May 28, 2012
Josh-Allen-cereal-box.jpg

*part of a balanced football team

Reactions: Dirty Dog

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

The division lead means nothing to me at this point. They were one yard away from beating Seattle and if they had Cam, they probably are the same boat against the Chiefs. They played two of, if not the best, teams in the NfL very well. Their schedule is also not bad sans Ravens, Rams and Cards. They get the Broncos and 49ers the next two weeks who are in injury hell. Pat's could easily go 11-5 or 12-4 which makes our two games must wins. Keep Josh upright and make Cam throw 40+times.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Now it feels like there is a list of contenders for Chiefs' AFC crown

This season began with only one team really having a serious chance of upending the Chiefs in Kansas City's quest for a second straight championship: The Baltimore Ravens.

Now it feels as if the list of quality contenders has ballooned as the first quarter of the season comes to a close. The Pittsburgh Steelers are legit. The Cleveland Browns are much improved. The Buffalo Bills have a blossoming star quarterback in Josh Allen and the Ravens – even after suffering a Monday night beatdown by Kansas City a week ago – still have enough talent to be considered a threat.

This is what happens when a season unfolds and speculation ends. We start to see what teams are really made of, how much they've grown and where they could eventually end up when the postseason begins.

The Chiefs also will meet a Buffalo team in Week 6 that has quickly made everyone realize that last year's success was far from a fluke. The Bills made the postseason as a wild card team in 2019, with most of their accomplishments resulting from a fast, physical defense. Now, Allen has turned into a quarterback who's making Mahomes-like throws and fully enjoying the presence of shifty new receivers like Stefon Diggs and Cole Beasley. That Buffalo defense has plenty of talent as well, with a fierce pass rush and a secondary led by Pro Bowl cornerback Tre'Davious White.

If there's a game that will tell us a lot more about this year's version of the Chiefs, it will be that Thursday night meeting in Buffalo. That will be Kansas City's third game in 11 days – thanks to the Patriots game being moved to Monday – and the Chiefs will be coming off a contest with another physical opponent, the Las Vegas Raiders. If Kansas City can dominate during that stretch, then God help the entire league. It's more likely that they'll deal with the kind of challenge that New England just gave them, which is what's supposed to happen when you're the defending champions.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
The division lead means nothing to me at this point. They were one yard away from beating Seattle and if they had Cam, they probably are the same boat against the Chiefs. They played two of, if not the best, teams in the NfL very well. Their schedule is also not bad sans Ravens, Rams and Cards. They get the Broncos and 49ers the next two weeks who are in injury hell. Pat's could easily go 11-5 or 12-4 which makes our two games must wins. Keep Josh upright and make Cam throw 40+times.

even with cam, they are playing 2017 Buffalo bills football. Tight defense with a boring offense. They play a keep it close type of game and will no be blown out with that defense. I don’t buy that cam looked all that much better than Hoyer, only difference is that he is mobile. The guy has 2 passing TDs in 3 weeks. He isn’t lighting the word on fire, regardless of what ESPN tells you.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I’ll agree that our two games against them very important. However I don’t agree on a two game division lead meaning nothing.

Yes it is early in the season but a two game lead is a two game lead. That means they need to win two more games than us to even have tie breakers come into play and three more to outright beat us. Even if we go 7-5 in our last 12, with a split with NE, they then have to go 9-3 in their last 12 to bring in tie breakers, and this isn’t the NE teams of old.

Also if we split with them the first tie breaker is out the window, you’ve gotta figure we’ll both be 4-0 vs the division, so we’re at least at the third tie breaker of common games which is too hard to predict at this point and if we tie on that it is conference games which we have a leg up in currently.

Am I crowning us division champs? Absolutely not? Am I loving having a two game lead and thinking it matters? Absolutely!!

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It’s nice to have a 2 game lead.

NE lost 2 road games at sea at kick ( buffalo has both st home
Thry both beat the fins and raiders but at opposite locations.

I look at road raiders/chiefs to be equivalent games.

NE at sea/rams same as at SF/Aztor buffalo. NE is 0-1

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NFL Power Rankings, Week 5: Bills are the real deal

Rank 4
Up 2
giphcy6ie9mxbnldntsf

Buffalo Bills
4-0
Previous rank: No. 6
Lost amidst the buzz over Josh Allen's huge Year 3 leap: A suspect start by Buffalo's defense, one of the league's strongest units in 2018 and '19. The defense struggled again early against the Raiders on Sunday before delivering a vintage second half -- forcing a punt and two turnovers in an eventual 30-23 win. The Bills are 4-0 because they no longer need the defense to be perfect to win games. The Allen-led offense hums week after week, and proved again why he was the best offseason acquisition made by any team in 2020. His 49-yard catch, coming immediately after a Raiders turnover, set up the game-clinching score. There's nothing fluky about this start.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Just realized I posted the same power rankings as above. So taking that away but this is important too:

Last edited:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I’ll agree that our two games against them very important. However I don’t agree on a two game division lead meaning nothing.

Yes it is early in the season but a two game lead is a two game lead. That means they need to win two more games than us to even have tie breakers come into play and three more to outright beat us. Even if we go 7-5 in our last 12, with a split with NE, they then have to go 9-3 in their last 12 to bring in tie breakers, and this isn’t the NE teams of old.

Also if we split with them the first tie breaker is out the window, you’ve gotta figure we’ll both be 4-0 vs the division, so we’re at least at the third tie breaker of common games which is too hard to predict at this point and if we tie on that it is conference games which we have a leg up in currently.

Am I crowning us division champs? Absolutely not? Am I loving having a two game lead and thinking it matters? Absolutely!!
It is cool to have but they have a much easier schedule than us the remainder of the year. Tennessee isn't a given with how they run. Then it is KC on a short week which I have 0 expectations of a win, then NY. Then you have the Pats and the Seahawks in back to back weeks then travel to Arz before hitting a bye. That is f***ing brutal and sets up for that division lead to diminish.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bill O'Brien: how one man fashioned the Texans in his own hellish image
As a reminder of the state of play when O’Brien was fired on Monday:
-- The Texans have the NFL’s highest payroll this year at $248m.
-- They are projected to be $6m over the salary cap this offseason.
-- Over the past 12 months, they have traded away Jadeveon Clowney and DeAndre Hopkins, two bonafide All-Pros, for a bag of nothing.
-- They do not have a first- or second-round pick in the next draft because of a trade that brought Laremy Tunsil from the Dolphins.
-- They have only four picks in the 2021 draft.
-- They are 0-4.

He's had a lot of success as a coach but keep him away from personnel decisions. He won't have any problem landing a new job. I see him ending up with the Jets.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Got an Allen color-rush jersey. First NFL Jersey purchase of an active player since Jerry Rice.

This year has been fun.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
For how many years have we been sold that a potent offense is better than a potent defense.

Well this weekend we test that hypothesis.

the 3 offense against the 6 defense. And the 22nd defense against the 29th offense.

who comes out on top?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bill O'Brien: how one man fashioned the Texans in his own hellish image
As a reminder of the state of play when O’Brien was fired on Monday:
-- The Texans have the NFL’s highest payroll this year at $248m.
-- They are projected to be $6m over the salary cap this offseason.
-- Over the past 12 months, they have traded away Jadeveon Clowney and DeAndre Hopkins, two bonafide All-Pros, for a bag of nothing.
-- They do not have a first- or second-round pick in the next draft because of a trade that brought Laremy Tunsil from the Dolphins.
-- They have only four picks in the 2021 draft.
-- They are 0-4.

He's had a lot of success as a coach but keep him away from personnel decisions. He won't have any problem landing a new job. I see him ending up with the Jets.
Wife is a Texans fan (besides Bills and Raiders). We've been watching most their games in past few years, including the training camp coverage they did one year on the Texans (forgot what that's called). She's really happy they cut bait. O'Brien's son has the medical issue which must be a bear to shoulder through with the time commitments of an NFL job, but he wasn't right for Houston.

His coaching the past few years with the Texans has not been stellar. They should be / could be / are better than their record has been, regardless of their playoff appearances. His personnel decisions as GM don't need repeating.

Rank the following in order of stupidity:
1. Coach Bill O'Brien.
2. GM Bill O'Brien.
3. One person as both coach and GM of an NFL team.
4. That one person being Bill O'Brien.
5. Taking until early October 2020 to get rid of him.

Those 5 cards above still get beat by a 2,3,4,5,7 mixed-suited hand.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
For how many years have we been sold that a potent offense is better than a potent defense.

the 3 offense against the 6 defense. And the 22nd defense against the 29th offense.

who comes out on top?

Titans have 9 players on Covid, not sure it will be a true test.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I like Milano but he is simply unreliable. He is very injury prone and has a history of hamstring injuries going back to his days in college at BC. Unless he is taking a 2-3 year deal on a team friendly dollar amount I think I am making a Milano replacement my #1 free agent signing. I am drafting the long term CB2 in round 1 or 2 (signing FA CBs cost too much).

Sign a top LB, draft a CB in round 1 or 2 and draft another pass rusher with the other top 2 pick. Our offense skill players are set for years. Gabe Davis looks like a future stud. That is the Beasley long term replacement. Maybe a high end TE would be the cherry on top but it isn't that big of a need.

After years of neglecting the offense we now need to solely focus on the D next draft/free agency.

And this still does not feel real. 4-0 and we are a legit top 5 team with a top 3-5 at worst QB.Once the running game gets going we are going to be a Super Bowl contender.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

who comes out on top?
Rankings by team yards per game? yards allowed per game? scoring? what is the ranking?

And the rankings themselves aren't meaningful without understanding the differences in absolute values, and/or the context of opponents played to date, # of plays per game, etc.

The data I've seen has BUF offense at 410 & TEN at 392 ypg. BUF yielding 382 and TEN 422 YPG. Factor in the Bills time of possession dominance vs. the Jets, and I believe: (1) the two teams aren't as far apart as "the rankings" may or may not suggest, and, (2) one single game, in particular, the BUF-TEN game, is meaningless in an argument re: offense in preference to defense. Any honest person would want a team to excel at both.

Finally, all these rankings, past performance, etc., is moot given potential COVID impacts on projected rosters for any/all teams. Stuff could happen any day, even Saturday, which impacts game-day decisions/play.

To your OP, however, count me in on favoring an aggressive defense which limits YPG, with good red-zone effectiveness and turnover ratio (top-10 in each of those categories should guarantee playoffs). And similarly preferring a top-10 offense in terms of YPG, with average time of possession >30 min per game. A game-clock controlling offense implies a competent running game - need not be top-10, but must be capable).

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

who comes out on top?

We were sold that it all starts with defense. This team is undefeated because they can score points.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No team aside from the 00 Ravens can win a title with just an elite D and that Ravens team had an elite run attack.

We have a team that can put up 4+ TDs a game no problem. There is not a team in the league that we are unable to keep up with. Having a QB who is going to put up 40 TDs makes us a true contender. If the D returns to the last 2 years version and the offense keeps it going? Well we go from a super bowl contender to a super bowl favorite. Just unreal

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Motor has now reached his 16th game.

201 carries, 987 rush yards, 4.9 ypc, 3 rush td, 45 receptions, 308 receiving yards, 2 receiving tds, 1295 total yards.

Averaging under 13 carries a game. For a non clear cut #1 back those numbers are damn good. Cannot wait for Moss to get back, once Motor is fully running and Moss is also up and going we are going to have a top 3 overall offense.

And more proof you can find high end rb production outside the first 2 rounds.

It feels good having young proven top tier talent at QB, RB, WR1, LT, G and WR3 (Davis). Would like a 3rd round RT and this offense will be very very scary in 2021. Especially if some sucker team hires Daboll. We are succeeding in spite of not because of Daboll.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Motor has now reached his 16th game.

201 carries, 987 rush yards, 4.9 ypc, 3 rush td, 45 receptions, 308 receiving yards, 2 receiving tds, 1295 total yards.

Averaging under 13 carries a game. For a non clear cut #1 back those numbers are damn good. Cannot wait for Moss to get back, once Motor is fully running and Moss is also up and going we are going to have a top 3 overall offense.

And more proof you can find high end rb production outside the first 2 rounds.

It feels good having young proven top tier talent at QB, RB, WR1, LT, G and WR3 (Davis). Would like a 3rd round RT and this offense will be very very scary in 2021. Especially if some sucker team hires Daboll. We are succeeding in spite of not because of Daboll.

Come on - I know your takes on Daboll but you should start giving him some credit. He's absolutely a part of the success.

I don't think he's ready or proven enough for a head coaching role yet tho. Maybe after a successful season we can start to prepare for that scenario. You have to think KCs OC is the next one in line before Daboll.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Two titans test positive today.

Welp... Sunday’s game is almost assuredly going to be postponed/cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad