Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
There are a several QB's that have had some success with weaker arms in recent years. Bridgewater has a weak arm and he just signed a 63 million dollar deal, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick. All have weak arms, but are smart QB's that can read defenses. That's the hope with Fromm. Peterman sucked because he had a weak arm and he didn't have the high football IQ to see that DB's were sitting on the poorly timed floaters to the outside. Obviously the Bills believe he is intelligent enough to read the defense and not make those throws. Time will tell if they are right. I'm not ready to rush into a judgement before he's thrown a single pass in the NFL and call him Nathan Peterman or Luke Falk.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
There are a several QB's that have had some success with weaker arms in recent years. Bridgewater has a weak arm and he just signed a 63 million dollar deal, Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzpatrick. All have weak arms, but are smart QB's that can read defenses. That's the hope with Fromm. Peterman sucked because he had a weak arm and he didn't have the high football IQ to see that DB's were sitting on the poorly timed floaters to the outside. Obviously the Bills believe he is intelligent enough to read the defense and not make those throws. Time will tell if they are right. I'm not ready to rush into a judgement before he's thrown a single pass in the NFL and call him Nathan Peterman or Luke Falk.

Peterman was hyped just like Fromm. He was supposed to be pro-ready and people raved about his football smarts and IQ. I still remember people telling me Peterman was a "steal".

And when he went into a pre-season game against people going half speed many people lost their minds.

What it comes down to is that QBs with incredibly poor arm talent are limited in the NFL.

I personally would not draft a QB, even as a backup, without higher upside to start.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Peterman was hyped just like Fromm. He was supposed to be pro-ready and people raved about his football smarts and IQ. I still remember people telling me Peterman was a "steal".

And when he went into a pre-season game against people going half speed many people lost their minds.

What it comes down to is that QBs with incredibly poor arm talent are limited in the NFL.

I personally would not draft a QB, even as a backup, without higher upside to start.

“Tom Brady

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.
Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.
Information provided by Pro Football Weekly”

yes, I get it, there is only one Tom Brady. But when it comes to QB, taking a shot that this guy is a 1 in 300 that goes from a 5th round or later to a pro bowl QB ... why not.

Josh would have to fall flat on his face the next two years for Fromm to see the field. If that happens we will be drafting another QB high in the near future anyway.
No one is calling for the kid to give Josh a run for his money ( if they are, they are dumb, sorry). But I’d rather take a flyer on a QB who falls than a special teams linebacker.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
“Tom Brady

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.
Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.
Information provided by Pro Football Weekly”

yes, I get it, there is only one Tom Brady. But when it comes to QB, taking a shot that this guy is a 1 in 300 that goes from a 5th round or later to a pro bowl QB ... why not.

Josh would have to fall flat on his face the next two years for Fromm to see the field. If that happens we will be drafting another QB high in the near future anyway.
No one is calling for the kid to give Josh a run for his money ( if they are, they are dumb, sorry). But I’d rather take a flyer on a QB who falls than a special teams linebacker.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking Fromm's scouting report sounds similar to Brady's in his draft year. Not that anyone should bet on Fromm becoming a HOF'er, or even a starter, but there's certainly some upside to gambling on a QB who thinks the game at a high level.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

I have no idea what Fromm is going to become, but you're nitpicking specific attributes and comparing them to guys that didn't pan out. I would say Peterman hit the floor of his projection, so using him as a comparable is strictly pushing a narrative.

Also, Fromm has an average arm, I wouldn't say it's weak. Brees is a guy that succeeded with less than ideal height and average arm strength, but I wouldn't compare Fromm to him either. However, I will say Fromm has been a much more hyped football prospect since high school.

For comparison, Fromm was a 4 star recruit, and rated as the 7th best pocket passer by ESPN, while Peterman was a 3 star recruit rated as the 25th best pocket passer. Fromm started as a true freshman and continued to start for 3 straight years for a major SEC program and won. A lot. Peterman couldn't win the starting job at Tennessee and eventually had to transfer to Pitt, where his results were mixed.

As for the hyping, Bill's fans are insane (just like all NFL fans), of course they're gonna hype their young draft prospects (again, just like all NFL fans). I think the kid has more potential than you're giving him credit for.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I have no idea what Fromm is going to become, but you're nitpicking specific attributes and comparing them to guys that didn't pan out. I would say Peterman hit the floor of his projection, so using him as a comparable is strictly pushing a narrative.

Also, Fromm has an average arm, I wouldn't say it's weak. Brees is a guy that succeeded with less than ideal height and average arm strength, but I wouldn't compare Fromm to him either. However, I will say Fromm has been a much more hyped football prospect since high school.

For comparison, Fromm was a 4 star recruit, and rated as the 7th best pocket passer by ESPN, while Peterman was a 3 star recruit rated as the 25th best pocket passer. Fromm started as a true freshman and continued to start for 3 straight years for a major SEC program and won. A lot. Peterman couldn't win the starting job at Tennessee and eventually had to transfer to Pitt, where his results were mixed.

As for the hyping, Bill's fans are insane (just like all NFL fans), of course they're gonna hype their young draft prospects (again, just like all NFL fans). I think the kid has more potential than you're giving him credit for.

His arm is terrible. It's not average for an NFL starter..it's not even close to average.

There are other NFL scouts that mentioned the same thing and why he dropped to the 5th.

This is is the sort of player coaches love..not scouts. Which is why he reminds me of Peterman who was drafted by McDermott.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have no idea where you came up with those QBs as comparable.

Cousins has a rocket arm compared to Fromm.

In recent drafts the arm talent comps I see are

Peterman
Falk
Rypien
Finley
Rudolph

I've not been following the NFL in detail for that long... But Rudolph is the first guy I thought of in comparison to Fromm.

Except Rudolph probably has a higher floor & was certainly thought of more highly coming out of CFB compared to Fromm.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I've not been following the NFL in detail for that long... But Rudolph is the first guy I thought of in comparison to Fromm.

Except Rudolph probably has a higher floor & was certainly thought of more highly coming out of CFB compared to Fromm.

And we saw what happened when Rudolph had to enter an NFL game. He was so awful that the only throws he could make were pop passes to the rb or a wr. Anything to the sideline or down the field hung in the air like a volleyball. He was benched for Duck Hodges, a 3rd string nobody.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we're really trying to find the pro comp for Fromm (in terms of career trajectory) the two names that come to mind for me are Cody Kessler and AJ McCarron. Successful college QBs at big football schools that played in top-level conferences that had demonstrated good football acumen but fell because they lacked the sort of arm talent you look for in an NFL QB. They both turned out to be competent backups, which is about what we're hoping Fromm ends up being.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
As far as the Peterman comparisons, the big difference is that Peterman played against very weak competition in college and ultimately that was kind of his undoing. He didn't process fast enough to keep up with NFL defenses. Just go and look at his low-light real and you'll just see his processing is too slow. That, coupled with a lack of arm strength to put zip on his throws to make up for the slow reads, lead to pick city. I have no clue if Fromm turns into anything at all, but that's less of a concern for him having played in the SEC.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Athletic trainer for Zack Moss, Gabriel Davis says they will give Bills 'everything you ask'
High praise for Moss and Davis

"They drafted two kids who are going to come in and play right away because they're going to study their playbook," Gaines said of Moss and Davis. "They're never, ever going to get in trouble. They're going to give you everything you ask. The great part about them is that they already were kind of like pros, because they've both been working out, hanging out with pros the last few months. I think their transition's going to just be very smooth. And they've got a great supporting cast around them."

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Insisting on comparing a guy to the last guy who happened to be on this team is self-centered and lazy. There are dozens if not hundreds of QBs of that archetype that have entered the NFL and few of them have been as bad as Peterman.

Reactions: Eichel9

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Insisting on comparing a guy to the last guy who happened to be on this team is self-centered and lazy. There are dozens if not hundreds of QBs of that archetype that have entered the NFL and few of them have been as bad as Peterman.
In fairness, many of them would be, but just never see the field.

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Fromm is Delhomme. Move along now.

Delhomme was a bit more athletic and had more of a gunslinger mentality than Fromm does.

Fromm is a cerebral QB who throws WRs open. He has an average at best NFL arm and average at best NFL athleticism.

This is my overriding thing though -- who really cares if we used a 5th round pick to take a long-term backup QB that might turn out to be an asset going forward. Best case scenario? He shows something, Josh improves and we spin Fromm to a QB-needy team for a 2nd. I don't think Fromm is ever going to be a top-flight NFL QB. But he could go on to be one of those "good backup, OK starter" types. And it's a 5th round pick.

Value-wise, it was a good pick. Heck, he's going to be a cheap backup QB for a good few years so we can spend money elsewhere while our window is somewhat open.

My bottom line: It's a 5th round pick used on a guy we hope can become our Frank Reich to Allen's Jim Kelly. Anybody else we were taking in the 5th round, it would have been "OK, where does he fit on special teams" or "Can we stash this guy on the practice squad". No issue with the pick at all......I'm actually intrigued by it.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Schedule to be released Thursday at 8.

Bills' opponents this year, as a reminder:

Home: Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers, Rams, Seahawks
Road: Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Titans, Raiders, Broncos, 49ers, Cardinals

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Bills letting Isiah McKenzie walk.

edit: my bad, article was from March before they re signed him.

Last edited:

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Right after Fromm was drafted Darnell Mooney at WR and Harrison Hand, CB got drafted.

Both are players who not only have a chance to see the field but have potential to start.

I get that Fromm is an attempt to get cheaper at backup QB but this is case where I would just prefer to pay a real backup.

I don't want to hear how Fromm is "impressing the coaches" and see him end up starting if Allen gets injured. The division is up for grabs and backup QB is something we can afford right now.

If they want to save money cut Trent Murphy.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Right after Fromm was drafted Darnell Mooney at WR and Harrison Hand, CB got drafted.

Both are players who not only have a chance to see the field but have potential to start.

I gotta say its nice to read the complainer posts about a 5th round pick because Beane has done such a great job. Picking at the smallest thing to find to bitch about

Reactions: Zman5778

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Any lingering FA's that interest you? A few I have my eyes on:

RB: I know we drafted Moss, but I'd still love to add a vet with homerun and/or pass catching ability. To that end, Theo Riddick, Bilal Powell, and Ty Montgomery are all guys I'd be interested in bringing in to compete with Yeldon for a spott.

WR: You could argue that there isn't even room for another camp body, but to the extent we want to give Isaiah McKenzie (who the team seems perpetually unwilling to commit to) some competition for speed/gadget guy, Taylor Gabriel is sitting there in free agency. He would add a catch and run homerun element to our offense that it is currently lacking.

TE: It seems like we're destined to keep Kroft, which is too bad, because I'd love to hand Delanie Walker, Jordan Reed, or Vernon Davis a one-year deal in that role.

Secondary: I wonder if they try to add a rover/big nickel type guy in FA after not getting one in the draft. Dre Kirkpattrick is an interesting name. He's a guy that has always had a ton of talent and never quite put it all together, but I wonder if McDermott could reinvent him into an asset on defense in a redefined role just for him.

LB: Darron Lee is a pretty huge draft bust, but I remember loving him his draft year. He's an undersized LB with great speed, and only 25 years old. Would love to see if McDermottt could help him figure it out.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Any lingering FA's that interest you? A few I have my eyes on:

RB: I know we drafted Moss, but I'd still love to add a vet with homerun and/or pass catching ability. To that end, Theo Riddick, Bilal Powell, and Ty Montgomery are all guys I'd be interested in bringing in to compete with Yeldon for a spott.

WR: You could argue that there isn't even room for another camp body, but to the extent we want to give Isaiah McKenzie (who the team seems perpetually unwilling to commit to) some competition for speed/gadget guy, Taylor Gabriel is sitting there in free agency. He would add a catch and run homerun element to our offense that it is currently lacking.

TE: It seems like we're destined to keep Kroft, which is too bad, because I'd love to hand Delanie Walker, Jordan Reed, or Vernon Davis a one-year deal in that role.

Secondary: I wonder if they try to add a rover/big nickel type guy in FA after not getting one in the draft. Dre Kirkpattrick is an interesting name. He's a guy that has always had a ton of talent and never quite put it all together, but I wonder if McDermott could reinvent him into an asset on defense in a redefined role just for him.

LB: Darron Lee is a pretty huge draft bust, but I remember loving him his draft year. He's an undersized LB with great speed, and only 25 years old. Would love to see if McDermottt could help him figure it out.

Nice list - but the question you need to ask is - did any of these guys ever play for Carolina?

Seriously - the one area I can see the most room for improvement is a pass catching back. Yeldon sucks & should be nowhere near the final 53.

Other than that, the only moves I see affecting the final 53 are shipping some guys out for late round picks instead of cutting them - ala McCarron, Teller, Bodine etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad