Buffalo Bills Talk 2017 part 2 (9-7): Next - The Offseason with First Round Picks at 21 & 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Lost in the racist stuff, which I won't comment on since both are questionable characters on this matter... #iaintjonathanmartin is awful. He had/has serious mental issues, don't further belittle him.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the supporting cast argument for a rookie QB is irrelevant for a couple reasons. The first reason is that I’d hope the Bills wouldn’t play him immediately. The second is it’s not that bad.

O-line: Center to LT is solid. Dawkins played well enough to be at LT again next season or even move to RG/RT. Incognito and Wood are solid. Groy is a starter who is a back up. Miller can still develop. And the Bills have options with Glenn. LT, RT, or trade. So, they need 1 or two players here depending on what they do with Glenn. It’s not bad. A Dawkins-Incognito-Wood-Groy-Glenn line works.

Tight end: Clay and O’Leary are a good 1-2 combo who have different skill sets. Unless the Bills are moving Clay’s contract, not much need here.

Running back: Bills need a better back up. Fortunately, rookie RBs make great back ups, and teams can get them deep into the draft. Otherwise, Bills are fine here.

Receiver: Bills have a basketball team at receiver. Looks a lot like the Chargers receivers from around 2007-2010. Lots of jump balls and contested throws that the receiver wins. Taylor is a very safe QB so he doesn’t throw a ton of 50/50 balls. Put on video of Philip Rivers in 2007 to see what the Bills receiving corps could be. I’d add a speed receiver at some point. But this isn’t a priority. Having a healthy Matthews and a healthy Benjamin, with their size and wingspan, is exactly who you want a young QB throwing to.

QB: the team can either keep Taylor or sign a veteran. Either way, that QB is just keeping the seat warm for the rookie. Peterman looks like he could develop into a solid #2.

Defense: need DL. Run clogging DTs can be found in free agency. I’d use my picks on athletic pass rushers. LBs and DBs later in the draft and in free agency.

Overall, I’d package to get to #1 and Darnold or #4 and Allen. Either way leaves the Bills with a 2nd and 3rd round pick, so it’s a normal draft instead of a volume draft. I’m ok with that if the team comes away with Darnold or Allen.

Reactions: PirateShip

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think the supporting cast argument for a rookie QB is irrelevant for a couple reasons. The first reason is that I’d hope the Bills wouldn’t play him immediately. The second is it’s not that bad.

O-line: Center to LT is solid. Dawkins played well enough to be at LT again next season or even move to RG/RT. Incognito and Wood are solid. Groy is a starter who is a back up. Miller can still develop. And the Bills have options with Glenn. LT, RT, or trade. So, they need 1 or two players here depending on what they do with Glenn. It’s not bad. A Dawkins-Incognito-Wood-Groy-Glenn line works.

Tight end: Clay and O’Leary are a good 1-2 combo who have different skill sets. Unless the Bills are moving Clay’s contract, not much need here.

Running back: Bills need a better back up. Fortunately, rookie RBs make great back ups, and teams can get them deep into the draft. Otherwise, Bills are fine here.

Receiver: Bills have a basketball team at receiver. Looks a lot like the Chargers receivers from around 2007-2010. Lots of jump balls and contested throws that the receiver wins. Taylor is a very safe QB so he doesn’t throw a ton of 50/50 balls. Put on video of Philip Rivers in 2007 to see what the Bills receiving corps could be. I’d add a speed receiver at some point. But this isn’t a priority. Having a healthy Matthews and a healthy Benjamin, with their size and wingspan, is exactly who you want a young QB throwing to.

QB: the team can either keep Taylor or sign a veteran. Either way, that QB is just keeping the seat warm for the rookie. Peterman looks like he could develop into a solid #2.

Defense: need DL. Run clogging DTs can be found in free agency. I’d use my picks on athletic pass rushers. LBs and DBs later in the draft and in free agency.

Overall, I’d package to get to #1 and Darnold or #4 and Allen. Either way leaves the Bills with a 2nd and 3rd round pick, so it’s a normal draft instead of a volume draft. I’m ok with that if the team comes away with Darnold or Allen.
Tight ends are horrible for the passing game. Neither can run a seam route successfully. Mark Andrews, Oklahoma.
We have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds plus whatever compensatory picks we may get. You don't squander those by trying to move up in to crap shoot range for a QB. There will be 5 QB's off the board in the top 10 most likely.
Mason Rudolph doesn't cut it for a franchise QB imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->