Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2017 Offseason: Brandon Beane named GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
All NFL coaches today have more power than before and they hire lots of people they're comfortable with for continuity.

I don't like it, either... but, it is what it is. It's not like Carolina had some model that made them more successful. Other than draft Cam Newton and hope he stays healthy and really good.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I will say this, I'm pleased with the youth movement Pegulas teams are going with at GM. I know Whaley was a young guy too but he was here before Pegula bought the team.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-nfl-peter-king

The Bills Begin ... Again

Buffalo hasn’t fielded a playoff team in 17 years, and its new braintrust has a plan to get back. Here’s how a book played a role in recruiting the new regime.

Since the 2000 season, which started the Buffalo Bills’ current 17-season playoff drought, eight coaches and six general managers have failed to make the franchise great again. Sean McDermott will be the ninth coach to try. Brandon Beane will be the seventh GM/personnel czar to try. On Friday, via conference call from Buffalo, the new braintrust of the Bills—so ordained by owners Terry and Kim Pegula this offseason—addressed the drought, their relationship, the Patriots, their growth in Carolina, and how their similar backgrounds led them to this day.
We’ll share that conversation in a moment, and later in the column we’ll tackle the huge challenge ahead for the NFL’s new officiating leader, remember a two-way pro football legend and reveal the perfect team fit for Colin Kaepernick. But first, the Bills...

MMQB: How did you two meet?

McDermott: We met one of my first days down in Carolina in 2011, and then I started to better understand his background in the league, similar to mine—starting off at one of the lower levels of the organization. I started off as an intern in several departments and worked my way up. It wasn’t always fun or glamorous, but I developed a solid background.

Beane: I had mad respect for him from afar when he was coaching in Philadelphia, and so, you always have your pictures of who these people are, and when Sean came into the building, he was so humble and hardworking. I researched him and just it’s amazing how mirrored our backgrounds were to get to the positions that we are in today. We had great conversations. I would go back into his office and he had the depth chart of the defense up. We would talk about the strengths of the defense, the weaknesses. Sometimes he’d tell me stuff that I didn’t know. Hey, this player, he’s a pain in the butt in the meeting room.

There is a lot more to the conversation...

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Pegulas look like they finally understand what it takes to build a winner. Strong front offices.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
All NFL coaches today have more power than before and they hire lots of people they're comfortable with for continuity.

I don't like it, either... but, it is what it is. It's not like Carolina had some model that made them more successful. Other than draft Cam Newton and hope he stays healthy and really good.

Beane might be good but his resume is underwhelming. Looks like he was hired because he knows McDermott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad