Friedman: Buffalo interested in Nick Schmaltz

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Montour, Tage Thompson, and a 2021 2nd for Schmaltz makes a lot of sense for both clubs.

Arizona gets some cash savings and starts collecting picks for their new GM. Buffalo gets another skilled forward they need for their top 6.

Maybe Raanta gets thrown in for an extra pick or two.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'd want more coming Arizona's way, but I think it's a decent base.

My thought process here is Ristolainen and a piece. Not sure what that piece is, but I like Schmaltz and he's able to fit up and down the line up. His AAV is a bit high, but we need to make wholesale changes in Buffalo.

Reactions: _Del_

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't think there is any appetite to take Hutton. I think that's probably a NMP-issue if I was GM. You're either paying someone to buy him out, or Buffalo does it or buries him.

I'd target Risto, but I have no idea what Armstrong's interest is.

I proposed Risto+Thompson+ for Schmaltz and Raanta awhile ago.
I'm a Sabres fan and unlike some of us, I really like Risto. But this is a deal I would do. I mean, I would rather give you Montour but I quess Arizona would also rather NOT give up Schmaltz. ;)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm a Sabres fan and unlike some of us, I really like Risto. But this is a deal I would do. I mean, I would rather give you Montour but I quess you would also rather NOT give up Schmaltz. ;)

Ristolainen needs a new lease on life. We need to change things in Buffalo, not keep continuing in the same product. Ristolainen has been a solid soldier for almost 8 seasons now. It's time to reinvest and go in a different direction.

Reactions: Wisent42

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
My thought process here is Ristolainen and a piece. Not sure what that piece is, but I like Schmaltz and he's able to fit up and down the line up. His AAV is a bit high, but we need to make wholesale changes in Buffalo.
That's where I'm at. Plus, it seems like an ideal landing spot for Raanta. If they can add Risto and Thompson and some minor piece, I'd be content moving on from Schmaltz and Raanta. Seems very doable from the Buffalo end (based on my limited knowledge of the Sabres) and immediately improves them.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Has Montour gotten a qualifier? I'm not sold on him at all. He's a fine gamble, but not someone you trade your leading scorer for.

No idea if he has or not. I would assume Montour would get a QO from Arizona. There are enough teams that would be interested in Montour that he is flipable at the deadline.

All part of a retool.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If he doesn't get a qualifier from Buffalo who has lots of cap room, why would he get one from Arizona who hasn't seen him in action?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think Skinner needs to play with Eichel, and he historically hasn't been productive with Staal as his center according to Canes fans.

I'm not too hung up on Tage Thomspon, I think he has the potential to be a top-six forward and he's shown improvement, but there are Sabres fans who are really high on him. Maybe it's a sunk cost fallacy thing with him being the only viable piece left from the ROR trade, but I think people would be hesitant to trade him.

I'd trade Tage in a heartbeat... he's dumber than a box of rocks...but he can shoot the puck

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Isn't the only thing the Coyotes are interested in right now is shedding salary and acquiring futures?
Risto and Schmaltz would be a pure hockey trade.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I’d rather have Ristolainen.

So would the Sabres :D (I mean, of course, Risto's the better player.)

I won't bother fiddling around with the particulars, but something around one of the Sabres many RHD + prospects/picks for Schmaltz + Raanta is definitely a solid framework for Buffalo. Would be nice to send Hutton the other way, too, if we're acquiring a goalie.

ETA: I imagine futures would be the primary target for Arizona over a current D, though, since it looks like they're trying to shed salary and do a rebuild but don't have any 1sts in the next 2 drafts.

Last edited:
Reactions: I Like Eich

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If he doesn't get a qualifier from Buffalo who has lots of cap room, why would he get one from Arizona who hasn't seen him in action?

He is getting qualified. The guy is a legit top 4 guy. He just played on his offhand last year

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He is getting qualified. The guy is a legit top 4 guy. He just played on his offhand last year
I'm not sold on that at all. He certainly could be. Talent is there, but I wouldn't gamble on it at that money.

But I'm just another random jackass on the internet.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How is 11 goals in his last 70 games a "leading scorer?" The dude cracked 50 points once.
He led the team in scoring (outside of Hall who was only there part of the season). Isn't that what "leading scorer" means?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Isn't the only thing the Coyotes are interested in right now is shedding salary and acquiring futures?
Risto and Schmaltz would be a pure hockey trade.

You'd be shedding a contract that isn't great value, and getting rid of a player that even his own biggest fans call "one dimensional."

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nick Schmaltz is a very good hockey player and I will fight anyone who argues to the contrary.

He's in the NHL, he's proven that he's good. The question is whether his contract provides value or not, with such a long term. Is anyone going to kill themselves trying to protect this guy at the expansion draft, considering the contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad