Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree, but the guy just isn't the play maker he thinks he is. He does not have the ability to draw guys to him and thread passes the way Mikko does.

His shots are coming as a result of his options closing off instead of pulling the trigger at the end of plays. Kadri can be blamed for this as well. The dude just wasn't creating anything either.

I think Bura and Kadri can absolutely kill each other at times offensively.

IMO you are focusing on Bura still carrying the puck in, and shooting. I'm focused on Bura holding onto it too long and running out of options then shooting. Before hed take it in, dish it off quickly and then look for soft spots in coverage while Don and Kadri cycled the puck. Like I said, hes gotten too cute with the puck. Simple as that. Its pretty much the exact same thing Mitchell did when his head got too big.

The stats loved that mofo too at times. I personally have a pet peeve for players not playing within their limits and driving their line into the abyss. Especially in the top six.

Bednar needs to yank that chain a little faster next time, and get him to simplify his game. I don't envy the position Bednar is in with Bura either. He has to find a balance of letting him play through at times, and resetting him without ****ing his confidence.
I agree and constantly say I just wish Burakovsky would shoot more. Back to stats, one trend I’ve noticed is that his scoring chances to high danger shot attempts ratio is low. He seems to be getting to the area of the ice that are dangerous but is not shooting the puck. This matches the eye test for me. Often over passing or over handling the puck. If Burakovsky started ripping the puck in these areas a little more often and a little more quickly I think we’d be looking at a few more goals so far.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The past 4-5 games I think he's actually stepped up defensively. He's had a really active stick on the backcheck.
Yeah I’ve noticed this too. He still sucks defensively but has made a few nice defensive plays lately. One in particular was a deep back check that lead to a strip, skated the puck out, entered the offensive zone which generated a 30-40 second stint in the O zone.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I resorted to stats after explaining for weeks that I though Burakovsky still looked like himself. I’m not basing it just on stats. It’s what I’m watching too.

I think he’s a really good hockey player plain and simple. I think he needs to be used strategically. Especially because of his poor defensive ability. But I think he’s damn good and I think he has been all year.
He is really good at carrying the puck through the neutral zone, and gaining the offensive zone. He should be the puck carrier on PP2 if he isn’t on the 1st unit.

There is a lot to like about his game, and he is definitely one of the most skilled forwards the Avs have had in recent years, outside of the lottery pick forwards.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree and constantly say I just wish Burakovsky would shoot more. Back to stats, one trend I’ve noticed is that his scoring chances to high danger shot attempts ratio is low. He seems to be getting to the area of the ice that are dangerous but is not shooting the puck. This matches the eye test for me. Often over passing or over handling the puck. If Burakovsky started ripping the puck in these areas a little more often and a little more quickly I think we’d be looking at a few more goals so far.

Yeah, I mean it's a little too simplistic to just say shoot more. That is also a big difference between him and Kerfoot. When Kerfy was off he literally couldn't get to those areas and be effective. Bura has the size and speed to still get there even when hes holding the puck too long.

Remember I was hard aF on MacK too for getting tunnel vision. Does not mean I just straight up don't see the skill or value the player.

Like you I don't even really have that much of a problem with his defense. It's just not his role, and like Mikko hes more valuable leaning that way, and even cheating at times. At least now we have the guys to offset that the way Landy does on more than one line.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The thing I've noticed is that unlike Yakupov, he seems to understand what defense IS. He gets the general concept, but his defensive stick work and ability to win one-on-one battles is awful. It was nice to see him put some more effort in on the back check last night, but I think he just lacks the basic fundamentals of that aspect of the game.

As I said in the other thread, I like that he got a lot of shots away against the Blues. He may have missed most of them trying to pick a corner, but that mentality of ripping wristers when he gets the chance is going to be what breaks him out of this scoring slump. Eventually those are going to start to go in.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t think he lacks IQ in the way it has been portrayed either. I think he has brain farts. Moments where you question how he plays hockey for a living. But from what I’ve seen they’re isolated. He makes a lot of decisions and plays with the puck that low IQ players simply don’t have the mental capacity to make.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don’t think he lacks IQ in the way it has been portrayed either. I think he has brain farts. Moments where you question how he plays hockey for a living. But from what I’ve seen they’re isolated. He makes a lot of decisions and plays with the puck that low IQ players simply don’t have the mental capacity to make.

It really is confidence. All of his problems stem from hesitation at different times.

The shitty part is even if he has a 25/25 season. It's too much of a risk to show him confidence with a contract until he does it again. It is not going to help.

Although if he pops off in the playoffs. I say pay the dude, as long as its reasonable.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

JB's line combinations have been effective with Burakovsky. It points out his versatility playing up or down which is especially valuable with our personnel in terms of creating different line match ups. My sense is that Burakovsky will increasingly look to shoot first upon entering the zone and crossing the high danger areas that CobrAcesS and you were discussing. Give it a little more time. However, you have to love a player that can carry the puck into the O zone, Sakic is getting value for the assets that he paid to acquire Burakovsky.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It really is confidence. All of his problems stem from hesitation at different times.

The ****ty part is even if he has a 25/25 season. It's too much of a risk to show him confidence with a contract until he does it again. It is not going to help.

Although if he pops off in the playoffs. I say pay the dude, as long as its reasonable.
Agreed, the playoffs are going to be the determining factor in how I view the acquisition by Sakic. If he disappears in the tight-checking, whistle-swallowing April/May games I think you have to view it as a disappointment even if he ends up posting 25/25 in the regular season. That's the hockey that really matters for a team like this, and if he doesn't produce there you give him a one year extension at most. If he shows that he can deliver in those games, I think it's fair to give him 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit and take the good with the bad.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bura reminds me of Dutchy. Not in their skillsets or games, but in the way their mental state has prevented them from reliably utilizing their skillsets optimally. Now Matt's gotten better about not killing himself for failing to be superman...no longer having to carry the weight of playing for his childhood team has really helped his self-flagellating impulses...but it's still something that he has to be diligent about working on; improving both his tools for pulling out of a spiral or preventing himself from spiralling, and in recognizing that within himself when it starts.

Throw in that Bura can't "get himself going" by focusing on hitting guys on the forecheck & winning puck battles, with those type of self-doubt issues and I can see why his self-doubt has had a tendency to spiral as badly as it has. None of us other than his shrink can really know if that's at all accurate, or how much more work he needs to do before we can be confident in him having the tools to stop himself from spiralling the next time, but that's how I read Bura.

...though that may very well just be me projecting things I've struggled with in the past :laugh:

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

A lot of it is confidence. But the hesitancy is also uncertainty. For example, in terms of having a sense of who's going to be at home when you're driving through the O-zone and about to pass off. Give it time.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A lot of it is confidence. But the hesitancy is also uncertainty. For example, in terms of having a sense of who's going to be at home when you're driving through the O-zone and about to pass off. Give it time.

I'd give that credence earlier in the season not now. I'll admit though, that him and Kadri were both working against each other for sure. Both were over handling the puck and killing the play trying to be slick play makers.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'd give that credence earlier in the season not now. I'll admit though, that him and Kadri were both working against each other for sure. Both were over handling the puck and killing the play trying to be slick play makers.

So stick him on the fourth line. Problem solved.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There is a "hockey sense" issue at work, there are times it really doesn't look like his brain is working as fast as his skates and hands are. He doesn't necessarily have the vision of an elite player even though undoubtedly has the talent of one. When you see elite vision matched with elite talent, you have Cale Makar.

It's fine, I really did like his game last night, it might help that he was paired with two defensively responsible forwards so he was allowed some more leeway.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed, the playoffs are going to be the determining factor in how I view the acquisition by Sakic. If he disappears in the tight-checking, whistle-swallowing April/May games I think you have to view it as a disappointment even if he ends up posting 25/25 in the regular season. That's the hockey that really matters for a team like this, and if he doesn't produce there you give him a one year extension at most. If he shows that he can deliver in those games, I think it's fair to give him 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit and take the good with the bad.

Yeah it's a reason I have more faith in Bednar and Groob now. Those two can and have taken it to a new level in the playoffs.

Actually this team seems to be taking that on as an identity a bit. They thrive in games like last night, and let off the gas if there isn't as much pressure.

Every time I think they are going to get their teeth kicked in they curb stomp their opponent. Every time I think they should walk a team they barely win, or get stomped themselves.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Players who hate backchecking and hate physical play usually don't fare well in the playoffs. We'll see.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And I agree that he and Kadri are an absolutely horrible match. Never put those two on the same line ever again.

I was kind of hoping confidence would translate to better and faster decisions when Bura needed to lean pass at times when the goals dried up. He just does that extra stick handle, or waits that extra second until hes getting mugged or the passing lane disappears.

He does not need to think as fast against lesser competition, but when on higher lines he has one recipe for success IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As for Bura and the playoffs. I seem to remember Washington fans saying he plays his best hockey in the playoffs, and was very important to their run.

I don't remember the exact details, its been a while. So there is some presidence I think.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wish there was nothing to it cause I had a lot of fun during their runs; which got a lot of my friends here in chicago into hockey; and spent a few years (that I really enjoyed) in Buffalo. So I wish he was someone that I could cheer for, but scum is scum.

Anyways...here's to hoping that between Bura, Jimmothy, Cole, and the rest of our "playoff performers", we perform well in the playoffs...

Yeah I liked the way Chicago played the game as well. They helped push the NHL into a better style with their success. Not that I hate the tactical heavy nature of teams like BOS, LA, and now STL.

Just more fun, and the reason I loved Pit back when they had Mario and Jagr. I had no reason to like them except that team just played the game with so much skill, creativity and beautiful passing.

The way the Avs were built made it really easy to latch onto hockey getting into it as a teen as well.

He was also one of those smaller skilled players, and his success helped open doors for other players.

Really unfortunate

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If he stays on the 4th line we are not re-signing him this summer are we?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I don't understand why there is this constant debate about him.

He is producing at a top 6 rate, succeded past performances and living up to our hopes.

He has flaws in his game just like everyone. I guess he is just the new Kerfoot on here?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Burakovsky - Compher - Donskoi line was consistently dangerous last night, much more so than when Kadri has in the middle lately.

It's ironic because 95 & 72 were brought in to be the elusive second line wingers Colorado has been missing the last 2-3 seasons. And while they've produced like 2W's (for the most part), Kadri is quickly becoming the new Soderberg now that he's being flanked by Nieto and Calvert.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad