Post-Game Talk: Buffalo Sabres at New York Rangers 10/31/13

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Yeah I heard that Miller played like jesus christ last night, another goalie who does that :shakehead 3rd time in a row.

NHL has Zucc as 1st star though?

Wouldn't say its undeserved. That being said, throwing stars to goalies every time few goals are scored, and whoever scores the game winning goal gets a little predictable so that might have something to do with it.

1st star went to one of the players who definitely set the tone for the game, I have no problems with that. Its nice to see that playmaking contributions are appreciated by the press

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Even when we don't score, we move the puck lightning quick and look so much better on the PP it's insane. I mean I'm sure going up against Buffalo had something to do with it but it was nice to see us control the puck and make plays on the PP as opposed to gaining the neutral zone dumping the puck in and then immediately losing possession and having the puck fired back into our own zone.

BUF has the 12th ranked PK in the league, it was top 10 a week ago. They're horrible but their PK is quite good.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
BUF has the 12th ranked PK in the league, it was top 10 a week ago. They're horrible but their PK is quite good.

That's what I get for listening to Sam and Joe, they were talking about how Buf has one of the more tentative PK's in the league, basically making it sound like they just stood back and let guys do whatever they wanted.

Makes the rangers' PP even more impressive.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
That's what I get for listening to Sam and Joe, they were talking about how Buf has one of the more tentative PK's in the league, basically making it sound like they just stood back and let guys do whatever they wanted.

Yep :laugh:.

Steve Ott and Christian Ehrhoff make that unit. They're two of the best PK'ers in the league, in my opinion. Having a focused Miller doesn't hurt either. But they are a good PK team.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Sam and Joe were talking about the style of their PK which IS passive. Especially contrasted with Montreal's aggressive PK.

The Montreal PK gave the Rangers fits because their PP (especially the pointmen) had difficulty making decisions under pressure. When the decision was ok the increased pressure often caused their passes to be off. When Buffalo allowed them time and space they were able to pick it apart decently well.

What Sam and Joe said was spot in. Doesn't mean Buffalo's style hasn't worked against other teams. The Rangers happen to struggle with quick decisions and limited space.

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Kreider--Stepan--Zuccarello
Richards--Brassard--Nash
Hagelin--Miller--Callahan
Pouliot--Boyle--Dorsett

Replace Richards with a good young left-winger, then bring someone from Hartford to play for Pouliot. Now that's a team that can grow together and one that I can get behind.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sam and Joe were talking about the style of their PK which IS passive. Especially contrasted with Montreal's aggressive PK.

The Montreal PK gave the Rangers fits because their PP (especially the pointmen) had difficulty making decisions under pressure. When the decision was ok the increased pressure often caused their passes to be off. When Buffalo allowed them time and space they were able to pick it apart decently well.

What Sam and Joe said was spot in. Doesn't mean Buffalo's style hasn't worked against other teams. The Rangers happen to struggle with quick decisions and limited space.

Correct. At least for the start of the game. That first PP where Brassard scored, you could see the Rangers just dancing around the entire Buffalo unit. After that goal was scored they did seem to become a bit more aggressive.

Replace Richards with a good young left-winger, then bring someone from Hartford to play for Pouliot. Now that's a team that can grow together and one that I can get behind.

Or why not keep him as he is for this season (you know as a LW/C) since without him we would probably only have 1 win. They are growing together as it is. This isn't NHL 14. You can't have an entire team of sub 25 year olds and win 6 cups in a row. You need veteran leadership. Richards will provide that this season. He has been our best player this entire season BAR NONE and I would like to see some one argue why he hasn't been.

Vickers8

Pat Leonard‏@PLeonardNYDN5m
Callahan wearing a contact jersey today in Greenburgh

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Pat Leonard‏@PLeonardNYDN5m
Callahan wearing a contact jersey today in Greenburgh

He's practicing as a defenseman though. AV did that with Hagelin too. Cally probably isn't ready to return yet

NHRangerfan

A few thoughts

As others have mentioned the only negative was the Rangers letting up a bit in the 3rd.

Those complaining about scoring, Miller is a world class goalie he did everything to keep his team close, which is all you could ask for...2 seasons ago on the Rangers opening road trip they beat Vancouver 2-1??? a game they really didn't deserve to win but Hank stole along with a couple of very good bounces...we Ranger fans gave Hank all teh credit for that win, can't we recognize Miller played a fantastice game last night?

The PP is 13th in the league, how many times during the Torts era did we say if this team could even get close to the top half in PP% how much better they would be.

That is all

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
A few thoughts

As others have mentioned the only negative was the Rangers letting up a bit in the 3rd.

Those complaining about scoring, Miller is a world class goalie he did everything to keep his team close, which is all you could ask for...2 seasons ago on the Rangers opening road trip they beat Vancouver 2-1??? a game they really didn't deserve to win but Hank stole along with a couple of very good bounces...we Ranger fans gave Hank all teh credit for that win, can't we recognize Miller played a fantastice game last night?

The PP is 13th in the league, how many times during the Torts era did we say if this team could even get close to the top half in PP% how much better they would be.

That is all

The Rangers won that game against VAN 4-0 :laugh:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
A few thoughts

That is all

4-0 in VAN. Our 3rd and 4th line need to chip in by going to the tough places where 3rd and 4th line guys score goals and I'm not seeing enough of that.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
i would say we have had an acceptable start to the season. we are not out of anything yet, 1 point behind the 2nd and 3rd metro spots 8 points out of first in the division. 5-7 isnt a great record but considering the tough schedule, hank nash hagelin and callahan being injured, a new coach and a tough transition for the defense i think we have been fine. PP has been good. i honestly believe a top 15 PP and a top 15 offense would do wonders for this team. while the goal scoring hasnt been there, we are looking like a better team. comparing the buffalo game to the typical 2-0 game under torts, we would grind and be lucky to score a goal and cling to it for dear life, but in this game we kept offensive pressure on throughout the whole game. its really a pleasure to see.

NHRangerfan

The Rangers won that game against VAN 4-0 :laugh:

Age is a terrible thing not remembring exact details of a game played more than 2 years ago but I remember them being severly outplayed, but go ahead hang your hat on the score but if you think the score reflected the territorial tilt of the game, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

The Rangers spent the majority of the game playing in their own end....outshot 40-19, and we were all saying following the game that the score could have been 5-0 Canucks if not for Hank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Buffalo is about as bad as an NHL team can get. When they spin off Moulson and Miller, they'll be even worse, which is pretty scary

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Buffalo is about as bad as an NHL team can get. When they spin off Moulson and Miller, they'll be even worse, which is pretty scary

Yep. If they don't get the #1 overall pick, that is scary for whoever does. They are SOOOOO young. Especially on defense. It's sink or swim time for a lot of their players.

Don't forget that they will most likely move Ott and Stafford as well.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pyatt's ice time is dropping to lowest on the team... Looks like he isnt AV's boy anymore...

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2013-14-postgame/final-rangers-2-sabres-0/

11:00 in change of ice time. The only lower was Mashinter, with less than 5 mins.

This is VERY, VERY good. When Callahan comes back, I think we can be relatively comfortable with the fact that either Mashinter or Pyatt will be the one to go next...

Sadly, this will end up being Mashinter, BUT if this continues, Pyatt is gone once Nash returns

PavelBure9

Jul 31, 2007
Pyatt's ice time is dropping to lowest on the team... Looks like he isnt AV's boy anymore...

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2013-14-postgame/final-rangers-2-sabres-0/

11:00 in change of ice time. The only lower was Mashinter, with less than 5 mins.

This is VERY, VERY good. When Callahan comes back, I think we can be relatively comfortable with the fact that either Mashinter or Pyatt will be the one to go next...

Sadly, this will end up being Mashinter, BUT if this continues, Pyatt is gone once Nash returns

When Moore and Cally return, Pyatt is done.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yep. If they don't get the #1 overall pick, that is scary for whoever does. They are SOOOOO young. Especially on defense. It's sink or swim time for a lot of their players.

Don't forget that they will most likely move Ott and Stafford as well.

Don't understand why they traded for Moulson since it's likely that they'll try and trade him at the deadline too. Could have gotten another prospect instead.

Maybe they'll package him and Miller together.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Don't understand why they traded for Moulson since it's likely that they'll try and trade him at the deadline too. Could have gotten another prospect instead.

Maybe they'll package him and Miller together.

I think it makes a ton of sense. Players' values go up near the trade deadline. It can be kind of hard to move a really high value piece and see that same inflation, though, because only so many teams can afford such a high price on them, so their value doesn't increase as dramatically. Buffalo is essentially buying low and selling high on Moulson.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think it makes a ton of sense. Players' values go up near the trade deadline. It can be kind of hard to move a really high value piece and see that same inflation, though, because only so many teams can afford such a high price on them, so their value doesn't increase as dramatically. Buffalo is essentially buying low and selling high on Moulson.

What if instead they could have gotten Strome or another Islander prospect? They could begin the development the way they want it done sooner.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
What if instead they could have gotten Strome or another Islander prospect? They could begin the development the way they want it done sooner.

If they could have gotten Strome, they probably would have gotten Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad