Buff Hearing Tuesday

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Boy is there ever some venom being spewed towards the big guy on the main boards. Some people, really, really, really hate Buff. And you you know what I kinda like it. He's had a couple of questionable moments but only one real bad one IMO (the 4 game suspension/cross-check). Actually he does alot of little dirty things in the game...face washes, little punches when the ref isn't looking, antagonizes opponents. So it's understandable he is not liked but some are so over the top when it comes to hating him that gets similar comments like a Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Zac Rinaldo get and even though it doesn't really bother me...it's just that it's kind of interesting.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting. From what I saw in the replays I didn't see the head as a primary contact point but we shall see. maybe things changed for a buff after the cross check and he is now a guy the league will have on a tighter leash? he is a violent hitter at times but I don't remember many guys being injured by him other than Luke in Edmonton?

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I hope he doesn't get a suspension for this hit. I don't want watered down hockey. Maybe Gallagher should get a call for the high stick.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I didn't watch the game, but I've watched the clip of this hit several times. As with others, I don't see how this is even a penalty let alone a suspension. If anything, it looks like Gallagher surges into Buff.

Suspension for being big.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
As I said in another thread; If Buff is going to be getting these calls and suspensions because of his size and style of play, it's because of the direction that the league is headed.

If this is the case, it's probably time to trade Buff, because pretty soon he won't be able to play his game. The league is making him obsolete. He is going to second guess every hit and be overly cautious around smaller guys.

There is no way that should be a penalty, let alone anything else, but it's Buff.

It makes me kind of sad to say it, but trade Buff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What kind of nonsense is this? If they suspend him will they refer to how many telephone calls they've had him that weren't actually hearings? How is that a suitable approach to formal discipline? If he does something that is illegal, give him a hearing and suspend him. If not, move on.

If Gallagher wants to play a reckless game around Buff and other physical players, he's going to get rocked on occasion, especially if he skates with his head down/forward into contact.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
This is ****ing ridiculous. I don't even see how it was a penalty, never mind warrants a hearing with the NHL. His elbow couldn't have been more tucked than it was. Buff makes contact with the head, but he also makes contact with the chest and shoulder of Gallagher at the same time.

**** the NHL man.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This is horsepoop. I watched a super slowmo gif of this hit. Buff's right shoulder makes contact with Diveboy's right shoulder. His head hits buff between the shoulders. The fact that there's even a hearing is pretty screwed up. I'm not sure how I'd express my outrage if there was any kind of disciplinary outcome.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So I guess they're going to stick it to him whether he deserves it or not. The Blueprint is being set for having open ice hitting completely removed from the game. And it sucks.

Exactly, watering down the game for the hockey moms and the PC era.

Free bubble wrap for everyone!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What kind of nonsense is this? If they suspend him will they refer to how many telephone calls they've had him that weren't actually hearings? How is that a suitable approach to formal discipline? If he does something that is illegal, give him a hearing and suspend him. If not, move on.

If Gallagher wants to play a reckless game around Buff and other physical players, he's going to get rocked on occasion, especially if he skates with his head down/forward into contact.

Happens often in soccer games. Players will receive cautions through the game due to persistent fouling rather than the specific incident that got them the card. If he gets a game or two it will likely be due to repeated warnings rather than this hit itself.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
lets not kid ourselves, he makes contact with his head. HOWEVER, this was only after he initially made contact with the body (elbow initially tucked). No malicious elbowing intent here. The only issue I have is how the puck wasn't there (interference). Does it warrant a penalty? Yes, absolutely. Suspension? Because of history MAYBE one. If Blake Wheeler did that is there a suspension? nope.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
lets not kid ourselves, he makes contact with his head. HOWEVER, this was only after he initially made contact with the body (elbow initially tucked). No malicious elbowing intent here. The only issue I have is how the puck wasn't there (interference). Does it warrant a penalty? Yes, absolutely. Suspension? Because of history MAYBE one. If Blake Wheeler did that is there a suspension? nope.

if subban did it to ehlers it would be highlight of the night and praised.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

But the puck was there as Buff just played it. I'm going to have to review the rule book about interference cause I didn't even see interference on the play. The ref called it elbowing because Buff's elbow came up for some reason after the fact and I could see the ref mistakenly thinking that Buff caught him with the elbow. Turns out as we can see from the replay his elbow was tucked when he hit Gallagher.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
As I said in another thread; If Buff is going to be getting these calls and suspensions because of his size and style of play, it's because of the direction that the league is headed.

If this is the case, it's probably time to trade Buff, because pretty soon he won't be able to play his game. The league is making him obsolete. He is going to second guess every hit and be overly cautious around smaller guys.

There is no way that should be a penalty, let alone anything else, but it's Buff.

It makes me kind of sad to say it, but trade Buff.

If this is the case, it's going to be time for me to stop watching NHL hockey soon. If I wanted to watch a non-contact sport I'd watch soccer.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

After watching it 50 times its hard for me to even agree that Byfuglien is the initiator of contact. Two guys going for the puck. Byfuglien stays well within his body, Gallagher launches into him.

Shouldn't even be 2 minutes let alone a suspension. I can understand the 2 minute penalty because that official has to make the call in real time. I hope if they suspend or fine him they release one of those videos with a ********* justification.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If this is a suspension, they may as ****ing ban hitting altogether. :help:

It's becoming a bit of a joke. This is hockey. Not tiddlywinks.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
With the hearing being at 9am I figured we would have heard the verdict by now? :dunno:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I don't see how they could suspend him.

It's a loose puck, Buff plays the puck first and then continues in a straight line. It's up to Gallagher to avoid the contact. It's not interference, it's not elbowing, the primary point of contact wasn't the head, Gallagher moves at the last second lunging into Buff.

I'm hoping they had the hearing just so they could do a video for why they aren't suspending him on this hit. If you go down the checklist of things they look for in other videos none of the elements are there.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As another poster said , we must trade Buff right away because if Buff can't be physical he isn't Buff !! This is such a joke , if it's any other team , maybe the Leafs , this is not going to be any discipline ... NONE !!! But i bet he gets 2 or 3 games ... WHAT A JOKE !!!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't see how they could suspend him.

It's a loose puck, Buff plays the puck first and then continues in a straight line. It's up to Gallagher to avoid the contact. It's not interference, it's not elbowing, the primary point of contact wasn't the head, Gallagher moves at the last second lunging into Buff.

I'm hoping they had the hearing just so they could do a video for why they aren't suspending him on this hit. If you go down the checklist of things they look for in other videos none of the elements are there.

He's going to get suspended. They wouldn't hold a hearing otherwise, they would just give him another call and scold him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad