Proposal: Buffalo- Tampa

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't think Walsh and Drouin are losing anything. Drouin doesn't care if he goes for future considerations, and Walsh only looks better if he gets his client moved.

Yzerman doesn't have to move the kid. They got to the SCF without much help from Drouin at all....and if Drouin isnt playing, then he's certainly not helping his trade value.

No, Drouin doesn't have to care about the return --- but he should care that Stevie Y isn't going to move him for peanuts. It's in his best interests to play and play well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's a different situation, sure, but not really any more or less worrisome.

We can agree to disagree. One guy showed up every night and played for his teammates; the other made a public trade demand and has literally quit on his organization.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
We can agree to disagree. One guy showed up every night and played for his teammates; the other made a public trade demand and has literally quit on his organization.

Kane also turned his locker room on him, while no one talks about that with Drouin. One had a spat with his teammates, the other had a spat with management. Change the teammates/management, might not be a concern going forward.

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
It seems like he has major character issues and brings a lot of headaches. I wouldn't want that in the locker room or on the team.

Could this be considered similar to the Radulov situation? He's basically quitting mid contract which suspends the contract. If he isn't traded he could remain frozen out of the league for years unless he fulfils his obligations to Tampa.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Kane also turned his locker room on him, while no one talks about that with Drouin. One had a spat with his teammates, the other had a spat with management. Change the teammates/management, might not be a concern going forward.

You think Drouin is popular with his teammates (in either city) right now? You think guys who've ridden buses around the AHL like the stunt this entitled **** is pulling right now?

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Guys like him are what Edmonton built around prior to Chiarelli being hired and McDavid being drafted.

Personally, I would rather continue to build our team and more guys who fit our style than go after and use important assets for a one-way player. I personally don't care about the character issues as I think those issues really don't affect his on-ice play. His lack of defensive awareness and play away from the puck are what I don't want right now.

This isn't to say I wouldn't want him on my team, just saying right now isn't the best time to go after him.

Drouin makes me want to yawn so hard.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You think Drouin is popular with his teammates (in either city) right now?

I think his teammates are probably ignoring it. They probably think he's making a dumb move, but I don't see any reason to think they'd ostracize him if he was recalled tomorrow. All accounts are he had good relationships there.

Hey, I'm not saying it's no risk, but if you can get that kind of talent for lesser pieces, it's a risk worth taking.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I thought your point was about how he would be perceived by teammates. This distinction seems like it would be more about a management perspective. Teammates likely wouldn't differentiate.

:laugh: yeah sure. Drouin has all the same accomplishments and solid character traits that ROR had when he was a hold out. "Teammates likely wouldn't differentiate." Nonsense...where do you get this crap from?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
:laugh: yeah sure. Drouin has all the same accomplishments and solid character traits that ROR had when he was a hold out. "Teammates likely wouldn't differentiate." Nonsense...where do you get this crap from?

The combination of previously held opinions that linger...

"Oreilly is the most overrated player in the league, Ennis is better/more valuable"

+

"Drouin is better than Mackinnon and Seth Jones

=

The currently nonsensical correlation of ROR/Drouin

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Stevie Y should let him sit for a while for pulling this. No need to trade him right away. We don't have the pieces to make a deal work but I'll be interested to see what ends up happening.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I thought your point was about how he would be perceived by teammates. This distinction seems like it would be more about a management perspective. Teammates likely wouldn't differentiate.

I'm more inclined to believe that ROR's situation would be better understood by his peers. He wasn't publicly demanding trades or trying to force himself out of an organization having accomplished next to nothing as an NHL player. ROR and the Avs had a good-faith contract dispute and ROR exercised his collectively-bargained rights. I think most players recognize that the parties had to settle their business, and they did (with a little nudge from Calgary). And, by most accounts, ROR always wanted to be an Av, provided that he was fairly compensated and had the contract security that he was seeking. Drouin is now engaged in what is effectively a midseason holdout. I find this to be significantly different than the Kane and ROR situations.

In sum, I have no problem with players exercising their collectively-bargained rights to pursue their options in restricted free agency, even if that results in the player missing games. Nor do I have a problem with players privately requesting trades and showing up every night and working hard for their teammates and organizations. I think most players understand that's part of the business. I do have some problem with a player who has yet to accomplish much of anything in the NHL quitting on his organization in the middle of the season because of some perceived mistreatment. More importantly, I think most NHL players have a problem with that, too.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't want to any part of this kid whatsoever.

If it's just based on him requesting a trade that's likely a mistake if a reasonable one. People probably said the same thing about Kyle Turris and that turned out great for the Senators. That said I wouldn't be willing to pay what I imagine Yzerman is asking because he's not what the team needs to be spending a hefty price on.

Edit: Though after reading that letter it's hard to want anything to do with him. Pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Why to much risk with this kid. I wouldn't trade anything to valuable for him. I don't think any teams will. He'll stay in Tampa unless they sell low on him but don't see that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad