Confirmed with Link: [BUF/WSH] Halak'd: Halak & 3rd '15 for Neuvirth & Klesla

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
i cant wait for the slugs fans reaction when Neuvy calls out sick for his first start

And is otherwise on the bench looking perfectly fine

The Dude

Jan 5, 2004
Getting a UFA-to-be for a young, signed netminder? This deal confuses me. And no defenseman.

I am just an unfrozen caveman lawyer, and your salary cap frightens and confuses me, but looking at today's deal and yesterday's Erat deal looks a lot like a team focused primarily on clearing cap space for the upcoming season.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Big fat meh on this one.

Positives:
  • Got out of having a $2.5M back-up.
  • Relatively low cost
  • Improved NHL-level goaltending
  • Cleared out an AHL cap hit for Klesla

Negatives:
  • Losing Klesla means 3LD is still going to be John Erskine or Jack Hillen
  • Lose out on chance to deal Neuvirth for more subtantial value to Calgary or Long Island during the off-season
  • 3rd round pick is pretty much a throw away in terms of expected NHL contribution
  • Halak and Holtby are both on expiring contracts. Won't be affordable to keep both (right back to the $2.5M back-up), and promoting Grubauer leads to very questionable depth

Believe Holtby has another year remaining before he's RFA.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I am just an unfrozen caveman lawyer, and your salary cap frightens and confuses me, but looking at today's deal and yesterday's Erat deal looks a lot like a team focused primarily on clearing cap space for the upcoming season.

The team is a little better now... but I am hoping there's some good FA additions with the increased cap room. Me, I'd buy out Laich, too.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Heh, RIP Phil Hartman.

This also looks like a GM thinking the only possible way he can win a playoff series is to have a goalie who can flat it steal it. The only guy who came to mind was Halak.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Sky Kerstein ‏@SkyKerstein 6m
#Caps GMGM Nuevy didn't ask for the trade "Earlier in the season he said he wanted more opportunities." added he wasn't comfortable being #2

That's about as close as you can get to asking for a trade without actually asking for one.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON

I hope this comes with George McPhee being fired in the summer

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
#Caps GMGM Nuevy didn't ask for the trade "Earlier in the season he said he wanted more opportunities." added he wasn't comfortable being #2

That's about as close as you can get to asking for a trade without actually asking for one.

GMGM is playing word games. Maybe Neuvy didn't ask him specifically "will you trade me", but his dissatisfaction with his situation had been known for years and there was this from December:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...chal-neuvirth-latest-capital-to-ask-for-trade

Neuvirth's agent Patrik Stefan spoke with Adam Vingan of NBC Washington and he made it pretty clear he wants Neuvirth out of DC.

"Let me just put it this way," Stefan said in a phone interview on Monday morning when asked if Neuvirth has formally requested a trade. "I want Michal out of Washington."

"Well obviously right now, they have three goalies up with the big club," Stefan said. "He's been sitting in the stands for the past week or so. ... I'm hoping and I'd like and want Michal out of there. It obviously doesn't seem like he's getting a chance to play and sitting in the stands doesn't do anything good for the club and obviously Michal. He still has the potential to be a No. 1 guy in the NHL."

So yeah, close enough, George.

Liberati0n*

Neuvirth's value must have been pretty high to return Halak, a pick, and the taking on of Klesla. Another factor is Buffalo maybe not having another serious taker for Halak though.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Neuvirth's value must have been pretty high to return Halak, a pick, and the taking on of Klesla. Another factor is Buffalo maybe not having another serious taker for Halak though.

Agreed; I couldn't believe the return for Neuvirth (though I would have preferred a LD).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Believe Holtby has another year remaining before he's RFA.
You are correct. I remembered it was a two year deal that he signed last year, but forgot that it didn't actually take effect until this season.

Well, he could be asking for Holtby to be traded. :sarcasm:

Given his play I would imagine that's Grubauers job to lose.
If we head into next season with Holtby (or Halak) as the starter and Grubauer as the back-up, I want Leggio retained AND another NHL/AHL tweener goaltender added. We need depth not only for Hershey, but in case of injuries. Not comfortable with the thought of being one injury away from a nobody as a full-time back-up.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If we head into next season with Holtby (or Halak) as the starter and Grubauer as the back-up, I want Leggio retained AND another NHL/AHL tweener goaltender added. We need depth not only for Hershey, but in case of injuries. Not comfortable with the thought of being one injury away from a nobody as a full-time back-up.

I'd rather have Grubauer as full-time starter in Hershey and Leggio up as the backup. If Holtby goes down, Grubauer comes up and starts (Leggio still backup) unless Leggio plays his way into a bigger role.

It doesn't leave Hershey with much, but it shouldn't be too difficult to pick up a quality AHL guy or two.

Halpysback*

I knew getting a veteran defensive D was too good to be true :laugh:

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
GMGM is playing word games. Maybe Neuvy didn't ask him specifically "will you trade me", but his dissatisfaction with his situation had been known for years and there was this from December:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...chal-neuvirth-latest-capital-to-ask-for-trade

Neuvirth's agent Patrik Stefan spoke with Adam Vingan of NBC Washington and he made it pretty clear he wants Neuvirth out of DC.

"Let me just put it this way," Stefan said in a phone interview on Monday morning when asked if Neuvirth has formally requested a trade. "I want Michal out of Washington."

"Well obviously right now, they have three goalies up with the big club," Stefan said. "He's been sitting in the stands for the past week or so. ... I'm hoping and I'd like and want Michal out of there. It obviously doesn't seem like he's getting a chance to play and sitting in the stands doesn't do anything good for the club and obviously Michal. He still has the potential to be a No. 1 guy in the NHL."

So yeah, close enough, George.

All that says is that his agent wanted a trade. Doesnt indicate anywhere that Neuvy made his feelings known and requested a trade. Its very clear by the statements of "I" in that quote that it was the agent looking for him to move on.

I'm disappointed, I would have rather seen Holtby leave because I still feel that Neuvy is the better goaltender. I

It was pretty obvious he wasnt going to get a chance in Washington though. I wish him luck and I hope Halak can bring some stability to the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad