Friedman: Buffalo interested in Nick Schmaltz

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If Arizona is trading OEL, I'd imagine they'd want a defenseman back and probably a scoring prospect as well.

I can see Mittelstatd + Montour/Ristolainen, does that meet Arizona's needs?
For goodness sakes no to such a deal! He is not a goal scorer and is more of third liner. Guys like him will be a dime a dozen in the covid plus next year or so.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's in the NHL, he's proven that he's good. The question is whether his contract provides value or not, with such a long term. Is anyone going to kill themselves trying to protect this guy at the expansion draft, considering the contract?
Do the Sabres even have actual X-draft concerns? I know AZ doesn't at all.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Yeah, it doesn't seem like there a great fit. Which may be why no trade has happened yet.
Look at his contract! It is such a huge overpayment with a millstone last 3 years with no move no trade I believe. This would be worse than Okposo by far.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Look at his contract! It is such a huge overpayment with a millstone last 3 years with no move no trade I believe. This would be worse than Okposo by far.

I don't think it's anywhere near that bad. Schmaltz is not a goal-scorer, and he's certainly not a defensive stalwart, but there could be a fit for him on RW in the Sabres top 6. That said, the Sabres definitely need to start putting some focus on acquiring good defensive forwards, especially is Larsson isn't coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
He's in the NHL, he's proven that he's good. The question is whether his contract provides value or not, with such a long term. Is anyone going to kill themselves trying to protect this guy at the expansion draft, considering the contract?

He's a first-line winger IMO. I would jump all over his contract.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He SHOULD play RW.
Having lots of "centers" in your lineup up critical in the current NHL, not only from an injury protection perspective but all the centers who get thrown out of the dot on faceoffs. LOL I would slot him RW with Staal and Skinner.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is basically the best trade thread I've ever seen. Some of the other recent ones with Arizona pieces involved have been an absolute nightmare. This one is just Arizona fans and Buffalo fans being reasonable, accommodating and polite. There's even disagreement where both sides of the argument concede that the other has a good point. It's absolutely wild.

What the hell is happening here?!?!?!?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not sold on that at all. He certainly could be. Talent is there, but I wouldn't gamble on it at there at money.

But I'm just another random jackass on the internet.

I don't want to pay the money either for a new contract but I fail to see how he doesn't get qualified

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is basically the best trade thread I've ever seen. Some of the other recent ones with Arizona pieces involved have been an absolute nightmare. This one is just Arizona fans and Buffalo fans being reasonable, accommodating and polite. There's even disagreement where both sides of the argument concede that the other has a good point. It's absolutely wild.

Don't jinx it... we have some bomb throwers that haven't made it in here yet.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

LOL. Very rare for sure.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My favorite so far has been Schmaltz and Raanta for Ristolainen and Tage Thompson. I think I’d even be wiliigot eat 50% on Raanta if Buffalo has cap concerns. Raanta is only due $2m more in real dollars, so we’d on my be eating half of that in actual cash.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don't think it's anywhere near that bad. Schmaltz is not a goal-scorer, and he's certainly not a defensive stalwart, but there could be a fit for him on RW in the Sabres top 6. That said, the Sabres definitely need to start putting some focus on acquiring good defensive forwards, especially is Larsson isn't coming back.
The last 3 years of his contract have a no trade clause and salary to be paid is $7.5 m. $8.45m and $8.5m.. We will have to differ on his value here unless there is a 50% retention.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My favorite so far has been Schmaltz and Raanta for Ristolainen and Tage Thompson. I think I’d even be wiliigot eat 50% on Raanta if Buffalo has cap concerns. Raanta is only due $2m more in real dollars, so we’d on my be eating half of that in actual cash.

I'd do that trade with no retention if you switch Thompson to Asplund.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Apslund is Vinnie Hinostroza if he hits his ceiling. No idea why we'd be interested in him.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
The last 3 years of his contract have a no trade clause and salary to be paid is $7.5 m. $8.45m and $8.5m.. We will have to differ on his value here unless there is a 50% retention.

To be fair, it is a modified NTC with a 10 team ntc. And those last 3 years are still far away which end at/near his 30th birthday. Not horrible.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Do the Sabres even have actual X-draft concerns? I know AZ doesn't at all.

Buffalo and ED

Forwards protected— eichrel, skinner, Reinhart, olofsson, Mittlestadt, 2 more spots

Candidates—Kahun, Thompson, Asplund, any players acquired in trade or signed as UFAs
Exempt— Cozens
UFAs Staal

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
With Ristolainen and Asplund, we are sending you the combined power of Rasmus. Don't scoff at the offer.
Asplund's likable enough. Great wheels, good motor, smart. He's just never put up numbers at any level and he's small. You can't draft him in the second round, and he doesn't have any real trade value, imo, despite being young.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Apslund is Vinnie Hinostroza if he hits his ceiling. No idea why we'd be interested in him.
I can understand that POV at the same time, Asplund imo is much more likely to be an actual NHL player than Tage is.

Asplund can be a defensive F and MAYBE adds a bit of O. Tage I'm just not sure is an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad