GDT: Buffalo Bills at NY Jets 09.08.2019 1PM ET

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
But hey, I guess we can move forward the woeful loser bills fan mentality that this team is doomed to mediocrity because the QB didn’t throw for 400 yards and have a flawless game

We have wanted a modern offense for a long time, then the game started and all I saw was run the ball more and bench allen

We have a legit front office and coaching staff, they came out with a gameplan and adjusted it when it wasn't quite working

Next step is getting a tight end and another wide receiver threat

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The game had its ugly moments, but overall I think Allen looked much less lost than he did at the start of last year, which is a big improvement. He had a couple bad hero ball plays that could've turned into INTs if not for defensive penalties/drops. Still, a win is a win no matter how you get it, and scoring a divisional win in week 1 is huge.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I saw the same inconsistent QB that played for the Bills last year. He had bad throws still, though he got bailed out by his receivers on a few of them. Its great they won, but had the Jets had an NFL kicker its a much different game.

This team is a .500 team at best.
You must be a hit at parties.

Reactions: Dingo44

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Our defense is elite and it's borderline taken for granted.

With Allen, it really depends on if the turnovers continue or not. Both interceptions and the snap fumble were pretty flukey. But he got away with two really bad throws, as well. He was actually making some pretty nice throws and didn't even need to rely on his feet very much, so if he can cut down on the turnovers, we may have something.

I think everyone was surprised with the pass-heavy game plan in the 1st half, but it looked like quite a few of those were Allen checking out of run plays based on the defense. Balance on offense is important, but the flexibility to attack what the defense is giving up is even more important, and it's clear that until defenses feel threatened by the pocket passing game, they will not respect it. Balanced offense flows from balanced defensive respect.

So it's basically like what everyone thought before: the team is going as far as Allen can take them. Week 1, it weirdly feels like we both got lucky and deserved to win. I'm reserving judgment until at least week 4.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Our defense is elite and it's borderline taken for granted.

With Allen, it really depends on if the turnovers continue or not. Both interceptions and the snap fumble were pretty flukey. But he got away with two really bad throws, as well. He was actually making some pretty nice throws and didn't even need to rely on his feet very much, so if he can cut down on the turnovers, we may have something.

I think everyone was surprised with the pass-heavy game plan in the 1st half, but it looked like quite a few of those were Allen checking out of run plays based on the defense. Balance on offense is important, but the flexibility to attack what the defense is giving up is even more important, and it's clear that until defenses feel threatened by the pocket passing game, they will not respect it. Balanced offense flows from balanced defensive respect.

So it's basically like what everyone thought before: the team is going as far as Allen can take them. Week 1, it weirdly feels like we both got lucky and deserved to win. I'm reserving judgment until at least week 4.
This is it. It seems like the accuracy concerns regarding Allen were overstated, or perhaps getting legit coaching cleaned up those issues. That being said, he's had his fair share of 'WTF was that throw' moments, though he seemed to clean that up a lot as last year progressed. The potential is there at least.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This is it. It seems like the accuracy concerns regarding Allen were overstated, or perhaps getting legit coaching cleaned up those issues. That being said, he's had his fair share of 'WTF was that throw' moments, though he seemed to clean that up a lot as last year progressed. The potential is there at least.

This is from a few days ago:
How will Josh Allen fare in Year 2? Three former NFL...
Allen’s offensive coordinator at Wyoming, doesn’t necessarily think his accuracy needs dramatic improvement. He just needs to find the right balance between making big plays and taking the easy throws.
As long as you go through the course of a game and that volume of throws that you should never miss doesn’t pile up, I think that’s the biggest thing. I think as these games go on for him the game will slow down,” Vigen said. “The more it slow downs, the more you just know where to find completions and functionally you get your feet where they should be and all of that stuff. I know having had to defend his completion percentage here, we had that conversation a lot, and I’m certain it’s not going to be some barrier to lead his team to winning seasons and have a great extended career.”

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Just re watched the game this afternoon.

Can't really add much that others haven't said already... But the Bills were lucky that CJ Mosley went out of the game. The Jets D looked lost without him... & the Bills did what they needed to take advantage.

Bills D is legit. Probably best in the league with no exaggerations. Pass rush looked great, they kept Leveon Bell relatively quiet in the run game & the secondary was lights out good despite no blockbusting plays.

I'm sticking with my preseason prediction of 2nd in the division with possibility of playoffs.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I saw lots of great QB yesterday and Allen and Darnold weren't it. Mahomes, Brady, Wentz, Keenum and Dalton all played great. This is what Allen should be. To me is was still very inconsistent.

Mahomes is entering his third year in this league and plays for a stacked team. Brady is arguably the best QB in history. Wentz is a 2nd overall QB entering his 4th season. Keenum and Dalton are 8 and 9 year Vets.

This was Allen's 13th NFL game and his offense has 9 different starters. Your expectations are straight up silly and your opinion on Allen isn't something anyone should take seriously.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Mahomes is entering his third year in this league and plays for a stacked team. Brady is arguably the best QB in history. Wentz is a 2nd overall QB entering his 4th season. Keenum and Dalton are 8 and 9 year Vets.

This was Allen's 13th NFL game and his offense has 9 different starters. Your expectations are straight up silly and your opinion on Allen isn't something anyone should take seriously.

Look I understand Bills fans are excited for their QB. He hasn't looked that much better then last year. Bills fans should have high expectations for their QB. Since they passed on Mahomes, Bills fans should expect Allen to be at least as good as him.

All I hear from Bills fans they are happy where his play is at. Bills fans should have higher expectations for their team. Its year 3 of this regime, expectations should be playoffs and a QB who throws for over 3000 yards and 25 TDs.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Look I understand Bills fans are excited for their QB. He hasn't looked that much better then last year. Bills fans should have high expectations for their QB. Since they passed on Mahomes, Bills fans should expect Allen to be at least as good as him.

All I hear from Bills fans they are happy where his play is at. Bills fans should have higher expectations for their team. Its year 3 of this regime, expectations should be playoffs and a QB who throws for over 3000 yards and 25 TDs.

Bills fans should be annoyed at several of these opinions. Especially since some are unrealistic

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Team expectations and player expectations are different. Whether you like it or not, Allen doesn't have the weapons Mahomes has. He's also only had a couple of months getting to play with all the new faces on offense.

You seem to live in a fantasy world where players gel immediately. That's awesome. Congrats.

Most realists understand that the team is going to have some hiccups. There will be ups and downs.

Sorry, but this isn't Madden where you are going to win every game by 40+ points. Tailor your expectations some because you sound like a pure hater.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Dirty Dog

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Bills fans should be annoyed at several of these opinions. Especially since some are unrealistic

What's so unrealistic. If Allen is going to be good, expectations should be he ends the season better then Mayfield, Darnold and Jackson or the Bills won't make the playoffs. What is your expectations if mine are so unrealistic?

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
What's so unrealistic. That Allen won't be good enough to throw 50 TDs or the Bills won't make the playoffs. What is your expectations if mine are so unrealistic?
Only 2 QB's have scored 50TD's in the last decade. (Mahomes last season and Manning in '13).

Allen doesn't need to throw 50TD's to be a successful QB in this league. Brady, for comparison, has averaged about 30/season throughout his career.

You seem to be under the assumption that a 2nd year starter with 13 games on his NFL resume playing on a team with 9 different starters on offense, shouldn't be inconsistent. That's where you are wrong.

It's been 1 game and you're already whining. Dude, get a grip.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
What's so unrealistic. If Allen is going to be good, expectations should be he ends the season better then Mayfield, Darnold and Jackson or the Bills won't make the playoffs. What is your expectations if mine are so unrealistic?

Why should we expect Allen to put up the same stats as a third year quarterback in a (vastly superior) situation? People keep pointing this out to you, and you keep ignoring it.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I am not ignoring it. If Allen is the guy then he should be better then Mayfield Darnold and Jackson by seasons end. That is not high expectations but maybe for you Bills fans it is.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I expect a long curve of improvement over the next two seasons. That is all.
If his growth plateaus within the next two seasons, it will be time to change course.

If he continues to grow, this team will win more than lose.
If he hits his ceiling, this team should become a perennial contender. I don't expect him to hit his ceiling.

EDIT: i think Stealth's confusion is based in his interpretation, or misuse, of the word "expectation."

Reactions: brian_griffin

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I am not ignoring it. If Allen is the guy then he should be better then Mayfield Darnold and Jackson by seasons end. That is not high expectations but maybe for you Bills fans it is.
I'm just hoping he'll become a top-10 QB in this league. Anything more us gravy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad