Buffalo Bills: 3-4 (Colin Brown released, EJ out 4-6 weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
He is a rookie....remember that.....

He was also going against the defending SB champs who has the same CBs they had then.

It is fair to question some of the play calling. Maybe EJ didnt exploit a play.

You could go back at the 3 FGs...they made a play here or there those 3 FGs turn into 3 TDs. His stats wouldnt have increased by all that much yardage and the game wouldnt have been as close.

every game he's played in the NFL has been worse than the previous one, I'll be there to mention he had a good game when he finally does

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Kiko Alonso has to be the frontrunner for DROY now.

Manuel...it's a work in progress. Like to see that he's more willing to take shots downfield, but he's got to improve his accuracy on those throws. Better ball security is essential.

Injuries are just absurd, but meh. Defense gave up the big play, but also made plays--reminds me of the Perry Fewell defenses. They came up with the plays when they needed it, even if they got gashed for yardage and points at times. If we can get our defensive backfield back...look out.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Manuel didn't look good in the 2nd half, there's no hand-waving it away, but the play calling is still absolutely atrocious and is routinely putting the him and the rest of the offense in a bad position.

edit: And he was playing against an above-average NFL defense

FanboySlayer*

hey guys he's just like Tebow, sub 50% completion and wins the game

10/22 167yrds 1td 2int
not even a good enough stat line to call him Fitzpatrick-esque

how can you watch Manuel and think "o ya he's the guy" then watch Stevie and think "hes gettin cut soon"? I've seen better quarterbacking out of the Hamburg Bulldogs

you hold Bal to 24 yrds rushing and have 5 picks and nearly lose because your QB couldnt find a play

He has played a grand total of 4 games in the NFL. Most of the great NFL quarterbacks struggled at times during their first season, Jim Kelly included who had pro starter experience in the USFL.

Perhaps EJ Manuel won't ever be an elite QB - from where we've been at the position getting a merely capable starting QB would be a big step up.

I think he's going to be a very good QB in time, he has the size, arm, athletic talent and mindset of a good QB. His major flaw right now is accuracy and the nuances of the position. Fouts mentioned his footwork as the culprit on one of his underthrown deep balls. That kind of stuff can be worked on with good coaching.

Not sure what you wanted the Bills to do at QB - was there somebody a lot better in your estimation in the draft? You wanted more Fitzpatrick?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Oh, and Marcus Easley is a STUD on special teams coverage. I thought he'd do OK in the return game (hasn't had the chance to really do much yet there with the touchbacks), but did not see him being such a solid guy in coverage.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Oh, and Marcus Easley is a STUD on special teams coverage. I thought he'd do OK in the return game (hasn't had the chance to really do much yet there with the touchbacks), but did not see him being such a solid guy in coverage.

QFT. He has been awesome as a ST's gunner this year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I liked the play calling better today. The offense wasn't as predictable, and even showed a little bit of creativity.

I thought Manual played better than his stat line would indicate. He would of had another TD pass if wasn't for the TE tripping up all on his own.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He was worse against Carolina than new England ?

Yes. Considerably.

But I thought today was actually his 2nd best game, so I don't agree with the statement you were responding to either.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I've never seen so many people whine about a rookie QB after him and his team WON a game. WON a game against the defending Super Bowl champs, a week after the Ravens blew out the Texans. The Bills won today in a classic fashion - running the ball well, controlling the time of possession, and playing solid defense. I'm happy they won, and am excited to see this team as a WHOLE continue to progress.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
What are they chances any of Gilmore, Bryd, McKelvin, or Williams can play on Thursday? And how awesome would the secondary be with those four guys?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Compare Manuel's numbers to a guy who was also thought to be a project, Ryan Tannehill.

Through 4 games last year, Tannehill had 2 TDs, 6 INTs, but slightly more passing yards. This year, he's doing very well.

Now obviously that's a bit of cherry-picking--there are lots of projects who just end up sucking. But it's way too early to tell which camp Manuel is gonna fall into.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What are they chances any of Gilmore, Bryd, McKelvin, or Williams can play on Thursday? And how awesome would the secondary be with those four guys?

McKelvin and Byrd have at least been limited participants in practice this week, so they are probably more likely than Gilmore. In fact, haven't really heard much about Gilmore re: timetable for return.

Williams said after the game he's unsure of his status for Thursday.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The playcalling wasn't as bad as Baltimore's LOL. 9 Runs against a team that can't stop it? Was the OC on acid?

To be fair, they weren't getting anywhere in the first half, and Buffalo's depleted secondary is precisely what I'd expect an OC to attack...but they definitely abandoned the run too early.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Isn't the "project" label just another cheap way to sell hope? I mean, that's what it sure feels like.

We get a crap class of quarterbacks at a time when the fanbase was screaming for a quarterback, so the marketing gurus get our scouts on tape raving about his "potential" to get season ticket holders to bleieve again.

Meanwhile, they completely ignore every other major media outlet ripping the Bills' organization for the pick (as I'm sure most of us were willing to.) I'd like to think we have all been burned by this method enough times to recognize it when it's playing itself out, but maybe they were being legitimately truthful with the fans, and the lot of us are just being impatient. Maybe they honestly thought EJ could be something special somewhere down the line.

Damn it all. Where's Captain Hindsight when you need him?

It's hilarious that anyone thinks this sort of thing actually happens

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The playcalling wasn't as bad as Baltimore's LOL. 9 Runs against a team that can't stop it? Was the OC on acid?

They also decided to kick a field goal when they were down by six late in the game and only 6 from the end zone.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
"Wegmans wants Buffalo to lose"

Apparently that was flying around the stadium today :laugh:

Wegman's sucks. Overpriced for the same crap I can get at Tops and whatever. They also cheat and slap their name on products. I suppose every store does this though. The only good things is their subs and that's cause they are gigantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad