GDT: Buffalo Bills at NY Jets 09.08.2019 1PM ET

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
66% completion rate, 250+ yards passing, some great throws, a few bad throws, some fluke turnovers. got it done when it mattered. didn't quit.

this thread has been difficult to read all day, seems like some people still want to see this kid fail so they can legitimize their own opinion.

can we wait more than one freaking half of football with entirely revamped offensive personnel before we proclaim the season, the qb, and the coach/gm are all a lost cause?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Buffalo deserved this win!

In my opinion, the Bills were the better team most of the game, on offense and defense. They were just beating themselves with the big mistakes.

Jets should have cruised to an easy victory with 4+ turnovers. Odds of winning are like 97% with that many turnovers. Yet they never really ran away with the game (outside of that 3rd quarter maybe).
The Bills did a good job of controlling the game for the most part though, even despite the killer mistakes.

Plenty of stuff to work on for Buffalo, but IMO there’s lots to be excited about. Josh Allen looked pretty decent I thought. Encouraging to see him calling out defensive protections and checking into/out of plays at the line. He was also visibly going through his progressions, another good sign. He looked in command of this offense.
He started to play “hero ball” a bit in the 3rd. He was trying to get it all back with 1 play. But someone settled him down and got him back to playing within the offense.

It’s going to take some time for the offense to gel. We are the only team in the NFL with 4 new starters on the o-line. Our top 2 WR’s are new. All 3 RBs are new. 3 new TE’s. A center that was snapping the ball to Allen for the 1st time in a live game today. All things considered the offense did pretty good. They moved the ball well.

Very proud of the way they fought till the end. That was NOT the “Same Old Bills”. The same old Bills would have crumbled with all the things that didn’t go their way (and a LOT went against them today). But they didn’t panic and pulled out the win.

Encouraging start to the season!

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Good comeback win! Bills D did a good job in the 1st half limiting the damage from the turnovers, and the offense did what it needed to in the 2nd. Allen obviously can't keep turning the ball over 4x per week, but I thought he was moving the ball well all game, that aside. Singletary was a pleasant surprise in the 2nd half, made some big plays.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
A 2nd year QB is pretty much the longest serving Bill on the offensive side of the ball. Just crazy. It will take sometime to form chemistry but there are some really nice pieces there if they can keep their heads above water for the first couple weeks.

For all the nonsense I thought Allen looked better then both Darnold and Mayfield this week. His legs and arm are going to give him the chance to make up for his other early career shortcomings.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
A win is a win as long as the team learns from their mistakes and improves game by game.

I thought the Jets would be the most difficult of the first three to win. We'll see what the next two weeks bring however there may be a week four showdown with the Patriots for the division lead.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
That game was brutal to watch for 40 mins...

D looked amazing, albeit against the Jets

Offense couldn't stop shooting itself in the foot and did nothing of consequence until Mosely was out. Not bad but hardly encouraging

Allen shook off a bad start, good to see at least. Smarter with the ball (albeit exceptionally lucky on two terrible decisions) but has to consistently give his receivers better shots at the ball.

Singletary was awesome. He has a rare running style coming out of the backfield that's almost halting to allow better cuts/routes but doesn't sacrifice too much speed. Stoked on him.

John Brown looked great for stretches and invisible for others. Beasely teased but wasn't great. Familiarity should hopefully help here

Milano could not cover Bell. Thankfully that's one of the best backs he'll have to face. Should be fine.

Don't care about the Jags but feel REAL bad about the Foles news.

Dolphins looking like everyone's lock to pick against in survivor pools...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Give Allen credit. Kid has a ton of mental toughness. Brushes off bad plays and halfs and keeps going.
It's like a Jim Carey & Jeff Daniels movie...

Weird game. I'm not really sure what the takeaway from this game should be.

The Bills D is good. Singletary is good.

Despite the turnovers, Allen and the Bills offense were able to move the ball well.
The rematch in the season finale probably won't be the game of the week for any of the networks...

Three of the four turnovers weren’t abysmal. The way our first half was described did not match what actually happened.

The D played well - all game - and we possessed the ball enough to withstand those turnovers, clearly.

I don’t know why it took so long, but I guess kudos should be dished to the staff for tweaking st halftime and trying to run the ball a bit, get Singletary involved.
To be fair, not clear to me they could have run less in the second half than the first. I think they had no handoff rushing plays in their first 18 offensive plays.

66% completion rate, 250+ yards passing, some great throws, a few bad throws, some fluke turnovers. got it done when it mattered. didn't quit.

this thread has been difficult to read all day, seems like some people still want to see this kid fail so they can legitimize their own opinion.

can we wait more than one freaking half of football with entirely revamped offensive personnel before we proclaim the season, the qb, and the coach/gm are all a lost cause?
Conversely, if the offense doesn't show increasing cohesion and competency as the weeks continue, imagine the frustrations of the defensive unit knowing they are top-notch but unfortunately handicapped by a JV-squad offense.

I'm pleased for the Bills, as the win should be good for their confidence. Plus, if they will have any chance whatsoever of playoffs, they'll need wins like they had today. They'll compete with 7 or so teams for the remaining wild card so, assume a 15% chance of playoffs. They could also very easily go 5-11 or similar.

Giants are getting roasted by Dallas through the air. Don't know if Allen's accurate enough to do that, and clearly Gallup and Cooper are top-notch receivers.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There

They were still moving the ball decently with Mosley playing. They were undone by mistakes and some bad luck, and weird play calling.

Edit: though some of the consecutive passing might have been due to josh audibles since the jets stacked the box sometimes. I’d have to go back and look.

Last edited:

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

These highlights show how this game unfolded.

It was pretty much the Bills vs. themselves and CJ Mosley.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Amusing personal note:

A few years back I was at the Jets opener vs the Bengals and finally saw them win a game live in my 8th attempt. They won by a single point, the difference being a missed PAT.

Today I was at the Jets opener against the Bills (interestingly enough even though I went to tons of Jets games as a kid because my dad knew someone with tickets back when they were incredibly difficult to get I never saw the Bills despite the fact dad knew they were my second fave as NY's real team). The Bills were victorious by a single point, and once again the difference was a missed PAT.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Good news...Allen on pace for 4000 yards passing and 32 total TDs! Bad news also on pace for 64 turnovers :sarcasm: At least 2 of the 4 were not Allens fault but there was also a pick that luckily was flagged and another dropped. Allen must be better. Mosley was a beast.

Daboll is not good. No reason why the guy who made McCoy expendable not get a carry. Only 4 carries all game is ridiculous.

This team has a lot more talent upfront vs 2018 and the D is elite. But if they play like this most of the year we are going sub .500. I think Allen will rebound next week and gets confidence from it. Luckily Shurmur is a complete moron and will underutilize Barkley. Should be 2-0.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
IDK, I don’t exactly consider a season in which they lucked their way in at 9-7 on tiebreakers, and then didn’t even manage a single TD in the wildcard game to be a successful season.

But even if that does meet your definition of “success,” the team clearly took a step back next year, and so far at least, look even worse now.

A three year regime overseeing a team that gets worse each year, should be enough for Pegula to show McBeane the door.
Have you considered cheering for a different team?

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Good news...Allen on pace for 4000 yards passing and 32 total TDs! Bad news also on pace for 64 turnovers :sarcasm: At least 2 of the 4 were not Allens fault but there was also a pick that luckily was flagged and another dropped. Allen must be better. Mosley was a beast.

Daboll is not good. No reason why the guy who made McCoy expendable not get a carry. Only 4 carries all game is ridiculous.

This team has a lot more talent upfront vs 2018 and the D is elite. But if they play like this most of the year we are going sub .500. I think Allen will rebound next week and gets confidence from it. Luckily Shurmur is a complete moron and will underutilize Barkley. Should be 2-0.

Allen will not average 4 turnovers a game. Hopefully most weeks Allen will not be in a position to try to make some of those hero ball plays that led to possible interceptions. Getting Singletary more involved as well should help too.

If the Bills are looking for a wild card, good week for them: Steelers, Browns, Jags (plus lost Foles), and Bengals lose. Have to think it's the Chargers, Bills, Texans/Titans, AFC North fighting for 2 wild card spots

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I’m amazed that anyone could watch that game and come away disappointed or feeling down on the team. It is week one with 9 new starters on the offense. If you were expecting them to come out and drop 40 on a very solid Jets D, you were dreaming. The team moved the ball well all day and got very unlucky with turnovers. Tipped balls and fumbles are mostly random events, and yesterday both went to the Jets (even the tipped balls when the Jets were on offense went back to the Jets). That won’t keep happening.

Allen showed the ability to correctly read the defense and audible into successful plays.

This team is significantly better than the 2017 team and they are set up to be successful this year and in the future. I’ve never been so confident in the coaching staff and the GM.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Positives:
Defense was dominant. 4 turnovers and only 8 pts allowed? Not too shabby. Run D locked down Bell's rushing totals. Pass rush was consistent and got in Darnold's head. Pass D didnt allow more than 200 yards again.

The offense was consistently making drives down the field allowing the D to get rest, and it showed. We were moving the ball well in the first half, but had some bad TOs. The 3rd quarter we went stale forma bit, but made up for it in the 4th quarter.

Singletary is looking like he'll be RB1! Dude is patient and has a knack to find the holes hitting them with confidence and speed.

Jon Brown! My homie! He was abusing the Jets weak secondary.

Allen was making the short and intermediate throws with accuracy and timing. He also came through in the clutch, and was willing to stick in the pocket, take a hit, and make a play. Love seeing that in a QB because ig a QB ain't willing to stick in the pocket he won't make it in this league.

The O-line played well in pass protection, and was able to make holes for Singletary to abuse their DEs.

Hauschka kicked well.

Cons:
We were careless with the football. A couple of those TOs I'll attribute to week one flukes, but it's still a concern.

Allen's decision making. This is still a major concern for me. He could've been pick 3 times this game. He needs to clean it up if he's going to be our franchise guy.

Gore was blah.

Offensive play call was pretty bad. Daboll should've been using Singletary to the outside all game long. We need a solid run game. Itll only help Allen in the long run.

Overall:

The Bills dominated for 3 quarters of the game, and had a few uncharacteristic turnovers. Allen still worries me, but you see the flashes. The Jets offense never worried me at all. They have a lot of playmakers, but the O line is just bad. Solid win, but obviously there is work to do. I'm not going be too harsh on the TOs. It's week one. If it's week 5 or 6 and we're still being careless with the ball, then I'm going to be ticked. Offensive play calling needs to improve. Defense just needs to do what they do best.

Finally, watching the Bills go into Rutherford and continuously shut Darnold and co. Down was a beautiful sight. I'm happy for the win, and am in a good mood this Monday morning. Thanks Buffalo!

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I saw the same inconsistent QB that played for the Bills last year. He had bad throws still, though he got bailed out by his receivers on a few of them. Its great they won, but had the Jets had an NFL kicker its a much different game.

This team is a .500 team at best.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I saw the same inconsistent QB that played for the Bills last year. He had bad throws still, though he got bailed out by his receivers on a few of them. Its great they won, but had the Jets had an NFL kicker its a much different game.

This team is a .500 team at best.

Receivers “bailed him out”?? In what world? Beasley got an assist on the pick six. It was a window throw that was intentionally low and the dude scooped it up for Mosley. Then later in the game the guy dropped an absolute dime that was perfectly floated in to him. Would have been a 25 yard gain.

The Jets are not a bad team and I still fully expect that week 17 game to be important for both teams.

Josh Allen looked nothing like the QB he was last year, unless you’re talking about the week 17 version. The guy was making adjustments at the line, completed 65% of his passes, and orchestrated 3 straight scoring drives that ultimately won the game. There will continue to be growing pains. Josh was a project QB and we are on game 12 of his career. The guy is going to make mistakes, but as they say “its not how you start, but how you finish”.

But hey, I guess we can move forward the woeful loser bills fan mentality that this team is doomed to mediocrity because the QB didn’t throw for 400 yards and have a flawless game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad