Buff Hearing Tuesday

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The thing about the hit when it happened was that I don't recall Gallagher actually touching the puck. I remember Buff swatting the puck away, and then leaning over a bit while Gallagher was I guess trying to get to the puck. But I don't recall Gallagher actually playing the puck first.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The thing about the hit when it happened was that I don't recall Gallagher actually touching the puck. I remember Buff swatting the puck away, and then leaning over a bit while Gallagher was I guess trying to get to the puck. But I don't recall Gallagher actually playing the puck first.

That doesn't matter. If you're the puck carrier, you're allowed to hit guys. It's the "reverse hit" that Lindros was famous for. Ovechkin in his prime did that a lot too. You also see hits when both players are about to reach a loose puck all the time. It's a commonly accepted part of the game. There's no chance in hell anyone seriously considers that interference.

It's being looked at purely for the contact to the head.

Derfel*

No injury. Initial contact was to the chest. Puck was in play.

No penalty, nevermind no suspension.

But he'll get 5 games, because NHLPS.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this an in-person hearing or a telephone hearing? I'm assuming this is a telephone hearing as nothing there warrants a large suspension.

Thought the play should have been an interference call and nothing more. Didn't see any contact to the head. Looked like Byfuglien was going for the puck and shrugged Gallagher off of him. End result looked like a huge hit.

IMO, there is only a hearing because it was a 5-1 game and the league thinks that the Jets were headhunting.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
What a joke.

Perfect storm of loving to suspend Byfuglien and loving to suspend over hits on Habs.

Nice hit Buff. Shake it off.

[Edit: How about Alexei 'I can't fight after I do something dirty anyway' Emelin extra-cleanly throwing Ladd to the ice from behind immediately afterward?

Department of Pieces of ****.]

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
No injury. Initial contact was to the chest. Puck was in play.

No penalty, nevermind no suspension.

Standards change when original 6 teams, particularly Montreal. They get to do more, you get to do less.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
too bad they don't come to wpg until march 5th could have some real creative fun. maybe four people in a row sitting near the glass could have score cards and grade gally everytime he takes a dive lol.

I kid I kid.

solid hit, should not be a suspension for being big.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
If Ehlers was hit that way and sent spiralling like a boomerang, I think we'd need some paddles!

If Buff gets suspended, I'm looking forward to seeing how troubs and Meyers do with the extra ice time, and seeing postma too.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
When you slow down that one 27 second video at 18-19 seconds, you can see Gallagher launch himself into Byfuglien. Unfortunately, at his height that means he put his face right into Byfuglien's shoulder. If Gallagher doesn't launch, it's a solid collision but both guys stay on their skates. Gallagher launches and does the helicopter crap to make it look ridiculous.

Thesis

Mar 4, 2015
Even the announcers agreed after being able to re watch the hit that it was clean and, if anything, was an interference call.

I honestly thought it was sort of exaggerated by the little one. He got up so quickly after getting "rekt" by a hit worth a hearing about.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think the league might be worried it's more predatory than anything.

The way I see it is that there wasn't an easy play to make at that juncture. It was a close puck race with Buff moving East -west towards the boards to get to the puck and Gallager moving north south towards our net to get the puck.

If Buff is late Gallager is in for a break away.

If Buff just gets the puck and tries to pivot around Gallager (avoiding contact) he runs the risk of having Gallager knock the puck off his stick and going in on a breakaway.

He elected to play the puck and simultaneously negate the threat of Gallager having a chance of getting the puck. It imo was the least risky play for Buff to make in the situation.

With regards to the hit itself, it didn't look that bad to me but obviously the league has some issues with it. If he is suspended I look forward to seeing what it was that they saw.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Absolute joke that this is getting looked at. Shouldn't have even been a penalty. Buff played the puck first and the two players were fighting for the same puck and Buff saw his chance to lay some punishment on the little weasle that just raked his stick across his teammate's face. So I guess in that sense it was predatory but it was perfectly clean by the NHL's rule book.

I have no idea why he is getting a hearing. The only thing I'm wondering is why Buff's arm came up like that after the fact, maybe they want to find out why he did that, I dunno.

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
Also, Buff has a couple of questionable plays already this year, like taking that guys head into the boards after he was already on all fours.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Exact same hit, lets say it's Subban on Ehler's, would there even be a hearing? Answer; NO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad