Proposal: Buffalo- Tampa

Clock

May 13, 2006
Do not want. You're on a two-way contract, kid. Man up and honor it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'll bet he blinks in a week or two, returns to his team, and a deal gets done at a very slight discount over the offseason, after he's rehabilitated his value a bit.

At least that would be the minimal drama version of events.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I sorta feel for him. It looks like they're jerking him around just shy of the point where this year counts for his FA status.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If you can get him at a discount you take him. I realize that its different situations but Tyler Seguin was a guy with "attitude problems".
His contract isn't big so if he is a bust its not a huge loss given his value has gone down and he doesn't cost a ton in a trade.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Drouin needs to get a better agent.

It may not seem like it now, by Drouin and his agent's actions will affect him when he's looking for a better contract once he becomes a UFA.

GMs talk. If there's a battle of agent vs GM, and it comes down to taking sides and sending messages, the GMs will side with the GM.

It's a different story if Drouin actually did anything in the league. Right now, all Drouin and his agent are going off is potential and draft status.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If you can get him at a discount you take him. I realize that its different situations but Tyler Seguin was a guy with "attitude problems".
His contract isn't big so if he is a bust its not a huge loss given his value has gone down and he doesn't cost a ton in a trade.

Seguin didn't publicly try to force the Bruins' hand and then take his puck and go home like some spoiled child.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
They talked about this on hockey central today. I generally think Doug Maclean is a blundering idiot but he made a good point. If the kid had a backbone he'd go down to Syracuse, light the joint up for a week and force Stevie Y/Cooper to put him in the top 6 in Tampa or give some other team incentive to pay Stevie Y's asking price. What happens when the kid faces adversity in the NHL? If he goes on a scoring slump is he just going to pack it in? What if his team is in a 3-0 hole in the playoffs? Time to start practicing that short game? No thanks.

If I were the GM of the Sabres I wouldn't pay more than a second round pick right now. With what he's shown so far he's nothing more than a lottery ticket to me at this point and even if he does hit I don't want that piss poor attitude in a room with a bunch of other impressionable kids.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Would Yzerman take Girgensons straight up for Drouin? Would anyone make that swap? I think I would in a heartbeat, so maybe that answers my question and Stevie Y would want more haha.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Seguin didn't publicly try to force the Bruins' hand and then take his puck and go home like some spoiled child.

Eh, I'm willing to give Drouin the benefit of the doubt there. I suspect these decisions are coming from his agent, who is handling this like garbage.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Would Yzerman take Girgensons straight up for Drouin? Would anyone make that swap? I think I would in a heartbeat, so maybe that answers my question and Stevie Y would want more haha.

I love Zemgus. But for a talent like Drouin (who I'd imagine would be ungodly motivated by getting dealt in the division), I'd pack his bags and drive him to the airport.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think they're pissed he's played almost a year and not gotten much closer to FA. Had Tampa dressed him twice more, I wonder if he'd have been more willing to go along with reassignment.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I think they're pissed he's played almost a year and not gotten much closer to FA. Had Tampa dressed him twice more, I wonder if he'd have been more willing to go along with reassignment.

I'm thinking the same. It still just seems like Drouin has an attitude against Tampa, almost a vendetta. Somehow, something or someone pushed hard enough that he went public with his discontent. Tolling that ELC contract certainly would have his agent empathizing with the client. Not concerned at all about his attitude.

The potential cost of a trade keeps me from being interested in acquiring Drouin. If there was a bargain to be had by taking cap dump Carle, maybe, again really depends on the cost.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Wouldn't do Girgensons for drouin. Drouin may be a top line winger, but Girgensons may be that plus a shutdown center when called upon.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
Last week i would have helped Girgs pack in an exchange for JD - But after seeing some interesting chemistry with Eichel i might hold off on that deal, at least for now.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A first line winger is a hell of a lot more difficult to come by then a shut down player.

Your statement is too generic to really hold much weight.

Girgs has the potential to be a scoring line power forward who can cover the defensive issues of his linemates while contributing offense. He can be a glue guy in the top 6 and has already shown the capability to be a shutdown center. Drouin has the potential to be a scoring line winger with defensive issues. Unless Drouin's offense is almost Pat Kane level, I don't see how he is of more value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad