Proposal: Buffalo - Nashville

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
:sabresAcquires: RW Viktor Arvidsson, rights to LW Alex Campbell and a 2nd round pick in 2021

:nashvilleAcquires: RW Sam Reinhart and a 4th round pick in 2022

This proposal is a mix change of scenery trade for both teams. Not sure how close the value is but tried to balance it for both teams as both players bring different intangibles to their respective teams.

Buffalo makes this deal to add a good skater and a player that is creative with the puck that has good hands in close. Arvidsson also has plenty of playoff experience.

Viktor Arvidsson’s contract is 4.25mil x 4 seasons and is 27 years old.

Nashville makes this deal to add an outstanding skilled 2-way playmaker that owns an underrated shot.

Sam Reinhart’s contract is 5.2mil at 1 season, RFA (arb.) when deal expires after the 20-21 season. Reinhart is 25 years old.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I can't see Nashville doing that. Arvidsson is a top scorer, only issue so far has been getting hurt. He is on a good contract, and the fact that Nashville adds a lot to this deal is weird to me. I just don't see why Nashville does it, getting more 2-way playmakers seems like the opposite of what their goal should be

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The only thing this does for Nashville is help them get younger, but at the cost of a good prospect and a 2nd round pick that we shouldn't be getting rid of.

We also get a more expensive contract and give up the better goal scorer, our absolutely biggest need.

You describe Reinhart as an excellent 2-way playmaker, that's the absolute last thing we need with Johansen and Duchene as our top 2 centers.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I can't see Nashville doing that. Arvidsson is a top scorer, only issue so far has been getting hurt. He is on a good contract, and the fact that Nashville adds a lot to this deal is weird to me. I just don't see why Nashville does it, getting more 2-way playmakers seems like the opposite of what their goal should be
I know it’s a hard deal to make for both teams and I know neither side probably won’t like the deal as each fans base values their own players.

The reason I added a prospect to Buffalo and the higher pick is due in part to Arvidsson’s down season, not his fault though as Viktor did miss around a month and a half due to injury.

Also Reinhart may end up costing more in salary long term to Nashville but GM Dave Poile is one of the best contract negotiators in the NHL so something would eventually be worked out between the two sides.

In the short term the cap hit difference is only 950k, so this deal also leaves enough room for both teams to make other moves to improve their rosters.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The only thing this does for Nashville is help them get younger, but at the cost of a good prospect and a 2nd round pick that we shouldn't be getting rid of.

We also get a more expensive contract and give up the better goal scorer, our absolutely biggest need.

You describe Reinhart as an excellent 2-way playmaker, that's the absolute last thing we need with Johansen and Duchene as our top 2 centers.
Reinhart has a good pass hence more assists then goals, Sam also has an excellent shot from anywhere in the offensive zone whereas Arvidsson shot seems to be better at the circles or below.

I thought Buffalo fans would be more against this deal then the Preds fans but I can see how losing a great skater that is a two time almost three time 30+ goal scorer would hurt.

I wasn’t sure about the value since Arvidsson only has 15 goals and 28 points last season but it was only due to the fact that Viktor missed time because of injury from a Robert Bortuzzo cross check to the back.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I do get worried about Arvidsson's durability sometimes. But not THAT worried. :eek:
Nashville doesn’t really have any big forwards besides Johansen and maybe Forsberg or Sissons not to say Reinhart is big but he is tall and has above average vision on the ice.

As I’ve said both Arvidsson and Reinhart bring different intangibles as both are totally different players.

It’s pretty much Arvidsson’s great scoring ability, his fast skating and good hands in close versus Reinhart’s skillful playmaking ability with his great shot from anywhere and above average passing ability.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Reinhart has an excellent shot lol?!
Sure... Watch the games, see where he scores from. Watch how he protects the puck but can turn and fire a quick wrister out of nowhere.
Reinhart would probably have more goals if he shot the puck more but instead he always looks for the safe defensively responsible play first and foremost.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d pass on that if I was Nashville. Definitely not adding any picks for sure.

I’m glad we’re done with Avs - Habs proposals.

realistically, we’re probably done with nhl trades for a while.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’d pass on that if I was Nashville. Definitely not adding any picks for sure.

I’m glad we’re done with Avs - Habs proposals.

realistically, we’re probably done with nhl trades for a while.
Yea I’m sure the trade front will be quiet for awhile but I made a shakeup proposal anyhow just for a conversation piece in the dog days of November...:sarcasm:

If Nashvillle doesn’t get back to their winning ways a real shakeup could be in store of them as the coaching change was evident of the downturn in the mood of the Preds front office.

I also wanted to comment on Ryan Johansen. I’m not sure if it’s just me or does it seem Johansen has lost a step in the skating department or was he sporting an injury that caused his skating to fall off a little, maybe the Preds fans could chime in the Johansen more since they would have more knowledge about his game then I would.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sure... Watch the games, see where he scores from. Watch how he protects the puck but can turn and fire a quick wrister out of nowhere.
Reinhart would probably have more goals if he shot the puck more but instead he always looks for the safe defensively responsible play first and foremost.

The same Reinhart who Sabres fans have previously jokingly referred to as "Muffin" due to his lack of excellent shot?

I'm a Sam fan but his bread and butter is his work down low and in front of the net, his shot has nothing to do with any success he has. And while he's certainly not bad in the defensive end of things it's quite a stretch to refer to him as some excellent 2way forward. He's adequate defensively.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville doesn’t really have any big forwards besides Johansen and maybe Forsberg or Sissons not to say Reinhart is big but he is tall and has above average vision on the ice.

As I’ve said both Arvidsson and Reinhart bring different intangibles as both are totally different players.

It’s pretty much Arvidsson’s great scoring ability, his fast skating and good hands in close versus Reinhart’s skillful playmaking ability with his great shot from anywhere and above average passing ability.
But even going by just this reduction... Nashville has MUCH greater need for Arvidsson's skating and scoring ability. In fact, Nashville probably needs another Arvidsson on top of the current Arvidsson.

Maybe would you trade Olofsson to us? Not for Arvidsson, though. We don't actually have anybody left to spare in a trade, unfortunately. We just need another scoring winger, basically.

Reactions: Viqsi

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The same Reinhart who Sabres fans have previously jokingly referred to as "Muffin" due to his lack of excellent shot?

I'm a Sam fan but his bread and butter is his work down low and in front of the net, his shot has nothing to do with any success he has. And while he's certainly not bad in the defensive end of things it's quite a stretch to refer to him as some excellent 2way forward. He's adequate defensively.
Yea Reinhart does good work in front as well as in the middle, Sam has good hand eye coordination for deflections as well.

I’m not saying Reinhart has one of the best shots in the league because that wouldn’t be true but most of his goals last season came from open spots wristered in the middle of the offensive zone last season.

I should have more specific when referring to Reinhart’s shots as well due in part that his wrist shot is fairly decent but his slap shot is nonexistent because he rarely ever uses it except for shooting one timers which really isn’t all that well either.

So good wrist and snap but bad slap shot and one timer.

Besides Eichel and Staal there isn’t a player that’s a better 2-way forward then Reinhart is on the Sabres roster could also have Girgensons in the 2-way conversation as well.

Reactions: DJN21

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
But even going by just this reduction... Nashville has MUCH greater need for Arvidsson's skating and scoring ability. In fact, Nashville probably needs another Arvidsson on top of the current Arvidsson.

Maybe would you trade Olofsson to us? Not for Arvidsson, though. We don't actually have anybody left to spare in a trade, unfortunately. We just need another scoring winger, basically.
Nashville added Kunin but he’s nothing like Arvidsson either and with the current flat cap environment who knows if the Preds wouldn’t even want to comment any salary to UFA’s this season during the uncertain times.

Losing Granlund and Smith as UFA’s really slimed Nashville forward depth down.

Hopefully Tolvanen, Trenin and Tomasino can make an impact in Nashville’s lineup eventually or the Preds might be forced to make a quality good player for quantity prospects picks type of trade or even worse yet a full rebuild since Nashville’s prospect pool is very shallow and can’t be counted on right away to find many other prospects that would be close enough to making an impact on Nashville’s lineup in the immediate future.

Also I’m not a fan of either team.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
No issues with Arvidsson. Good player and goal scorer, similar tier.
But I prefer Reinhart: he's bigger, younger, and a better all-around talent.

More importantly, the Sabres already have Olofsson with a very similar game and Skinner who also fills the top-six sniper role. Arvidsson doesn't fit their needs.

Reactions: sabremike

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Did you even look at contracts? In a flat cap world Arvidsson @ 4x4.25 is far more valuable than Reinhart @ 1x5.2, even if Reinhart is an RFA.

Reactions: biturbo19

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yea Reinhart does good work in front as well as in the middle, Sam has good hand eye coordination for deflections as well.

I’m not saying Reinhart has one of the best shots in the league because that wouldn’t be true but most of his goals last season came from open spots wristered in the middle of the offensive zone last season.

I should have more specific when referring to Reinhart’s shots as well due in part that his wrist shot is fairly decent but his slap shot is nonexistent because he rarely ever uses it except for shooting one timers which really isn’t all that well either.

So good wrist and snap but bad slap shot and one timer.

Besides Eichel and Staal there isn’t a player that’s a better 2-way forward then Reinhart is on the Sabres roster could also have Girgensons in the 2-way conversation as well.

The fact that there isn't a better 2way player on the roster is more a reflection of the Sabres not addressing that than a positive for Sam though

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Everything about this trade is a loss for Nashville

Reinhart is a fine player but I don't see any incentive for Nashville here

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad