Buffalo Sabres GM Candidates ?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Have thought about this for awhile. A little off the reservation but think it would be interesting.

Theo Epstein as the president of Sports team operations or some such title. He would sit between the gms of the Bills and Sabres and the Pegulas. His job function would be primarily comcerned with long term sustainability and brand development i.e. winning consistently and managing organizational assets. The gms would be held accountable for wins and losses, player acquistions and trades, but none could be made without Theo’s approval. This way Beane and Bobblehead would be forced to put a winning product on the ice field without concern for organization building. Coaches coach.

Theo is a really smart guy, very analytical and cold be looking for the next challenge. He broke the curse of the Bambino and brought the Cubs their first title since 1908. It would give the Pegulas an analytical buffer between them and on ice field decisons.

If Bobblehead wanted to trade ROR he would have had to justify not in terms of franchise building but in competitive advantage now. “You want to trade him Jason? Fine but not for that return. It doesn’t help us now. Find a better offer. The bonus? Don’t worry I’ll lay it out for Terry that we will pay it to get a better return now.

GMs still run scouting and drafting and player acquisition but they would be forced into justifying their actions with regard to winning now.

There may be others but I think Epstein would appeal to the new wave thinking of PSE.

In bed sick and rambling.

Reactions: Goathead

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Botts will probably stick around but Pegula is hard to predict.

Any GM needs to shake this team and add talent. I'd seriously considering trading Reinhart to blow up Eichel's world. Team is just too soft. But I wouldn't do it for sake of any deal. We need to jolt core of young guys, maybe Risto trade does it. Something has to give.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I still think anyone praying Botts gets fired shouldn't get their hopes up, Housley going is much more realistic.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Botts will probably stick around but Pegula is hard to predict.

Any GM needs to shake this team and add talent. I'd seriously considering trading Reinhart to blow up Eichel's world. Team is just too soft. But I wouldn't do it for sake of any deal. We need to jolt core of young guys, maybe Risto trade does it. Something has to give.
Yeah, I totally want a GM who has shown he is completely abysmal and incompetent at making trades to trade Reinhart. Which team's 3 worst players do you think we'd end up with?

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
It’s hard to get past ROR but most of his other trades have been ok-good. Skinner and Housley decisions will put me in the “fire him” category or not.

On a side note... Even cheapo wack job Melnyk is willing to invest in a president of hockey ops. Your telling me Kim is the best person for the job? Come on now Pegulas if your not gonna take this team seriously just sell it and be gone with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smile Ivan

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I’d rather not change GMs yet again, every time you change GMs it’s another full evaluation year.
I'd can Botterill if his "plan" included punting yet another season, but any replacement candidate who wasn't interested in putting in a good faith effort to ice a competitive team right away would be immediately disqualified.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, I totally want a GM who has shown he is completely abysmal and incompetent at making trades to trade Reinhart. Which team's 3 worst players do you think we'd end up with?

Yes, trading Poo for a high end top line goal scorer and acquiring our 4th leading scoring forward for a fourth round pick , or a late 1st and a slightly above average prospect for a legit top 4 RHD and getting a 1st back for a player who was not going to re-sign here considering how poorly the team treated him his tenure here...all those trades sure were abysmal. And do not rebut with the Toronto late round draft pick trade which means absolutely nothing.

The RoR trade is over..and did you know that trades are judged longer then 1 season? People are still crying over RoR and we haven't even gotten the main asset in Buffalo yet. At least wait until after the draft and see what prospect we get or player we trade the pick for before non stop bashing.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Have thought about this for awhile. A little off the reservation but think it would be interesting.

Theo Epstein as the president of Sports team operations or some such title. He would sit between the gms of the Bills and Sabres and the Pegulas. His job function would be primarily comcerned with long term sustainability and brand development i.e. winning consistently and managing organizational assets. The gms would be held accountable for wins and losses, player acquistions and trades, but none could be made without Theo’s approval. This way Beane and Bobblehead would be forced to put a winning product on the ice field without concern for organization building. Coaches coach.

Theo is a really smart guy, very analytical and cold be looking for the next challenge. He broke the curse of the Bambino and brought the Cubs their first title since 1908. It would give the Pegulas an analytical buffer between them and on ice field decisons.

If Bobblehead wanted to trade ROR he would have had to justify not in terms of franchise building but in competitive advantage now. “You want to trade him Jason? Fine but not for that return. It doesn’t help us now. Find a better offer. The bonus? Don’t worry I’ll lay it out for Terry that we will pay it to get a better return now.

GMs still run scouting and drafting and player acquisition but they would be forced into justifying their actions with regard to winning now.

There may be others but I think Epstein would appeal to the new wave thinking of PSE.

In bed sick and rambling.

Would not require all trades to have approval by the president. No reason to have a GM then.

However, the president should can the GM if he is making bad trades

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Yes, trading Poo for a high end top line goal scorer and acquiring our 4th leading scoring forward for a fourth round pick , or a late 1st and a slightly above average prospect for a legit top 4 RHD and getting a 1st back for a player who was not going to re-sign here considering how poorly the team treated him his tenure here...all those trades sure were abysmal. And do not rebut with the Toronto late round draft pick trade which means absolutely nothing.

The RoR trade is over..and did you know that trades are judged longer then 1 season? People are still crying over RoR and we haven't even gotten the main asset in Buffalo yet. At least wait until after the draft and see what prospect we get or player we trade the pick for before non stop bashing.
I thought Thompson was the main asset but you can hardly call him that nowadays can you

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The fact that Sheary (who has pretty much been trash) is our 4th leading scoring forward says more about the job Botts has done in assembling a roster than anything. And Skinner basically forced his way here, and since you want to play the "We don't know what that pick we got back will be" game we gave up what will be a very high 2nd round pick so maybe they end up with the next Kucherov.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This man has done it all. He's played, coached and been a broadcaster at the highest levels. Hockey runs through the veins of this cousin of Wendel Clark and Joey Kocur. Our next GM, Barry Melrose.
The Crotchbite suck!!!! Hockey Falls in Glenns Falls!!!!!! Let's Go Trashers!!!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Trading away assets for top end scorer - if he re-signs here, great trade, but if he doesn’t it’s a waste of a move and assets in a year you were not actively competitive. I liked the trade at the time.

Traded away a bit of toughness and a secondary scorer for a defenseman that fell off a cliff his second year here, and a guy that is probably going to retire at the end of the year (remember did you know trades are judged longer than 1 season)

Traded away a young asset, and ONLY received a 1st because he re-signed with said team he was traded to. It was a conditional 1st/2nd not a straight up 1st, so him getting a 1st relied upon another team’s decision.

Trading ROR has to be one of the most short sighted moves in Sabres history. It wasn’t and isn’t just about the pieces coming back but it sure sucks to see the package coming back. People would be pissed if Skinner doesn’t sign here because he’s a good offensive player and top 6 talent, ROR was a flexible top 6 player that could’ve been a 1st line player with Eichel or a 2nd line center, that is a much better player than Skinner. Not to mention he could’ve been used to allow Mittelstadt and other center prospects to develop. And we traded him for “a chance to see what’s in the box”, a prospect we hope can play in the NHL that we are already mishandling and two bodies.

I love the Montour trade, but I will not be shocked if he falls back a few levels and by this time next year we start to not like him because of his ill-times pinches and poor defensive reads.

Reactions: sabremike

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Start packing for Seattle with Pierre McGuire in tow, if you're talking worst case

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I’d rather not change GMs yet again, every time you change GMs it’s another full evaluation year.

i'm starting to change my opinion on this.

the roster has some very obvious bright spots surrounded by absolute trash. you don't need a full season to separate the wheat from the chaff here. watch a couple game tapes from the last month and start making f***ing phone calls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad