Friedman: Buffalo interested in Nick Schmaltz

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, if you frame it like that? Risto is a 40 point defender who plays on one of the worst offensive franchises in the league.
Fair. I just think they are both warty players, and one is cheaper and younger and doesn't play with anyone akin to Eichel. I don't think there's any giant gap. I just think Schmaltz is probably worth a smidge more. :dunno:

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I personally wouldn't qualify Montour, and the second piece in Mitt doesn't do much for me as the main piece in a deal as a bit of a reclamation project, so that particular deal does nothing for me, but I'm not whispering in Armstrong's ear, so who knows.
You wouldn't qualify Montour? Why the hell not?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fair. I just think they are both warty players, and one is cheaper and younger and doesn't play with anyone akin to Eichel. I don't think there's any giant gap. I just think Schmaltz is probably worth a smidge more. :dunno:
A defenseman, and a damn good one, who puts up 40 pts. a year and logs 23 minutes a game, great on the PK and plays on the PP is worth less than a winger, a soft winger at that?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes couldn't have picked a worse time to have a fire sale.

At this rate they're bound to be the first NHL team to be 0-82.
We are not having a fire sale. Do a bit a due diligence before spouting off on a team you know nothing about.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You wouldn't qualify Montour? Why the hell not?
Those aren't the guys you give $3+ million and term to. Those are the guys you farm and use until they price themselves out. And he's basically priced himself out. He's cleverly set himself up for a QO right before he hits unrestricted. So if you don't give him his ask on salary and term, he goes to arbitration and gets a one yr deal to unrestricted status or you walk away from the award and he goes to unrestricted status. And since arbiters weight points extremely heavily historically, it's likely to be ugly. They don't care if he's a riverboat gambler or PP weapon. So there's risk to the award, which means you have the option of taking a bad contract for a year or walking away.
Someone will bite, but I wouldn't want it to me if I have to trade something of worth for him when you're either his holdup victim or he's a rental. I'd sooner let him walk than risk a bigger number in arbitration and rental.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If the Jets get an extra first out of trading Laine, Schmaltz would be a quality investment at 2c.

Are the Coyotes selling off all their assets this year, before they pack up?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
If the Jets get an extra first out of trading Laine, Schmaltz would be a quality investment at 2c.

Are the Coyotes selling off all their assets this year, before they pack up?
Packing what up? We just got a new ownership group who's already planting firm, stable roots in the local community. We're here to stay. But no, we've been forced into a retool of sorts because of draft penalties and a short-sighted trade for Taylor Hall. We've got some solid young pieces still. Selling off others for futures with an eye on competing 2-3 years from now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
A defenseman, and a damn good one, who puts up 40 pts. a year and logs 23 minutes a game, great on the PK and plays on the PP is worth less than a winger, a soft winger at that?

I like Risto. But... to describe him as great on the PK is just wrong.

Reactions: _Del_

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I like Risto. But... to describe him as great on the PK is just wrong.
He is actually very good on the PK. Risto’s biggest issues are in puck transition. He’s quite good at getting the puck and dumping it out of the zone. It just sucks when he’s doing that at even strength when there are multiple outlets.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Buffalo fans: 38+Thompson for Schmaltz?

Make it Mitts instead of Thompson and you have a deal.

..I really don’t know if I’m serious about that. Give it 5 years and I’ll let ya know, but I almost wanna see how Tage develops more than I do Mitts.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He is actually very good on the PK. Risto’s biggest issues are in puck transition. He’s quite good at getting the puck and dumping it out of the zone. It just sucks when he’s doing that at even strength when there are multiple outlets.

I disagree. Whole heartedly.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Make it Mitts instead of Thompson and you have a deal.

..I really don’t know if I’m serious about that. Give it 5 years and I’ll let ya know, but I almost wanna see how Tage develops more than I do Mitts.
Both Mitts and Thompson have some connections to AZ staff now. It'd be pretty funny if both went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad