Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2017 Offseason: Brandon Beane named GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Reminder that Gaine was the guy behind getting Osweiler.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''Crushing blow'''''''''''''''''''''''''''' for the Texans, indeed.

It's one thing to be the one who brought him in because of scouting ... everyone wanted Osweiler that offseason.

I'd have an issue if he was behind the deal they offered to him, though. They had to know what he would command.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
It's one thing to be the one who brought him in because of scouting ... everyone wanted Osweiler that offseason.

I'd have an issue if he was behind the deal they offered to him, though. They had to know what he would command.

Even if he was behind Osweiler's deal, I'm guessing he would've learned from that mistake.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
The Osweiler fiasco was an obvious misstep, but you'd think a fanbase that cries QB every chance it gets ("draft one in the first round every year" is even a take that's been suggested by some) would commend a guy for taking a shot on one. It proved to be a dumb contract for a bad player, but this is clearly a guy who recognizes the importance of the position and is willing to take shots to fill it.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
The Osweiler fiasco was an obvious misstep, but you'd think a fanbase that cries QB every chance it gets ("draft one in the first round every year" is even a take that's been suggested by some) would commend a guy for taking a shot on one. It proved to be a dumb contract for a bad player, but this is clearly a guy who recognizes the importance of the position and is willing to take shots to fill it.
There's a gigantic difference between drafting a QB (post-rookie cap) and locking yourself into a huge contract with a guy many people thought wasn't any good.

POWERHOUSE staff, lolz

Sound_n_Fury

Apr 3, 2005
They got power played by ownership. That was clearly a decision from above.

"...By signing Osweiler, the Texans are seeking to improve their ruinous quarterback situation from 2015. Owner Bob McNair has more than once this offseason publicly demanded the Texans find a solution at the position, though his focus has been on the draft."

"Quarterback was our No. 1 priority," Texans owner Bob McNair told the Houston Chronicle. "[Osweiler] was the one we wanted. [General manager] Rick [Smith] said he was going to get him and he did."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14936028/brock-osweiler-sign-houston-texans

"...O'Brien and Smith had agreed from the beginning that if there was a chance the Texans could get Osweiler, 25, they would vigorously pursue him.

"Rick did a heck of a job," Bob McNair said. "He said, 'I'm going to get you a quarterback. Regardless as to where he might come from, we're going to get you a quarterback.'

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...uisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

But our boy did have some fingerprints on the decision (not the contract, however):

"...Brian Gaine, who serves as the director of player personnel, oversees the pro department. Part of his responsibility is to compile scouting reports on players in the last year of their contracts and present them to Smith.

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks."

Last edited:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Does anyone believe he was the guy who made the call on Osweiler? Every report you read, it was clearly an O'Brien and Smith call.

Never underestimate the naysayer's abilities to spin all things Buffalo related into something negative. :laugh:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
But our boy did have some fingerprints on the decision (not the contract, however):

"...Brian Gaine, who serves as the director of player personnel, oversees the pro department. Part of his responsibility is to compile scouting reports on players in the last year of their contracts and present them to Smith.

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks."

Sounds like he just presented reports to Smith and O'Brien. For all we know it could have said..ehh if he is free, sure I'll take a stab or hard pass..he is trash

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Really doesn't matter. Bill Walsh was high on Trent Edwards. Andy Reid high on Kevin Kolb. The Packers drafted Brian Brohm high in the draft to replace Aaron Rodgers.

Many highly qualified people get QB wrong all the time. The key is to never be satisfied until you find the guy. I don't criticize the Bills for drafting Todd Collins, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and EJ Manuel. I criticize them because that's all they drafted over a 20 year period.

You have to take swings. No one even cares that Seattle gave Matt Flynn $21 million in 2012. That's because they also drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

I was unaware of this and will be using it as trivia as I visit with family over the next couple days.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Pegula finally is doing it. Loading up the front office. I expect the same for the Sabres.

And the more i think about it... how do you not like that hire if it's true??

THe last three seasons, I know for a fact I've said at the start "KC should suck" and by the end of the year, they're in the postseason. They draft well. Allen was obviously a huge part of that.

So one wonders, "what the actual **** is the appeal to both he and Gaine to not just move laterally, but to the franchise who hasn't made the postseason since 'Nam??"

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
and the more i think about it... How do you not like that hire if it's true??

The last three seasons, i know for a fact i've said at the start "kc should suck" and by the end of the year, they're in the postseason. They draft well. Allen was obviously a huge part of that.

so one wonders, "what the actual **** is the appeal to both he and gaine to not just move laterally, but to the franchise who hasn't made the postseason since 'nam??"

c.r.e.a.m.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
And the more i think about it... how do you not like that hire if it's true??

THe last three seasons, I know for a fact I've said at the start "KC should suck" and by the end of the year, they're in the postseason. They draft well. Allen was obviously a huge part of that.

So one wonders, "what the actual **** is the appeal to both he and Gaine to not just move laterally, but to the franchise who hasn't made the postseason since 'Nam??"
Money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad