Friedman: Buffalo interested in Nick Schmaltz

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I can understand that POV at the same time, Asplund imo is much more likely to be an actual NHL player than Tage is.

Asplund can be a defensive F and MAYBE adds a bit of O. Tage I'm just not sure is an NHL player.
I'd much rather take my chances with the sizey guy with a great shot and questionable tool box. :dunno:

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Smart of Arizona to simply blow it up, even if it's probably mostly due to financial considerations. Mediocre cap team with no future right now. Gotta be sad to be a Coyotes fan though to see pretty much everything not nailed down get traded for futures + no 1st rounder for 2 years.

I hope the Devils (or their parent organization) don't end up hiring Chayka.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Looking at Schmaltz' contract I don't see why Buffalo would add to Risto for him. Considering track record, production and contract I'd argue Ristos value is quite a bit higher.

Ristolainen + Hutton
for
Schmaltz + Raanta

Saves money and caphit for AZ, gives them a player to man the more important position.

Maybe Buffalo retains a bit on either player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Smart of Arizona to simply blow it up, even if it's probably mostly due to financial considerations. Mediocre cap team with no future right now. Gotta be sad to be a Coyotes fan though to see pretty much everything not nailed down get traded for futures + no 1st rounder for 2 years.

Of the young players, Schmaltz is the easiest to trade for value and the least needed. He is a pure playmaker and there's too many of those in the AZ top 9 right now. That cash/AAV is better spent on someone that is willing to attack the net.

Tocchet is also dumb as a box of rocks, so I expect Schmaltz to do well elsewhere.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017

I don't think anyone else in the league is ready for the John Chayka Experience™

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Lots of players on the Coyotes whom Buffalo should be interested in: Stepan, Raanta, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Fischer, etc. Definitely some really good possibilities.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Lots of players on the Coyotes whom Buffalo should be interested in: Stepan, Raanta, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Fischer, etc. Definitely some really good possibilities.
I think everyone is available with the exception of Garland, Dvo, Chykrun, Crouse and Hayton. But even them, make an offer.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo needs good players but Schmaltz on top of Olofsson, Skinner would mean a pretty unbalanced top 6 when it comes to defensive play and lots of dollars locked up.

I'm fine with givkng up surplus RHD but if we trade any of our really valuable assetts for him without solving 3C, 4C, LHDx2 in other trades it's going to be another painful season.

Prestigeworldwide

Apr 21, 2017
Well which Arizona forwards not named Kessel would Risto or Montour as the main piece get us.
The Schmaltz - Risto swap would make sense for a base of trade since OEL maybe getting moved. Honestly depends what Armstrong thinks of the Coyotes team. Ive seen Kellers name as well. He could just be getting a feel from other teams how they value his players. I liked how Keller played in the playoffs and if he can bring it like that during the regular season as well I don't want to trade him but we shall see. Not a fan of his contract. I would imagine Stepan, Fisher and Hinostroza are moveable pieces.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What would the pick/prospect cost of Schmaltz be? Just curious if the sharks would look into a deal. I dont think divisional is a barrier considering OEL and that arizona is moving so soon.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The Schmaltz - Risto swap would make sense for a base of trade since OEL maybe getting moved
Kind of makes sense anyway because Chychrun and OEL are the only defensemen of note locked up beyond this year.
Why the hell are we interested in these players when we already gave up and are trading Eichel
Clearly, he's intended to replace Eichel once you trade him to New York for a third rounder and cap space.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Looking at Schmaltz' contract I don't see why Buffalo would add to Risto for him. Considering track record, production and contract I'd argue Ristos value is quite a bit higher.

Ristolainen + Hutton
for
Schmaltz + Raanta

Saves money and caphit for AZ, gives them a player to man the more important position.

Maybe Buffalo retains a bit on either player.
Raanta’s bonus is already paid so he’s due only $2m in actual cash next season. Schmaltz is due $3m in actual cash. Ristolainen is due $4.4m and Hutton $2.75m.

Antti Raanta is a really, really good goalie. Absolutely elite numbers. Over the last three years his SV% and GAA combination is among the top 10 in the NHL for guys who’ve started a meaningful number of games. His only problem is he’s injury prone. Apart from that, elite numbers.

Hutton seems to stay relatively healthy. But it seems like he’s really bad at being a goalie.

I could get behind Schmaltz for Ristolainen but there’s no way I’m adding Raanta and Hutton.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Over the last three years his SV% and GAA combination is among the top 10 in the NHL for guys who’ve started a meaningful number of games.
Top save % and third in GAA for goalies with over 40 games played, as I remember.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Unless something has drastically changed Sabre fans wont be thrilled with Schmaltz if they get him

His effort is lacking at times in own end , he is Charmin soft and constantly passes up scoring chances with puck leading to turnovers

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm going to keep saying Schmaltz and Raanta for Risto and Thompson and a fourth or toolsy but suspect prospect like I have for months until I will it into being.

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
I'm going to keep saying Schmaltz and Raanta for Risto and Thompson and a fourth or toolsy but suspect prospect like I have for months until I will it into being.

As long as Ralph Kreuger is head coach, I can’t see the Sabres trading Ristolainen. And I think both Arizona and Buffalo are looking to cut costs. Schmaltz to Buffalo actually makes sense considering the Pegulas are looking to cut costs next year, and considering the Sabres former Aamateur scouting director Ryan Jankowski is now in Zona. Arizona I’m sure also wants to reclaim some lost draft picks and with OEL on the move, they will need some form of replacement. Schmaltzs deal pays him 3 million in actual salary next year even though his cap hit salary is 5.8m so that fits in with the cost cutting aspirations.

I’m going to guess that the package for such a deal includes Casey Mittelstadt (because of the Jankowski tie), probably Brandon Montour, and Buffalos second round pick 38 overall, but I think the Sabres will probably ask about one of the goalies to be apart of the deal.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I personally wouldn't qualify Montour, and the second piece in Mitt doesn't do much for me as the main piece in a deal as a bit of a reclamation project, so that particular deal does nothing for me, but I'm not whispering in Armstrong's ear, so who knows.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
One of the players Arizona would like to keep. He's 25, produces well, and is paid appropriately for 6 more years.

He won't come cheap, and probably won't be traded at all.

With his contract and cap hit of almost $6 M, good luck getting a ton for him. He's decent forward and can't take a faceoff.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think a 24 yr old warty wing/center that puts up 50 pt pace in AZ where offense goes to die is probably worth a smidge more than a 26 yr old warty defenseman with a slightly higher contract, but reasonable people can disagree.

Well, if you frame it like that? Risto is a 40 point defender who plays on one of the worst offensive franchises in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad