to resigning him...but it comes down to cost and years and if he takes a discount due to his lack of defensive acumen and wanting to be a part of this team he can be a real supporter of while not being a star.

Well that's the thing in terms of re-singing him and for how much. Even if he has an inconsistent year, if he has a 20 goal, 40-45 point season, that's a career high, and he'll have been a good depth addition, and will justify the trade.

But if he has a really good first half of the season, and a bad second half, how much is that kind of player worth, when he doesn't bring much to the table when he's not scoring? Not as much as a 20 goal, 40-45 point guy two way guy that works hard most games.

Bura's arbitration eligible as an RFA this summer. I think the best approach might be to just take it 1 year at a time with him. Maybe he gets claimed in expansion and they don't lose any defenseman.

Then again, if he can heat up again in the second half, and have a good playoffs, he's going to command a pretty penny. He'll have proved himself as a good player, but how much do you commit to him long term, with only one good year under his belt?

I think the best course might still be to just take his arbitration award, and potentially lose him in expansion.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Despite the current offensive slump, and despite everybody hating this guy, I admit I absolutely love him.

He sucks defensively but he brings so much positivity with the puck. Everyone can keep hating on him but I actually like him more and more with each game.

Reactions: 95snipes and Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Despite the current offensive slump, and despite everybody hating this guy, I admit I absolutely love him.

He sucks defensively but he brings so much positivity with the puck. Everyone can keep hating on him but I actually like him more and more with each game.

You are f***in weird sometimes lol. I'm fine with him killing offense and looking cute when hes on lower lines, but when hes dancing around and coughing it up while playing on the top two lines its infuriating.

You kind of just want your bottom six to produce here and there, but at least drive play the right direction.

When the dude is cold, not shooting, and can't get his passes through he sucks the life out of whatever line hes on. Don't really care how good at zone entries he is at that point.

He definitely does not bother me as much as Kerfoot, but Bednar needs to move him down the lineup in these instances, but also find a way to do that so hes still a positive force, but without crushing his confidence. That is a tall task. Hes done a good enough job with Z, but it is going to be a constant battle with some polarizing decisions at times. Z really is more about effort and focus than confidence though.

If Burakovsky hits the 20-goal mark I'd say the trade has been a success. If he also has somewhere around 50 points, I think it's a resounding success. Still would be wary of giving him an extension, but they probably would if he managed that.

And postseason production would play a big role as well. If he suddenly turned it on then, he would be back, no question.

Yeah I'll change my mind on him if he holds up to his reputation as a guy that steps up in the playoffs. We can live with his inconsistent play throughout the season.

Your overall point is why I can't get on the positive side of this though. I'm just really afraid of extending him. That and I want a legit player to stick in the top six so Bura and Don just continually fight for the #6 complementary spot.

Nuke to the rescue hopefully.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You are ****in weird sometimes lol. I'm fine with him killing offense and looking cute when hes on lower lines, but when hes dancing around and coughing it up while playing on the top two lines its infuriating.

You kind of just want your bottom six to produce here and there, but at least drive play the right direction.

When the dude is cold, not shooting, and can't get his passes through he sucks the life out of whatever line hes on. Don't really care how good at zone entries he is at that point.

He definitely does not bother me as much as Kerfoot, but Bednar needs to move him down the lineup in these instances, but also find a way to do that so hes still a positive force, but without crushing his confidence. That is a tall task. Hes done a good enough job with Z, but it is going to be a constant battle with some polarizing decisions at times. Z really is more about effort and focus than confidence though.

Yeah I'll change my mind on him if he holds up to his reputation as a guy that steps up in the playoffs. We can live with his inconsistent play throughout the season.

Your overall point is why I can't get on the positive side of this though. I'm just really afraid of extending him. That and I want a legit player to stick in the top six so Bura and Don just continually fight for the #6 complementary spot.

Nuke to the rescue hopefully.
Killing offense? What do you mean not shooting and not providing offense? It’s been proven on here that he’s shooting the puck and generating scoring chances during this slump at a similar rate (actually slightly higher during the slump) as he was prior. He’s just having some rough luck (while earlier in the year he was having too much luck).

The results should eventually lie somewhere in the middle but he’s been playing the game the same way all season.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't have a problem with the way Bura is playing right now. IMO he is just trying to pick the corners too much. and missing wide a lot. Keep it simple...hit the net and good things will happen with that shot.

Reactions: AvsGuy

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Killing offense? What do you mean not shooting and not providing offense? It’s been proven on here that he’s shooting the puck and generating scoring chances during this slump at a similar rate (actually slightly higher during the slump) as he was prior. He’s just having some rough luck (while earlier in the year he was having too much luck).

The results should eventually lie somewhere in the middle but he’s been playing the game the same way all season.

Ok come on now, don't even take me down that stat rabbit hole. I and others here actually watch these games. The dude has been doing his best Johnny Mitchell impression killing offense on his line.

I said it over and over lately that hes had the puck too much, and wasn't at the end of plays pulling the trigger, and wasn't getting his passes through after drawing guys to him.

Because the dude flips the puck on net and ends the play does not mean hes playing the way he should or can. Again it's fine for your third and fourth line to have the goal of just simply driving play the right direction so your top guys get offensive zone draws or change lines while going the other direction, but not your bottom six.

I know you are not blind, and could see the times MacK is putting up 8 shots, but not scoring during certain times. The shots were not dangerous I don't care how close or where he was. If there is no screen, the puck wasn't going east/west prior, and the whole thing is telegraphed the goalie shuts it down every time.

It's the details and the process. Shit those stats can't always identify. I love that you take a different stance at times, and try to have a broad perspective. This just isn't one of those times where group think is failing us, as it often does.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Ok come on now, don't even take me down that stat rabbit hole. I and others here actually watch these games. The dude has been doing his best Johnny Mitchell impression killing offense on his line.

I said it over and over lately that hes had the puck too much, and wasn't at the end of plays pulling the trigger, and wasn't getting his passes through after drawing guys to him.

Because the dude flips the puck on net and ends the play does not mean hes playing the way he should or can. Again it's fine for your third and fourth line to have the goal of just simply driving play the right direction so your top guys get offensive zone draws or change lines while going the other direction, but not your bottom six.

I know you are not blind, and could see the times MacK is putting up 8 shots, but not scoring during certain times. The shots were not dangerous I don't care how close or where he was. If there is no screen, the puck wasn't going east/west prior, and the whole thing is telegraphed the goalie shuts it down every time.

It's the details and the process. **** those stats can't always identify. I love that you take a different stance at times, and try to have a broad perspective. This just isn't one of those times where group think is failing us, as it often does.
I resorted to stats after explaining for weeks that I though Burakovsky still looked like himself. I’m not basing it just on stats. It’s what I’m watching too.

I think he’s a really good hockey player plain and simple. I think he needs to be used strategically. Especially because of his poor defensive ability. But I think he’s damn good and I think he has been all year.

Reactions: 95snipes

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I resorted to stats after explaining for weeks that I though Burakovsky still looked like himself. I’m not basing it just on stats. It’s what I’m watching too.

I think he’s a really good hockey player plain and simple. I think he needs to be used strategically. Especially because of his poor defensive ability. But I think he’s damn good and I think he has been all year.

I agree, but the guy just isn't the play maker he thinks he is. He does not have the ability to draw guys to him and thread passes the way Mikko does.

His shots are coming as a result of his options closing off instead of pulling the trigger at the end of plays. Kadri can be blamed for this as well. The dude just wasn't creating anything either.

I think Bura and Kadri can absolutely kill each other at times offensively.

IMO you are focusing on Bura still carrying the puck in, and shooting. I'm focused on Bura holding onto it too long and running out of options then shooting. Before hed take it in, dish it off quickly and then look for soft spots in coverage while Don and Kadri cycled the puck. Like I said, hes gotten too cute with the puck. Simple as that. Its pretty much the exact same thing Mitchell did when his head got too big.

The stats loved that mofo too at times. I personally have a pet peeve for players not playing within their limits and driving their line into the abyss. Especially in the top six.

Bednar needs to yank that chain a little faster next time, and get him to simplify his game. I don't envy the position Bednar is in with Bura either. He has to find a balance of letting him play through at times, and resetting him without f***ing his confidence.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

The past 4-5 games I think he's actually stepped up defensively. He's had a really active stick on the backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad