Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
In this scenario - the Bills would be adding a young, dynamic back to 'replace' Gore & 'adding' Gore to replace Yeldon.

If it helps to look at it this way...

Gore's room presence is under rated imo. With a few other vets leaving, keeping a guy around like him has increased importance.
yeah I don't disagree with that outlook, guess Perry could stick around for ST's too...IDK, maybe Gore is ready to retire and they could make him an assistant to RB coach and keep him in the room that way.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
After Kuechly announced his retirement the new sport is to speculate on most likely candidates to follow.

Buffalo Bills
Running back Frank Gore
Third on the all-time rushing list, Gore tailed off toward the end of the 2019 season -- his 15th in the NFL -- as the Bills tailored their offense toward rookie Devin Singletary. With little left to prove and his son entering his freshman season at Southern Mississippi, one of the NFL's staples over the past decade and a half could be calling it quits. Gore, 36, proved he can still play at a high level, but the ability to watch his son play will weigh heavily into his decision. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pa...dering-retirement-2020-offseason-16-walk-away

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I'll be shocked if Phillips doesn't sign for $10M+/year somewhere. Every projection I read has the 'one year wonder' stuff, but that's what his prove me contract was for last year. And he was great all-around, not just one of those fluky high sack total years.

As for keeping him here, I think giving Phillips less than Lotulelei's $10M for the next 3 years is a slap in the face. He's a way better player currently.

I too think he will sign for $10+M a year. But I disagree that he was great all around.

He was great at rushing the passer (especially when he could just pick a lane and go) but he struggled as a run blocker and at times was a liability in the run game.

Jordan Phillips recently tweeted that he’s a top 3 DT in the NFL. If that’s the type of money he’s looking for, he’s gone.

Ed Oliver is the better all around player vs Phillips. He’s a better pass rusher and a better run blocker. He’s the starter moving forward (though McDermott uses a heavy rotation).

Plus the Bills have Harrison Phillips coming back, who was really coming into his own before injury, and was rotating in at 1 tech and 3 tech.

As for Phillips being better than star, it’s hard to compare because Star plays the 1 tech and they are asked to do totally different things. Star was pretty good in his role during the 2nd half of the season, and he frees other guys up to rush the passer. He’s definitely better than Jordan Phillips at run blocking and at taking on 2 gaps. J. Phillips is a 1 gap guy.

IMO Phillips strength is as a rotational 3 tech. You want him in on clear passing downs, but off the field against the run (as he tends to get too far up field and it creates lanes for the RB. It’s been an issue since college).

With the way McDermott rotates his d line, and with already having Oliver and Harrison Phillips (and Star in a different role, one that Jordan would not be good at) i’m not really sure it makes sense to bring back Jordan Phillips for big money.

The max I go with JP is about $10M per season on a shorter term deal.
But I think some team overpays for him in free agency due to the sack numbers. He had a career year in every statistical category. He’s never come close to these numbers before. If some team wants to overpay, let them.

I think the more pressing need on the D line is at defensive end. We need someone that can really rush the passer.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
wish somebody would ask how Wades practice squad season went.
I've been wondering about Wade too. Most recent update I could find about him was from this Sal Capaccio article from the other day:

Christian Wade was re-signed to a future/reserve contract, and he is in the exact same situation next year as he was this past season. As part of the International Pathways Program, he is, again, exempt from the practice squad if he does not make the final roster. The Bills chose to go that route this year, which made him ineligible to be activated at all. I expect the exact same thing to happen next year... and a lot of Bills fans shouting that he should have made the final roster.

Reactions: Sabreality

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I too think he will sign for $10+M a year. But I disagree that he was great all around.

He was great at rushing the passer (especially when he could just pick a lane and go) but he struggled as a run blocker and at times was a liability in the run game.

Jordan Phillips recently tweeted that he’s a top 3 DT in the NFL. If that’s the type of money he’s looking for, he’s gone.

Ed Oliver is the better all around player vs Phillips. He’s a better pass rusher and a better run blocker. He’s the starter moving forward (though McDermott uses a heavy rotation).

Plus the Bills have Harrison Phillips coming back, who was really coming into his own before injury, and was rotating in at 1 tech and 3 tech.

As for Phillips being better than star, it’s hard to compare because Star plays the 1 tech and they are asked to do totally different things. Star was pretty good in his role during the 2nd half of the season, and he frees other guys up to rush the passer. He’s definitely better than Jordan Phillips at run blocking and at taking on 2 gaps. J. Phillips is a 1 gap guy.

IMO Phillips strength is as a rotational 3 tech. You want him in on clear passing downs, but off the field against the run (as he tends to get too far up field and it creates lanes for the RB. It’s been an issue since college).

With the way McDermott rotates his d line, and with already having Oliver and Harrison Phillips (and Star in a different role, one that Jordan would not be good at) i’m not really sure it makes sense to bring back Jordan Phillips for big money.

The max I go with JP is about $10M per season on a shorter term deal.
But I think some team overpays for him in free agency due to the sack numbers. He had a career year in every statistical category. He’s never come close to these numbers before. If some team wants to overpay, let them.

I think the more pressing need on the D line is at defensive end. We need someone that can really rush the passer.
I'm wouldn't even offer a contract to Phillips. Oliver and Harrison P. Are going to be the starting DTs going forward, and rightfully so. Giving J Phillips 10 mill a year is a waste of cap space. Better to spend that on a DE, WR, or RT.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I let both Shaq & Philips walk and give that money to DE Yannick Ngakoue.

I think they do what they can to sign Lawson.

But if he walks then Ngakoue would be a great target instesd. They aren't making a Clowney sized splash.

Some of these cap numbers you guys are talking about for Phillips are absurd.... If that's what it takes then no way is he resigning...

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Spain was a to interior guard, he can find a Payday if he goes looking.

Circling back to Spain... Thought he was good last year but I don't think he's a big target for many teams.

Apparently nobody wanted him last year which is why Bills signed him relatively late to a 1yr cheapo contract. Maybe wishful thinking but I'm hoping he factors that into his decision of where to play next year.

Everyone talks about continuity on the OL. Would be big if they could go into next year with the same group. As said in previous thread - upgrades are always possible but I see bigger areas of need both in terms of draft capital & cap.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We don't owe Gore anything, great vet/career, but they need a clear upgrade there. I would love to poach a RB from a backfield commitee like Mostert (trade) or Breida (RFA)...would take Peterson over Gore in a heartbeat...cut Yeldon and replace with Thompson/Riddick/Powell

other guys with possible upside like Prosise (can't stay healthy tho), heck I might take Booker or Barber over Gore too. Gus Edwards (RFA)

A lot of options out there to upgrade behind Motor, wish somebody would ask how Wades practice squad season went.
I'd love to poach Breida. Very underrated receiving back with homerun ability, something our backfield sorely needs.

Reactions: Samsonite23

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If Gore wants to be back, I have no problems keeping him. He has over 350 total touches in the past 2+ seasons with only 1 fumble. That is an important ball-reliability to keep in mind. Personally, I think he'll either retire or 2020 will be his last year.

Reactions: Zman5778

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
In this scenario - the Bills would be adding a young, dynamic back to 'replace' Gore & 'adding' Gore to replace Yeldon.

If it helps to look at it this way...

Gore's room presence is under rated imo. With a few other vets leaving, keeping a guy around like him has increased importance.

PS - being from the UK I would love to see Wade make it more than most. But in reality... You have to think if he does - it will be in a minor / special teams role.

Nearly every team has at least 3 RBs on the roster. I am not advocating for keeping Gore to stay as the #2RB and get 160+ carries again. I want him to stay as the RB3 that Yeldon had occupied but unlike Yeldon dress Gore and give him 5-8 carries a game. Motor had fumbling issues and having a reliable vet to handle the ball late in games is key. Cut DiMarco and keep Gore. We would end up saving at least a mil and Gore can be the lead blocker in the backfield and handle goal line duties.

As for Etienne I have seen more 2nd round projections then 1st round. Swift seems to be ranked higher on nearly every mock/list. I would have no issue drafting Higgins with the 1st and then moving up from the early 50s to the early/mid 40s for Etienne. Those 2 are dynamic and adding them to Josh, Brown, Beasley, Motor and Knox would take our offensive skill to the next level.

Beane has shown that he likes to wheel and deal and has no issue trading up (see Allen;Josh, Edmunds;Tremaine, Ford;Cody and Knox;Dawson). Moving up 10-15 spots for a game breaking RB is worth it. I mean we gave up a 5th to move up 2 spots last year in round 2, so this year I could see us making multiple trades in round 2 to continually move up until we are in the top 12-14 of round 2 and take Etienne.

And going back to Gore, the playcalling and predictive nature of the game flow had as much to do with his YPC then Gores running ability. He showed early in the season he was still capable of ripping off long runs. At the end of the day Gore had our only 40+ yard run not Singletary. That is not a statement saying he is better not at all. Merely a statement that there is still miles left in Gores legs and that his locker room leadership, work ethic he instills in young players and his respect leaguewide is why I want him back as the RB3. Anyone else remember the clip after the Skins game where Frank Gore made sure that AP talked to Singletary? That is leadership. That is respect. This is a younger team for the most part at its key positions and after losing Lorax and Kyle before him having a true leader the young guys to look up to should not be undervalued.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
If Gore wants to be back, I have no problems keeping him. He has over 350 total touches in the past 2+ seasons with only 1 fumble. That is an important ball-reliability to keep in mind. Personally, I think he'll either retire or 2020 will be his last year.

I like AJ Dillon as a late draft pick. Gore 2.0 with a lot more juice. This RB class is loaded and I'm totally fine with Beane taking two this spring.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I like AJ Dillon as a late draft pick. Gore 2.0 with a lot more juice. This RB class is loaded and I'm totally fine with Beane taking two this spring.
I want them to draft a couple as well. And be active on the waiver wire. Singletary is the only one I'm wedded to. But I'd like to see a little more usage (and more reliability from that usage) of outlet dumps to the flat for the passing game (once they fix their O-line such that they don't need to run so many "11" and "12" personnel groupings.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Wonder if Beane shops Foster. He seems to have dropped off and if we look to shore up the WR position, he gets to the bottom quick.

I know Beane likes his picks and I could see him shopping a few guys prior to the draft.

Also, all the RB talk, don't forget about Wade.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

This. I don't want Gore back as our 1B back. Ideally, as has been discussed -- we bring in a dynamic run/catch homerun-potential RB as the 1B. Singletary/newbie/Gore is a fine RB corps. And while I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of Etienne here.......I can't see it in reality. Etienne would make a ton of sense if we didn't have Motor. But I don't want to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. I'd rather see us go WR and O-line maybe? WR and edge rusher? WR and Lorax's replacement? WR and CB to push Levi?

Drafting a RB? Maybe a guy like Perine from Florida in the 4th if he's there?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No issues with him being backup/RB3. Dont use a high draft on a RB, too many holes still
Ideally he would be traded, Gore Re-signs, we draft a RB in the late rounds and hopefully Wade progresses and can provide st snaps. I don't think Perry did enough to warrant just st snaps.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
This. I don't want Gore back as our 1B back. Ideally, as has been discussed -- we bring in a dynamic run/catch homerun-potential RB as the 1B. Singletary/newbie/Gore is a fine RB corps. And while I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of Etienne here.......I can't see it in reality. Etienne would make a ton of sense if we didn't have Motor. But I don't want to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. I'd rather see us go WR and O-line maybe? WR and edge rusher? WR and Lorax's replacement? WR and CB to push Levi?

Drafting a RB? Maybe a guy like Perine from Florida in the 4th if he's there?
Or just spend a little money and go get Chris Thompson

Reactions: Zman5778 and Husko

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

He's still raw, especially against the run, but the potential is real with this kid. He's one if the youngest players in the league playing a very demanding position that requires leadership and communication. Hes going to be a beast for years to come if he can clean up his game a bit.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad