Pre-Game Talk: Buffalo for All the Marbles - Pens @ Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
So Buffalo is dead last even if they win and tie Arizona tonight (ROW tie breaker I presume), so we're screwed ;)

LET'S GO PENS!

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Lot of talk about us loosing out on McDavid. Jokes aside, even if we did managed to win the lottery, do we really want him? That would almost be too cruel to the game. We already have the two best centers, what should we do with McDavid? Let him play third line minutes? Use him on the PK? Put him to play with Adams and Kunitz? He'd probably be stuck on the third line for a long time. Think about what the organization did/does to BB, and we really need a winger. What whould they do to McDavid? He'd probably be better off in Edmonton

Trade him for Despres? A coach? A GM? An Owner? :sarcasm:

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Buffalo will play as hard as ever. The players were never tanking, the management just made sure that this doesn't matter. Having clinched the last place means nothing to the guys on the ice, they have nothing to play for (except th upcoming UFAs or RFAs), just like it's been for months.

YinzAintBurgh*

You're kidding right? Perron is about to turn 27 and Kunitz is in his mid 30's. It's not comparable at all. Even if it is a lottery pick, the 1st we traded is not likely to yield a player who is better than Perron so the trade was fine. Meanwhile, the Despres trade landed us a player who is not as good as Despres currently and who will get even worse as he starts to age. It's quite laughable that you even think the 2 trades are comparable.

We traded a first for an injury prone 27 year old. That has played 1 complete season in 6 years and looks like his play is already on the decline. He's not worth a first. Now the Despres/Lovejoy trade... Despres had 4 years and was solid but wasn't nothing special especially with all the future defensive prospects we got. Despres was expendable. We thought we were getting a slightly better defensemen for a playoff push. Even if wrong.. It's not big deal because Despres will never be a Top 10,20,30 defensemen. Now this pick has the potential to be somebody very good in a deep draft. Perron has brought nothing and will never be a factor. They will probably end up trading him anyways :lol:

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Bruins need 1 point if Pens get none, or a win if Pens get 1 and Sens 1 point.Aslong as Bruins tie us in points they win because they got more points in the season series.

That's not correct. ROW is the tiebreaker, not how many season series points.

Bruins have to get 2 points and we would have to lose.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It should be interesting to see how hard Buffalo plays today. On one hand, they've clinched a top 2 pick and want to go out on a winning note for their fans.

On the other hand, a win today puts the Bruins in the playoffs. This morning I talked to a few of my Sabres fan friends, and not one of them wants to see Boston get in. At all. Expletives were used :laugh:

Decisions, decisions lol

Edit: The Broons would get in if the Sabres and Boston both won, of course

Nobody outside of Boston wants to see the Bruins in the playoffs. They're the most hated team in the league, by a wide margin.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Oh, well, that's different. There's really no way in Hell I can imagine us losing in regulation--even with as bad as we've been--to Buffalo while Boston beats Tampa Bay.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
We traded a first for an injury prone 27 year old. That has played 1 complete season in 6 years and looks like his play is already on the decline. He's not worth a first. Now the Despres/Lovejoy trade... Despres had 4 years and was solid but wasn't nothing special especially with all the future defensive prospects we got. Despres was expendable. We thought we were getting a slightly better defensemen for a playoff push. Even if wrong.. It's not big deal because Despres will never be a Top 10,20,30 defensemen. Now this pick has the potential to be somebody very good in a deep draft. Perron has brought nothing and will never be a factor. They will probably end up trading him anyways :lol:

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Awful lot of assumptions you made about the future there. Who's to say Despres can't be a top 30 defenseman? Who's to say Perron will never be a factor here?

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Nobody outside of Boston wants to see the Bruins in the playoffs. They're the most hated team in the league, by a wide margin.

I don't know, I think the Pens are a pretty hated group as well, just for different reasons. I do think you're right though, the combination of "Saints we ain't" and "waaaah, someone hit one of our players!" coming out of Boston has them in least-liked spot.

YinzAintBurgh*

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Awful lot of assumptions you made about the future there. Who's to say Despres can't be a top 30 defenseman? Who's to say Perron will never be a factor here?

What has Perron done so far when they have needed him? Just wait until a couple years when whoever the Oilers get with our pick is good and Perron is out of the league.

I just can't wrap my head around how Despres for Lovejoy is the worst thing ever but a future 1st for what Perron has brought is fine.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know, I think the Pens are a pretty hated group as well, just for different reasons. I do think you're right though, the combination of "Saints we ain't" and "waaaah, someone hit one of our players!" coming out of Boston has them in least-liked spot.

The Pens are hated for sure, but the Bruins are reviled. :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Welp... :laugh: I'm kind of okay with anything. If we don't make the playoffs, my summer starts April 12th. That ain't too shabby. That means I don't have to waste my time watching this team frustrate me.

If they do win, maybe I get a week or two more. Is it worth the prolonged frustration?

To me if they make it I'm looking at as house money. Any playoff success will be great because no one in their right mind should expect anything but 1 and done even if we do get in.

So I'd like to get in because it'd be fun to cheer the team on and see if they could pull a miracle and win a series or two.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Right. Bruins would have to win in regulation/overtime and we'd have to lose to miss.

If we win, we're in.
If Boston loses (in any way) we're in.
If Boston wins in a shootout, and we get 1 point, we're in.
If Ottawa loses in regulation and we get 1 point, we're in.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Perron has played 83% of his career NHL games.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Welp... :laugh: I'm kind of okay with anything. If we don't make the playoffs, my summer starts April 12th. That ain't too shabby. That means I don't have to waste my time watching this team frustrate me.

If they do win, maybe I get a week or two more. Is it worth the prolonged frustration?

I know my wife will be quite happy not having to deal with my abortion of a playoff beard this spring. Even if we back in, we're talking a week at best - so no time for an entry in the scruff hall of shame to develop to the truly annoying phase.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We traded a first for an injury prone 27 year old. That has played 1 complete season in 6 years and looks like his play is already on the decline.

Where are you getting this? You do know that games played info is easily available on the internet right?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Perron struggling is not that concerning to me since every single player on the team sans Ian Cole and Sidney Crosby are struggling right now.

Anyways I'm going to miss the game tonight which is probably a mercy since I don't know how well my heart could take it either way. I'm going to have the biggest panic attack when I go to look at my phone though wondering whether I will see disaster or relief.

YinzAintBurgh*

he's just way too smart for us normal posters.

Let's breakdown the HFB consensus over 2 years...

DB has to go! Now we got a coach that needs to backdoor into the playoffs.

Fleury has to go! He's been our best player all year.

Keep Letang! Looks like he's going to be playing injured or miss playoffs. He's useless.

Liked the Ehrhoff trade - He's been a bust.

Liked Perron trade - Bust.

Hated Cole and Winnik trades - Both have been great.

Your not the smarter group of individuals. I think the only things you have been right about is Despres, Bennett deserves a chance, and Adams has to go. Batting 3 for 20. Thank god none of you are GMs.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
2 complete seasons in 5 years. My bad. Still bad.

2010-2011 (concussion year): 10 gp 72 games missed
2011-12: 57 gp 25 games missed
2012-13: 48 gp 0 games missed
2013-14: 78 gp 4 games missed
2014-15: 80 gp 1 game missed

So aside from his concussion year and the following season he has been quite healthy. He has missed 5 possible games in the last 3 seasons combined. Swing and a miss. Also a 27 year old isn't declining. He's likely injured and will surely turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad