Post-Game Talk: Buffalo Sabres at New York Rangers 10/31/13

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Girardi is 11 games away from moving into 10th all time for games played by Rangers D(and 21 awy from 9th). I don't know why but i find that really surprising

Yeah, and despite any cap-situation, trade value in terms of real value, and what not, -- that is why it is really hard to trade him/let him walk.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lately we have been able to see lines clicking even when not scoring. It's better and the best thing for me is they are doing fundamental stuff like getting in front and screening.

100% agree.

Look, who doesn't miss a sniper at times? You see those blasts on NHL Tonight and think, hey, wouldn't be bad to have one of those huh? I don't disagree.

But in reality, snipers aren't the ones who scores the mass majority of goals in this leauge. Id be suprised if they scored 10+% of "sniper" plays. Goals are scored by getting pucks to the net and by going there. Just look at the highlights from last night, we have 3-4 plays where we take the puck to the net, and then end up having 3 guys within 6 feets of the goal line just jamming away at it without getting it over the goal line.

Its a helluva lot more important to play well. The SF/SA was just insane for a team with its two best wingers out. Lets be realistic here, we can still be exposed and we are still in danger. We are still in that darn hole. We won't be safe unless we play perfect hockey for two (more?) months. And if we get into trouble again for stints, we will have to fight for sure untill game 82. That is reality. But IMO we are for stints, just for stints, playing the best I've seen this team since probably JJ's magical season. A ranger team that is hanging on to the puck and taking it to the other team, what is this???

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
the krieder/stepan/zucc line had 18 shots in the game lol

If this line can keep it up, what do we do with the lines when Cally and Nash is back lol? They need to pull it off against better teams too, but if they do that I don't want to replace Zucc with Nash/Cally because you change the landscape completely for the other two by doing that. Kreids is playing with two players who's playmaking ability relly is helping him get involved too. I mean, you know, it might seem like he is doing everything right now etc., but he also isn't playing with BR-Nash either, he doesn't face any hickups that he would face if put with those two again.

Id probably go:
Kreids-Step-Zucc
Brad-Brass-Nash
Hags-Moore-Cally
Pyatt/Pouliot-Boyle-Dorsett

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Yeah, and despite any cap-situation, trade value in terms of real value, and what not, -- that is why it is really hard to trade him/let him walk.

Plus you don't lose guys like Girardi without taking a major locker room hit.

Cake or Death

The PP is at 20.5% and 12th in the league. Those numbers are like a foreign language to me.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc was absolutely enormous last night. It's getting a little weird when on a line with Kreider-Stepan-Zucc, Stepan is the one that makes the mistakes.

Should have tried to lift that first wrap-around up into the net.. would have been quite the goal.

Does anyone know why that entire line sat so much the third period ? Just resting them and letting the bottom-6 do the grinding ?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
A win is a win. Team has looked much faster in the last two games and the lines make a ton of sense right now.

Honestly though, I can't imagine the Rangers having an easier win all season than that game. Just no competition from Buffalo at all.

Vickers8

Good- Kreider, Hags speed, Hank, McD, Miller, PP is better, PK is better,
Bad- Delzotto (get off the PP, giveaway machine)

Ryan Miller deserves a better team, what a performance

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Plus you don't lose guys like Girardi without taking a major locker room hit.

Yeah, exactly that was my point. The number of games play in the history book has no meaning in itself, but the fact that he has been here as long as he has in combination with him being a great guy gives us a ton of tremendously positive side effects.

Lock him up long term, would be good if a little north of 5m would be doable, NMC for 2 years and then limited NTC for the final 3-4 years.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah I'm expecting us to score when on PP these days. Last season I was hoping for a shot goal.

Vickers8

The PP is competent now. Honestly is such a huge refreshment

Every team that challenges our point men, our PP sucks, like Montreal, when they sit back more like Isles and sabres we control the zone, plus Kreider screening the goaltender has really worked

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
Yeah, exactly that was my point. The number of games play in the history book has no meaning in itself, but the fact that he has been here as long as he has in combination with him being a great guy gives us a ton of tremendously positive side effects.

Lock him up long term, would be good if a little north of 5m would be doable, NMC for 2 years and then limited NTC for the final 3-4 years.

That'd be a terrible contract...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Every team that challenges our point men, our PP sucks, like Montreal, when they sit back more like Isles and sabres we control the zone, plus Kreider screening the goaltender has really worked

Yeah they have to work on that but against Montreal they just seemed to be struggling a bit with their passes. If you can stay calm and get the right puck support against an aggressive PK you can open up a lot of holes. I suspect they work on it...

Vickers8

Yeah they have to work on that but against Montreal they just seemed to be struggling a bit with their passes. If you can stay calm and get the right puck support against an aggressive PK you can open up a lot of holes. I suspect they work on it...

I know have to work the puck down low

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What does Zucc have to do to be appreciated by some here? Score 4 goals a night? He was one of our best players and has been in several games now

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Didn't get to see this game for reasons :naughty:

Another shutout for Hank! Zucc 1st star though? Was he that good?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah I heard that Miller played like jesus christ last night, another goalie who does that :shakehead 3rd time in a row.

NHL has Zucc as 1st star though?

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
The PP is at 20.5% and 12th in the league. Those numbers are like a foreign language to me.

Even when we don't score, we move the puck lightning quick and look so much better on the PP it's insane. I mean I'm sure going up against Buffalo had something to do with it but it was nice to see us control the puck and make plays on the PP as opposed to gaining the neutral zone dumping the puck in and then immediately losing possession and having the puck fired back into our own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad