Buff Hearing Tuesday

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Buff definitely moves his body towards Gallagher. Gallagher is leaning forward, yes. But Buff moves to his right just before contact. It looks to me like he is leaning in preparation for contact. Happens 40 times a game. When you are going to be hit, you lean into it a bit.

Why the flying elbow into the air ( not Gallagher's head ) at the end, I don't know.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Ehlers was hit that way and sent spiralling like a boomerang, I think we'd need some paddles!

If Buff gets suspended, I'm looking forward to seeing how troubs and Meyers do with the extra ice time, and seeing postma too.

Be careful what you wish for because right now he is the ONLY defenseman that is creating any kind of offence !!

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Buff is definitely trying to hit him, there's no doubt about it. He sees Gallagher coming and figures that he might as well initiate contact rather than let Gallagher hit him and what we see is the result of Big vs. Small.

Frankly, I think Gallagher was doing a bit of a fly-by to knock the puck off Buff's stick and past him, then maybe to collect it on the other side in the Jets end. That's really the only way I can rationalize why Gallagher is skating that hard towards Dustin freaking Byfuglien.

I don't think it's a suspendable offence. Gallagher leans himself right into Buff to try to stretch out and knock that puck away and Buff would literally have to move to avoid contact. What we see is Buff being Buff and not shying away from contact OR a chance to annihilate a guy.

Doesn't help that Gallagher is Gallagher and puts a little extra garlic on the dismount.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
Bringing up the fact that he has been warned about previous plays this year and expecting it influence this incident is like expecting a police officer to take someone's licence away for a parking violation after they received previous warnings for speeding.

The elbow movement was very Scott Stevens esque in that he used it to propel the body away after the hit.

Someone on the main board thread compared this to the Chara on Patches hit, saying it was another Big on Small crime. Not similar in the least.

Canadiens fans are a touchy bunch aren't they?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Buff is definitely trying to hit him, there's no doubt about it. He sees Gallagher coming and figures that he might as well initiate contact rather than let Gallagher hit him and what we see is the result of Big vs. Small.

Frankly, I think Gallagher was doing a bit of a fly-by to knock the puck off Buff's stick and past him, then maybe to collect it on the other side in the Jets end. That's really the only way I can rationalize why Gallagher is skating that hard towards Dustin freaking Byfuglien.

I don't think it's a suspendable offence. Gallagher leans himself right into Buff to try to stretch out and knock that puck away and Buff would literally have to move to avoid contact. What we see is Buff being Buff and not shying away from contact OR a chance to annihilate a guy.

Doesn't help that Gallagher is Gallagher and puts a little extra garlic on the dismount.

Completely agree.

Also, Gallagher was specifically trying to initiate something because he knew he was getting a penalty for chopping Enstrom in the neck with his stick.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great news. Now if we can teach Buff to keep his arms down after hits. Even though he never touched Gallagher with his flying elbow, his arm is bigger than Gallagher's legs. When it starts moving up in the air, just the sight of it flying high is an automatic phone call from player safety, even if there is no one else within 100 ft.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
After browsing the main boards thread, I need to know how one of the dirtiest players in the league, who threw one of the dirtiest hits ever seen, did not get suspended. :sarcasm:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Happens often in soccer games. Players will receive cautions through the game due to persistent fouling rather than the specific incident that got them the card. If he gets a game or two it will likely be due to repeated warnings rather than this hit itself.

Yep, not this hit so much as a accumulation of questionable hits. This hit was for instance a lot cleaner than his rub out of Pominville a few days ago -- the call may be more related to that play happening just a few days ago than this specific hit.

Anyways, not too alarmed either way. We are getting quite a few smaller skilled guys on out team (Ehlers, Petan, Perrault), so as long as the NHL affords us the same protection on our smaller players (yea right!!), then I'm fine with a call/warning on this one.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I'll make some bold prediction here and say that he will get suspended at some point this season.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
After browsing the main boards thread, I need to know how one of the dirtiest players in the league, who threw one of the dirtiest hits ever seen, did not get suspended. :sarcasm:

This thread is about Buff. Stop talking about Gallagher (your bolded) here please. :sarcasm:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'll make some bold prediction here and say that he will get suspended at some point this season.

He was supposed to be suspended 2 times in the last week, and was not.

We'll see...

Troubaloobaloop

Jul 17, 2014
Vancouver
I had such a fun time browsing the main board thread over this hit. You'd think that the NHL needs to ban all forms of contact according some of the other posts.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I had such a fun time browsing the main board thread over this hit. You'd think that the NHL needs to ban all forms of contact according some of the other posts.

pls

this is a general hockey forum
there are fans of eastern conference teams posting

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

I believe he has been suspended once in his 9 year NHL career (last year's cross-check to JT Miller). Odds are that he probably will not be, but I guess we won't know until the season is over or he gets another hearing from DOPS.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Until such time, here's a Buff dance:

dustin-byfuglien.gif

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad