Proposal: Buffalo - Nashville

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I can see why Nashville’s side wouldn’t like this deal and I could also see why some would question Reinhart’s production especially if he were with Nashville.

If Reinhart were with the Preds he’d probably have to play with Matt Duchene since Duchene is considered somewhat more offensively capable then Johansen would be.

If Johansen and Reinhart were on the same line they’d probably cancel each other out since they play a similar type of game.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
:sabresAcquires: RW Viktor Arvidsson, rights to LW Alex Campbell and a 2nd round pick in 2021

:nashvilleAcquires: RW Sam Reinhart and a 4th round pick in 2022

This proposal is a mix change of scenery trade for both teams. Not sure how close the value is but tried to balance it for both teams as both players bring different intangibles to their respective teams.

Buffalo makes this deal to add a good skater and a player that is creative with the puck that has good hands in close. Arvidsson also has plenty of playoff experience.

Viktor Arvidsson’s contract is 4.25mil x 4 seasons and is 27 years old.

Nashville makes this deal to add an outstanding skilled 2-way playmaker that owns an underrated shot.

Sam Reinhart’s contract is 5.2mil at 1 season, RFA (arb.) when deal expires after the 20-21 season. Reinhart is 25 years old.

I have no interest in this.

if buffalo trades Reinhart it’s either a picks/ prospects trade or its for a Dman 21-25 yrs old.

there is a way for buffalo to keep Hall and Reinhart till summer 2023. After then, buffalo can’t afford both of thrm. Mid season if buffalo resigns Hall to a higher amount on a short 3-4 yr deal then buffalo will be moving Reinhart for futures. They could also trade him for a U26 Dman likely post ED.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Why would the Preds take the worse player, on the worse contract, and add the better pick?
I wouldn’t say Reinhart is worse player then Arvidsson is.

I also don’t believe a 1 year contract that is renegotiable (RFA) at the end of it is worse then a 4 year deal that is locked in doesn’t matter if the player has a good season or bad season, that contract is locked in for the 4 seasons and the way Arvidsson plays he might start breaking down towards to end of that deal.

There’s been discussion in this thread and posters have commented on Reinhart’s game and inefficiencies and I’ve also seen most posters say Arvidsson is a much better player but I believe both players are just about on the same level.

Reinhart probably would have had a 60 points last season if the season wasn’t cut short, where as if Arvidsson had played a full season I don’t believe he would have gotten more then 50 points, so it’s debatable who the better player is.

Reinhart is a smart player as well while Arvidsson sometimes makes questionable decisions in the offensive and neutral zone.

I don’t believe Arvidsson can be a consistent 60 point player for the rest of his contract in Nashville as he’s not a line driving type of player, I also believe most teams have figured out how to defend against Arvidsson hence the drop in points in 18-19 and another drop off and injury in 19-20 for Arvidsson.

Reinhart seems to be trending up while Arvidsson seems to be treading down.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Reinhart has a good pass hence more assists then goals, Sam also has an excellent shot from anywhere in the offensive zone whereas Arvidsson shot seems to be better at the circles or below.

I thought Buffalo fans would be more against this deal then the Preds fans but I can see how losing a great skater that is a two time almost three time 30+ goal scorer would hurt.

I wasn’t sure about the value since Arvidsson only has 15 goals and 28 points last season but it was only due to the fact that Viktor missed time because of injury from a Robert Bortuzzo cross check to the back.
RV is freaking loved by the fans in Nashville it would take a lot to give him up. Dude has no ass after every game from hustling it off. That hustle is his only problem because it causes some injuries. I like Reinhart but the only guy on Buffalo’s roster that moves the RV needle is Eichel. You just don’t trade players like RV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
RV is freaking loved by the fans in Nashville it would take a lot to give him up. Dude has no ass after every game from hustling it off. That hustle is his only problem because it causes some injuries. I like Reinhart but the only guy on Buffalo’s roster that moves the RV needle is Eichel. You just don’t trade players like RV.
Yea I got the sense watching Arvidsson’s game that he is a heart and soul player for Nashville that gives 110% each and every shift, the concern I would have is can he keep that type of intensity up in his game without taking a nose dive or while under control with 4 year contract left with Nashville.

His numbers have declined in the last two seasons, he also missed time in the lineup last season due to injury, so that did not help either, I don’t believe Arvidsson would drop off a cliff right away but after a few more seasons of hockey the way Arvidsson plays could be in the beginning of a downward spiral if he doesn’t refine his game.

I also don’t believe Arvidsson will reach the 30 goal - 60 point plateau again in his career unless he gets more offensive driven linemates within the next two seasons.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
All Arvidsson needs to do is stay healthy, then 30 goals is in the bag. He would have been flirting with 50 the year before, so it's not like just skimming 30 is his ceiling. He's on another level than that.

And that's before factoring in any shift in deployment the Preds might take in their offensive game under Hynes. I keep going back to it, despite it being such a small sample, but the way the JoFA line was used as a "real #1 line" in the playoffs really signaled the potential for a huge change, and I hope after all this time off nobody on the staff forgets it and forgets just how well that line played when finally deployed that way consistently. If the team comes back to that gameplan, all the more reason to consider Arvidsson a shoo-in for 30+. But you just never really know with the Preds, alas.

Health is still an issue though, because Arvidsson maybe does play a little too fearlessly for his size. I find he also missed the stretch passes a little bit last season with Subban gone. They have to get the rest of the D looking for those bombs again more.

Anyway, no matter how many times anybody wants to argue in favor of Reinhart, there is just NO WAY that is any kind of fit for the Preds. Arvidsson is exactly what we need. You could flip that original proposed deal the other way and make it Reinhart+2nd+Mittelstadt for just Arvy and I'd still easily pass. If Preds fans saying this sort of thing doesn't register, well, fine, but that's how it is. :dunno:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
In terms of value Nashville gets shafted because of contracts, but the fit is bad for both teams.
The difference between the contracts is 950k which is a minuscule amount. The fit for both players would be debable.

Reinhart is younger on the upswing and Arvidsson is a few years older and could be in for a downturn in a few seasons because of his style of game.

How much longer can Arvidsson keep up that intensity before he breaks, for a smaller player that gets defended to the wall more recently I would say maybe 2 seasons.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The difference between the contracts is 950k which is a minuscule amount. The fit for both players would be debable.

Reinhart is younger on the upswing and Arvidsson is a few years older and could be in for a downturn in a few seasons because of his style of game.

How much longer can Arvidsson keep up that intensity before he breaks, for a smaller player that gets defended to the wall more recently I would say maybe 2 seasons.
Reinhart is on a 1-year contract and has 2 years of RFA status left. Arvidsson is signed on a cheaper 4-year deal. That's a massive difference.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
But even going by just this reduction... Nashville has MUCH greater need for Arvidsson's skating and scoring ability. In fact, Nashville probably needs another Arvidsson on top of the current Arvidsson.

Maybe would you trade Olofsson to us? Not for Arvidsson, though. We don't actually have anybody left to spare in a trade, unfortunately. We just need another scoring winger, basically.
You actually sell Reinhart a little short. His production is similar Arvy's career GPG is .34 while Sams is .27. PPG Arvy .63 and Sam .63 as well. Durability is the major difference otherwise it is pretty much a wash. It would be interesting to see what Sam could do on a 1st line but this trade really does not help either team.

Now Olofsson thats another matter he is an upgrade to Arvy but has the same durability questions and is smallish like Arvy while listed at 5'11 he is more like 5'9. He is a PP stud but not very good defensively so I am not sure Poile would have much interest.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Reinhart is on a 1-year contract and has 2 years of RFA status left. Arvidsson is signed on a cheaper 4-year deal. That's a massive difference.
Yes but Reinhart is expected to be a consistent 60 point player, while I doubt if Arvidsson will ever get to the 60 point plateau again.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
.........dahlin

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yes but Reinhart is expected to be a consistent 60 point player, while I doubt if Arvidsson will ever get to the 60 point plateau again.
Based on what? Arvidsson has more actual 60-point seasons and another where he was easily pacing to pass that. He also edges Reinhardt out in PPG average for their careers. While he has done that on a superior team, it is also a team that is almost a complete black hole for offensive production (unless you're a d-man).

This is putting too much stock in the notion of him being injury prone. He only struggled in regaining form from the Bortuzzo injury and nearly the entire forward group had awful numbers this season.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Now Olofsson thats another matter he is an upgrade to Arvy but has the same durability questions and is smallish like Arvy while listed at 5'11 he is more like 5'9. He is a PP stud but not very good defensively so I am not sure Poile would have much interest.

No. Olofsson has a deadlier shot (and Arvy can shoot lights out too) but Arvidsson is a better all-around player...much more of an all-action presence on the ice.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Based on what? Arvidsson has more actual 60-point seasons and another where he was easily pacing to pass that. He also edges Reinhardt out in PPG average for their careers. While he has done that on a superior team, it is also a team that is almost a complete black hole for offensive production (unless you're a d-man).

This is putting too much stock in the notion of him being injury prone. He only struggled in regaining form from the Bortuzzo injury and nearly the entire forward group had awful numbers this season.
The forwards did struggle last season as a whole in Nashville but looking at what the Predators lost since going to the cup final to now you’ll see that Nashville hasn’t really added any scoring forwards besides Luke Kunin, so that tells me if the team struggled as a whole what is going to make them any better.

Teams can easily game plan against the JoFA line since their isn’t as much of a scoring threat from the rest of Nashville’s forwards besides Duchene.

Nashville should be looking to change things up on their scoring lines as it seems their forwards are becoming stale and susceptible to easily being defended.

Arvidsson does the majority of his damage using speed and separation, but the defensive adjustments that teams have made to him are beginning to completely nullified him, and he’s been unable to adjust since he doesn’t have to 2-way acumen or the hockey IQ that Forsberg, Johansen and even Reinhart has.

Barring Arvidsson adding some new dimensions to his game, he projects to top out as 50 point player as Arvidsson should be a 2nd line winger since he is not a line driver in his own right.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
What makes you say that? As long as Forsberg, Johansen and Arvidsson are all healthy he should hit 60 pretty consistently.
The decline of Arvidsson’s numbers the last 2 seasons, the type of game he plays which is more susceptible to break down, the way teams defend against him now, the questionable hockey IQ and the questions concerning adjustments or lack thereof in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad