Confirmed with Link: [BUF/WSH] Halak'd: Halak & 3rd '15 for Neuvirth & Klesla

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington 57m
Halak: "The last 4 days have been crazy. ... I'm glad it's over and now I'm really happy I have a chance 2 make the playoffs." #sabres #Caps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
All that says is that his agent wanted a trade. Doesnt indicate anywhere that Neuvy made his feelings known and requested a trade. Its very clear by the statements of "I" in that quote that it was the agent looking for him to move on.

I'm disappointed, I would have rather seen Holtby leave because I still feel that Neuvy is the better goaltender. I

It was pretty obvious he wasnt going to get a chance in Washington though. I wish him luck and I hope Halak can bring some stability to the position.

You realize a player's agent is often his legal representative in negotiations with the club, right? If anything it may be even more definitive as a statement since some players won't even discuss business moves at all and let their agents/managers handle it all. I also saw nothing from Neuvirth or this agent afterward that contradicted this sentiment, did you?

As for getting a chance, after parts of 6 seasons and 134 regular season games with multiple trips to IR and never really seizing the #1 spot for good, I'm OK with letting him see how much more of a chance someone else is willing to give him.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 43s
Halak’s agent Allan Walsh: “He’s put some very good goalies on the bench like Carey Price...Jaro is looking to play that same way again.”

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
You realize a player's agent is often his legal representative in negotiations with the club, right? If anything it may be even more definitive as a statement since some players won't even discuss business moves at all and let their agents/managers handle it all. I also saw nothing from Neuvirth or this agent afterward that contradicted this sentiment, did you?

I dont know what you're trying to say. Of course the agent is the representative for all negotiations and business regarding the club.

What I didnt hear was the agent saying that Neuvy has requested a trade, as they'll often say to the press. What I see is when the agent is specifically asked if Neuvy asked for a trade, the agent said "I want him out of here."

Whether that is him protecting Neuvy or not, I dont know. But it is entirely possible Neuvy complained to his agent about not playing and said something like "I wish I was out of here" and the agent going to GMGM requesting the trade.

And when GMGM says that Neuvy never asked him, that has the potential to be the truth and isnt necessarily word games.

Whatever, doesnt matter. Hope he does well elsewhere. I thought he proved himself here on several occasions only to be lifted or benched by several coaches. I think he got kind of a raw deal here in DC.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I like this deal, as the only way to make Neuvy happy was hand him the starting job over both grubs and holtby. When you look at the 3 deals we made I think we came out better, although never dealt with the real elephant in the room.

Lost: Erat/Nuevy/Mitchell

Gained: Penner/Halak/Brown/high 3rd

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'd laugh (in a sad way) if Neuvy started playing a lot better now that he's gone, kinda like how Varly blossomed.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
wouldn't be surprise me at all.

Me either. Given his circumstances (rarely ever playing when healthy, frequently hurt/sick... in general, getting like one game a month) he played very well.

EVERY goalie plays better with a consistent work load. He hasn't gotten that in years. He deserved solid playing time this year and never got it. Hope he reaches his potential in Buffalo, but with their ****** team, I'm not holding my breath too long.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Not even the amazing halak can save a defensive contingent that isn't a defense. Come on George! Should have picked up McDonald. Imagine going against Pittsburgh or Boston with that D. That's just outright shameful and it's going to be nasty.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Me either. Given his circumstances (rarely ever playing when healthy, frequently hurt/sick... in general, getting like one game a month) he played very well.

EVERY goalie plays better with a consistent work load. He hasn't gotten that in years. He deserved solid playing time this year and never got it. Hope he reaches his potential in Buffalo, but with their ****** team, I'm not holding my breath too long.

I would have rather had Neuvy than Holtby, but Neuvy is to blame for his inconsistent work load. He was always injured.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The last time I remember Neuvy playing, he was playing well, got sick before his next start, and lost his chance at stealing the starting job.

He needs to learn to play through whatever kept costing himself starts.

What was it, upset stomach, headaches, bloating?

It was a real head scratcher and has gone on for 2 seasons it seems.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Halak over Neuvirth is an easy upgrade, but I guess we're not going to decide who's our #1 one more year.

And yeah, who cares, we still don't have a playoff caliber defense. Even declined Klesla would be a 3rd pairing upgrade. Oh well, at least he's not in the minors, doing nothing and eating cap hit.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Its his own fault he didn't get a consistent work load here. Every time they tried to turn to him he was coming up "sick". And I mean literally every time it looked like he had a shot to win the job for a bit, he'd come up with something.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
Am I the only one who feels weird thinking Halak is our goalie. Just reading that he's on the Caps now just brings memories of 2010 back. Weird haaha but really hopefully he can play like the way he did in 2010 against us. That would be big. Assume he starts tomorrow?

ShootFromTheHip

Jan 7, 2014
Coming from a Blues fan, he makes the unbelievable save but lets in easy goals.

So that leaves us with two Holtbys then :sarcasm:

Honestly, I'm pretty satisfied with these trades but the only thing we really needed was defense and GMGM got us everything else... :shakehead

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
If we got MacDonald for a 3rd as well then I would consider GMGM to have absolutely bossed it, as it stands I'm still pretty happy.

What do you guys think it would take to sign Halak for another year or two? surely GMGM doesn't just want him as a quick fix, him and Holtby could be a big goalie duel next season, if they both play well it could be great for the Caps.

All we need now is to sign MacD in free agency!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad