Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2017 Offseason: Brandon Beane named GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Pegulas doing what Pegulas do - doing the same thing with the Sabres and Bills front office/coach overhauls, limiting their horizons to Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Eventually they will luck out and some of their decisions will work out - it won't be because they were smart though.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Pegulas doing what Pegulas do - doing the same thing with the Sabres and Bills front office/coach overhauls, limiting their horizons to Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Eventually they will luck out and some of their decisions will work out - it won't be because they were smart though.

Going to that carolina well too often eh?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I think Botterill looks like a solid hire. Sabres lucky that Pegulas and Russ Brandon too busy playing with the Bills that they didn't have time to mess up the Sabres.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I think Botterill looks like a solid hire. Sabres lucky that Pegulas and Russ Brandon too busy playing with the Bills that they didn't have time to mess up the Sabres.

For what it's worth, I see some of the same Penguins fans that went "NOO!! DON'T HIRE BYLSMA!" are now saying "NOO, DON'T TAKE BOTTERIL! Take Geurin instead!"

If they think that Botteril was a big part of their resurgence and want him to be the eventual GM of the club, You can't say it's a terrible choice. His AGM work there is a big reason for their recent success.

but yeah. Back to the Bills GM hire.

Definitely seems like it's a continuity thing with McDermott. But by all accounts Beane has done a solid job in Carolina. I don't see national media screaming "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!" so there's that.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm not going to openly complain but jeez, it's like we will go after anyone even remotely linked to McDermott from his Carolina days....Tolbert, Philly brown now this guy.

Would have preferred a fresh voice but if McDermott endorses it I guess that's that then. McDermott has to be successful for the amount of power and authority he's been given its kind of crazy when you consider he's a rookie head coach and getting this much pull.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not going to openly complain but jeez, it's like we will go after anyone even remotely linked to McDermott from his Carolina days....Tolbert, Philly brown now this guy.

Would have preferred a fresh voice but if McDermott endorses it I guess that's that then. McDermott has to be successful for the amount of power and authority he's been given its kind of crazy when you consider he's a rookie head coach and getting this much pull.

of course it is, it's ridiculous, the Pegulas have given a guy who's never coached a game in the NFL as a head coach the power and control that only coaches who've had major success get.

but like I said, they may get lucky and McDermott turns out to be a very good coach. it won't be because the Pegulas were visionaries.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
of course it is, it's ridiculous, the Pegulas have given a guy who's never coached a game in the NFL as a head coach the power and control that only coaches who've had major success get.

Kyle Shanahan is a rookie coach and his relationship with John Lynch (who has no front office experience at all) looks similar. Chip Kelly had final say over the Eagles roster from the moment he was hired, and became the titled head of football operations after two seasons as coach (and a division title).

Now, obviously, that's not to say that the 49ers and Eagles are exactly model franchises, but it's not like the Pegulas are doing anything unprecedented.

Beyond that, of course, we have no idea what the actual power structure is going forward.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Kyle Shanahan is a rookie coach and his relationship with John Lynch (who has no front office experience at all) looks similar. Chip Kelly had final say over the Eagles roster from the moment he was hired, and became the titled head of football operations after two seasons as coach (and a division title).

Now, obviously, that's not to say that the 49ers and Eagles are exactly model franchises, but it's not like the Pegulas are doing anything unprecedented.

Beyond that, of course, we have no idea what the actual power structure is going forward.

Broncos did the same thing with Josh McDaniels. And that was a disaster.

What's interesting is both Beane and Botterill are more from the business side (cap, contracts, etc.). They're not known for scouting and player evaluation--in stark contrast to Whaley and Murray. Could just be coincidence, or could be the Pegulas intentionally looking for more of a manager type.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Adam Gase in Miami has a lot of power.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

On players I heavily disagree. Every new coach brings in depth guys from his previous job, and it is extremely common. Plus, Tolbert and Philly Brown can have actual value and were good pickups. A coach bringing over some good depth guys is fair and common. Plus, we have gotten players not associated with him in anyway. So its really just knocking him for bringing some depth guys, which again is super common.

Beane is much more fair criticism (though I disagree)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Given what the Pegulas wanted, this hire makes sense.

They just have to hope that in hiring McDermott, they picked the next really good to great NFL head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad