Buffalo Bills: Offseason - Free Agency: Trade for Antonio Brown is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
1-4: Bills' QB Josh Allen with Howard and Jeremy on WGR (14:45)

Tune into @WGR550 now to hear from @buffalobills QB Josh Allen.

DwEmz3WXQAEf5-w.jpg

Allen - There's still quite a bit of work to do this offseason. When February comes around, it's right back to work. I'm excited to have some time off, and to have time to hone in and focus on getting better. #Bills

Allen - This was definitely not the season we all wanted, but to get in and have the chance to learn... it will help me out in the long run, #Bills

Allen - Derek Anderson and Matt Barkley have helped me out so much once they got here. They've shown me how to lead on and off the field, and I can't wait to get back to work with them in April. #Bills

Allen - It's the little things I've picked up on with leading the team in practice, leading them in the huddle, and it's opened my eyes to how things go in the NFL. It's kind of crazy. #Bills

Allen - It was a blessing in disguise to take a step back and see the game from a different viewpoint when I was injured. The game came at me a bit fast before the injury, but then it got better when I came back. #Bills

Allen - We're in a good spot right now on offense and I trust Brian Daboll and what he has in store for us. #Bills

Allen - I'm still working on being better with my decision making... the defense was giving me the looks where I could take off in front of me. To win consistently in this league, we have to win from the pocket. #Bills

Allen - We really found ourselves late in the season, we got better. We have so much room to grow, and it was a lot of fun to be a part of. I was also happy we sent Kyle Williams off the way we did. #Bills

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
1-4: Jon Ledyard from The Draft Network with Schopp & the Bulldog on WGR (21:38)

Talking NFL Draft for the first time this offseason with @LedyardNFLDraft! #Bills

Ledyard - Pass rusher is still a need. I think they can get by if they don't draft one, but there's a ton of names there. #Bills

Ledyard - They could easily trade down, especially if they're looking at wide receiver. #Bills

Ledyard - You've got to get Josh Allen some help. You have to see what he looks like with great talent around him. I like WR DK Metcalf. He has the most upside in this draft. Size, speed, not the most polished. Looks like a Greek god. #Bills

Ledyard - I love Riley Ridley (Georgia WR). Not sure if he'll declare, I think he will. Bigger than his brother Calvin. Still a very good route runner, not quite as fast as his bro. Terrific hands outside his frame. #Bills

Ledyard - Later in day two there's some speed options. A lot of different options at receiver. Deep deep class, and I'm starting to like the guys at the top more and more. #Bills

Ledyard - Everyone talks about getting a speed guy & being big. That's why DK Metcalf is so appealing. Josh Allen isn't the most accurate QB, so getting a guy who's very good at adjusting can only help. #Bills

Ledyard on UB WR Anthony Johnson - My guess is he'll be a mid-round pick. I watch him & he's solid all around, but what's his elite trait? He's good at most things, but not sure how he gets to top level.

Ledyard on UB QB Tyree Jackson - Looks like he felt he can get better at college level, not at Buffalo. Wild at times, very raw, obviously the tools you want. If his desire is to be a 1st or 2nd round pick, this year it wasn't going to happen.

Ledyard on 2019 QB class - To me Jacksonville at 7, & Miami at 13 need one. Oakland & the Giants it's up in the air. Not sure what the Raiders options are unless they really love Dwayne Haskins.

Ledyard - Right now I'd be shocked if anyone that's not Dwayne Haskins (OSU), Drew Lock (Missouri), & Daniel Jones (Duke) went 1st round. Not even sure if all of them will.

Ledyard - You can't be mad about an impact pass rusher. It's arguably the most important position outside of QB.

Ledyard on Kentucky's Josh Allen - It'd be pretty ironic if the #Bills drafted Josh Allen back to back years. He's exactly what they need as a pass rusher. Hard worker, good character guy, just what Sean McDermott should be looking for.

Ledyard - At corner it's a weak class. I have questions about all the guys at the top.

Ledyard on Nick Bosa going 1st - I don't think it's 100%. If he doesn't go first, he'll go second.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Tony Gonzalez is a 1st ballot shoe in. None of the others are even close, IMO. There are good players on there, but none who are in the category of Reed and Gonzalez.
I’d put Champ Bailey, Alan Faneca, and Steve Hutchinson in the same class as Reed and Gonzalez. Those guys were the best at their positions for many years.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

The two-year extension backup QB Matt Barkley signed with the Bills last month includes cap numbers of $1.775 million in 2019 and $2.025 million in 2020. He received a $600,000 signing bonus ($200,000 of which counts against the 2018 salary cap). He is due non-guaranteed base salaries of $1.25 million (2019) and $1.5 million (2020), as well as roster bonuses of $4,687.50 per game active each season, up to $75,000. There are workout bonuses of $250,000 each season and playing-time incentives up to $875,000 each season.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

The two-year extension backup QB Matt Barkley signed with the Bills last month includes cap numbers of $1.775 million in 2019 and $2.025 million in 2020. He received a $600,000 signing bonus ($200,000 of which counts against the 2018 salary cap). He is due non-guaranteed base salaries of $1.25 million (2019) and $1.5 million (2020), as well as roster bonuses of $4,687.50 per game active each season, up to $75,000. There are workout bonuses of $250,000 each season and playing-time incentives up to $875,000 each season.

That is a very nice deal. He looked good with Cincy in the pre-season.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That is a very nice deal. He looked good with Cincy in the pre-season.

A friend of mine is a huge Bengals fan & said he was one of the worst QBs he's ever seen...

That said I really like the moves in resigning both guys. Keep stability in the room.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Haha, love that Harbaugh is too hard headed to out in Flacco. Jackson is the fraud we all knew he was and for some reason the coach refused to do what is in the best interest of the team.

Mobile quarterbacks are only effective if they can also be a pocket passer when the defense commits to using spies. That is what makes Wilson and Mahomes so effective.

Hopefully Allen lands in that latter category. I don’t think Jackson has the talent to beat a team with his arm.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Guy will never start a regular season game in the NFL. Bad decision.

So earning an guaranteed NFL paycheck, whereas if he goes back to college may never get an NFL paycheck (i.e. gets a terrible injury) is a bad decision?

Anyone that can get drafted first 3 rounds with limited potential to move up their draft status should just commit.

We have a 2 QBs on the roster who were guaranteed top 3 overall picks at one point even without injuries didn't get that.

If you're in the NFL, you go in as soon as possible, make as much money as quick as you can, and then leave.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
So earning an guaranteed NFL paycheck, whereas if he goes back to college may never get an NFL paycheck (i.e. gets a terrible injury) is a bad decision?

Anyone that can get drafted first 3 rounds with limited potential to move up their draft status should just commit.

We have a 2 QBs on the roster who were guaranteed top 3 overall picks at one point even without injuries didn't get that.

If you're in the NFL, you go in as soon as possible, make as much money as quick as you can, and then leave.
He has to make the NFL to earn an NFL paycheck. He is a very flawed prospect who isn’t even ranked in the top 10 QB prospects by most in a very weak class.

He should have stayed in school to develop or transferred to a power 5. In the NFL, few players get time to develop properly. With a 53 man roster you just get cut.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
He'll be a develomental QB in the NFL as a day 3 pick. Way too early to say what he'll be in the long run.

Maybe, but I think that is wishful thinking. We all want him to be successful because he is a Bull, but I personally think he made a very poor decision.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
He has to make the NFL to earn an NFL paycheck. He is a very flawed prospect who isn’t even ranked in the top 10 QB prospects by most in a very weak class.

He should have stayed in school to develop or transferred to a power 5. In the NFL, few players get time to develop properly. With a 53 man roster you just get cut.

If he's not an NFL prospect, then you ride the hype, get drafted as high as possible on the hype and stay on the team because they can't cut a guy drafted high so soon.

Him going Power 5 doesn't develop him into a better QB.

If he goes now, he's a top 3-5 round pick. That at worst gives you 3-4 years making an NFL paycheck. During that time, he can develop.

If he waits, he's more than likely to lose a year of getting an NFL paycheck while also losing draft stock.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
If he's not an NFL prospect, then you ride the hype, get drafted as high as possible on the hype and stay on the team because they can't cut a guy drafted high so soon.

Him going Power 5 doesn't develop him into a better QB.

If he goes now, he's a top 3-5 round pick. That at worst gives you 3-4 years making an NFL paycheck. During that time, he can develop.

If he waits, he's more than likely to lose a year of getting an NFL paycheck while also losing draft stock.

If he thinks he is a legit talent, then you bet on yourself and try to become a 1st rounder by transferring. I also don’t think it is a lock that he goes in the top 5 rounds.

Also, a heck of a lot of 5th rounders don’t survive more than a year or two.

Time will tell.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
If he thinks he is a legit talent, then you bet on yourself and try to become a 1st rounder by transferring. I also don’t think it is a lock that he goes in the top 5 rounds.

Also, a heck of a lot of 5th rounders don’t survive more than a year or two.

Time will tell.

QBs aren't the same as other positions. Looking quick through the QBs drafted the past 5 years, it looks like everyone is still on a team or practice squad. Peterman would still be on a team over a practice squad right now if the Bills didn't draft him.

This is the same argument as beginning of last year about how Darnold, Allen, Rosen would go top 3 before playing a game. QB is special on the NFL draft. It's hard to keep the hype once you have it. There's far and few between for QBs who are projected to go somewhere in the first and improve their draft stock. Playing more games only hurts your draft stock unless you have nothing else to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad