Confirmed with Link: BUF/WPG Myers+Stafford+Armia+Lemieux+Low 1st for Kane+Bogo+Kasdorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

in layman's terms ... "Harder to play against". See Patrick Kanes comments.

Meh. I guess he would know better but I do think he's a downgrade on Myers. Myers is pretty damn tough to play against

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
in layman's terms ... "Harder to play against". See Patrick Kanes comments.

I think that's Murray justifying the deal. I don't think he would have done Myers for Bogo straight up without the Kane piece. I think Chevy wanted Myers because he thinks he has a higher ceiling and because it saves them $6M in real dollars that he can use on other players. Murray didn't care enough about Myers to let it get in the way of the Kane deal.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm aware of that, I don't understand what he likes more about Bogo.

Ehh not sure about that. Most in the media seem to breakdown the trade like this:

Stafford, 1st, Armia and Lemieux for Kane
Myers for Bogosian

I really wish we kept Myers..

I wouldn't think too much of what the media says, since most of them still think Myers is the player he was two years ago. Think about it yourself. Remove Myers and Bogo completely. Would you be happy with the above trade for Kane if you were from the Peg? Especially, when you know you could trade a 2nd for a guy like Staff to replace Kane right now, and then have the whole league compete for him at the draft. I would be heated.

I liked Myers too, and from Chevy's comments he did too. The difference between him and Bogo balanced out the imbalance of the quantity package for Kane.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think that's Murray justifying the deal. I don't think he would have done Myers for Bogo straight up without the Kane piece. I think Chevy wanted Myers because he thinks he has a higher ceiling and because it saves them $6M in real dollars that he can use on other players. Murray didn't care enough about Myers to let it get in the way of the Kane deal.

Agreed. Though I don't think it wasn't a he didn't care about Myers. Just that he liked Bogo enough to make the trade fair to him. Murray doesn't strike me as the type to give up high end assets lightly.

ZeroPT*

It depends on what you think of Armia and Lemieux. Chevy loves both.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I don't think he's justifying it at all.. I think he truly believes in Bogosian ... not to say he didn't in Myers but I think its fair to say he didn't love Myers quite as much as the people on here did.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I really don't like the Myers bogosian swap. Its still puzzling why that happened and we couldn't just offer what we did for Kane.

Urghhh

From what I get out of it listening to both GMs speak...

It appears that Chevy called Murray asking him to make an offer for Kane. In the discussions, Chevy wanted Myers. If Murray was going to part with Myers, he wanted to get a similar player back to replace Myers, so he asked for Bogosian. Since their value was close, Chevy wanted the rest of his value for Kane. A player, a prospect or 2 and a 1st. He was stuck on Armia and Lemiuex. Murray was willing to part to get what he wanted.

I wondered the same thing until Murray said he couldnt get it done without including Myers. In Murray's mind, I'm sure he views the trade as Myers for Kane, Bogo. The others dont matter to him. He got the more developed player for prospects and picks that he feels can be replaced anyways.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't think too much of what the media says, since most of them still think Myers is the player he was two years ago. Think about it yourself. Remove Myers and Bogo completely. Would you be happy with the above trade for Kane if you were from the Peg? Especially, when you know you could trade a 2nd for a guy like Staff to replace Kane right now, and then have the whole league compete for him at the draft. I would be heated.

I liked Myers too, and from Chevy's comments he did too. The difference between him and Bogo balanced out the imbalance of the quantity package for Kane.

Well in the days leading up the trade, a Stafford/Stewart + Armia/Grigorenko + NYI/STL 1st package was circulated around the trade board, and most Jet fans thought it was a reasonable proposal. So in my mind we overpaid by Lemiuex in order to get it done, which is fine because we have like 10 more guys with roughly the same potential as him.

In the eyes of most Jet fans, this return is larger than what they were hoping for.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I don't know .. I think that's a pretty good score for Kane when the talk was about Kanes value dropping.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

It appears that Chevy called Murray asking him to make an offer for Kane. In the discussions, Chevy wanted Myers. If Murray was going to part with Myers, he wanted to get a similar player back to replace Myers, so he asked for Bogosian. Since their value was close, Chevy wanted the rest of his value for Kane. A player, a prospect or 2 and a 1st. He was stuck on Armia and Lemiuex. Murray was willing to part to get what he wanted.

I wondered the same thing until Murray said he couldnt get it done without including Myers. In Murray's mind, I'm sure he views the trade as Myers for Kane, Bogo. The others dont matter to him. He got the more developed player for prospects and picks that he feels can be replaced anyways.

This is how I see it too.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
This is how I see it too.

I was very negative of the trade immediately. I didnt understand Myers being included. I dont know much of Bogosian so the homer in me views Myers as the better player now because I think I'd rather have Myers dynamic in my top pairing over Bogo's.

But, after letting that settle for a few days, I absolutely view it this way currently.. I was never upset about losing Stafford, Armia, Lemieux or the 1st.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Would you be happy with the above trade for Kane if you were from the Peg? Especially, when you know you could trade a 2nd for a guy like Staff to replace Kane right now, and then have the whole league compete for him at the draft. I would be heated.
It's more than or equal to what Ottawa gave for Ryan. So yes.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Probably some truth here. It's not like the rest of the package was junk pieces, but Armia is the only other thing we gave up that we don't already have more of (we have several prospects of Lemieux's caliber, plenty of picks, and Stafford as a pending UFA is pretty much a non-factor for us). I wish we could've made the deal without Myers, but alas. I'm very happy to have Kane and trying to be optimistic about Bogosian. Maybe he'll thrive with the opportunity to be the guy for the Sabres and finally live up to his draft pedigree?

ZeroPT*

Probably some truth here. It's not like the rest of the package was junk pieces, but Armia is the only other thing we gave up that we don't already have more of (we have several prospects of Lemieux's caliber, plenty of picks, and Stafford as a pending UFA is pretty much a non-factor for us). I wish we could've made the deal without Myers, but alas. I'm very happy to have Kane and trying to be optimistic about Bogosian. Maybe he'll thrive with the opportunity to be the guy for the Sabres and finally live up to his draft pedigree?

If he lives up to his draft pedigree he becomes a top 10 D-man. He was soooo good in junior. A lot of people were putting him up against Doughty and it was a genuine topic of conversation.

I pray to the hockey gods that this happens

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site
Bottom line is that the Sabres can have only 50 hockey contacts. TM had to shed numbers. Granted, he could have dumped contracts at the bottom of the prospect list, but the numbers had to be reduced.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Bottom line is that the Sabres can have only 50 hockey contacts. TM had to shed numbers. Granted, he could have dumped contracts at the bottom of the prospect list, but the numbers had to be reduced.

That's not what this trade was about, and that doesn't justify the trade.

We've got a bunch of low-rent players on expiring contracts, such as: Bagnall, D'Amigo, Sundher, Leduc, JST, etc.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well in the days leading up the trade, a Stafford/Stewart + Armia/Grigorenko + NYI/STL 1st package was circulated around the trade board, and most Jet fans thought it was a reasonable proposal. So in my mind we overpaid by Lemiuex in order to get it done, which is fine because we have like 10 more guys with roughly the same potential as him.

In the eyes of most Jet fans, this return is larger than what they were hoping for.

While I'm sure that Jets fans know a lot about Kane as a player, that is a group who also was emotionally involved in a situation that was chaotic and from many accounts as group didn't like the guy a ton. I wouldn't trust them a ton to even know our prospect pool. Also their is a not small difference in value between Grigs and Armia to me. What fan bases think is fair is different than what an objective person who doesn't have any emotional ties to a team or player think. Especially given the time span that happened.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's more than or equal to what Ottawa gave for Ryan. So yes.

I would disagree with that. Silverberg was a guy who had already had success in both Europe, like Armia, but also in the NHL. He came into the league and was just under a .5 ppg as a rookie without playing on their top lines or much pp time. I think you could argue Silverberg at that time was a better piece than anyone not named Myers in this deal.

Then you have Noesen who was basically a higher drafted Lemieux a big goal scoring winger, tho he had better assists numbers in the O than Lemieux, while still racking up a lot of pims.

And then you had a 1st that at the time probably wasn't expected to be, the what 10th pick, but it was hardly expected to be 25th to 30th like St. L/Isles pick will be, whichever goes farther.

So basically, considering the players and picks at the time, forget how anaheim got a bonus that the pick ended up 10th overall, Anaheim got a better close to the NHL prospect Silverberg vs Armia, they got a closer to the NHL arguably better version of Lemieux in Noesen, who at the time was a much more likely sure thing objectively than Lemieux. And they got a better pick.

So unless Stafford and his second round value as a ufa is what tips the long term scales for you, we gave up much less in the quantity deal than Ottawa did.

A better argument could be that you think Ryan is a superior player, though that would be debateable considering Kane's all around game and Ryan's deficiencies, plus better supporting cast while he played in Anaheim. But to say we gave a better deal for Kane than Ottawa did for Ryan, based on the knowledge at the time, seems very wrong to me.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

I know it's been a game and not even a period but is it me or does Myers look a little nervous?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I know it's been a game and not even a period but is it me or does Myers look a little nervous?

Looking pretty good this period. 1st point as a Jet. Primary assist after picking off the puck in the neutral zone and driving straight to the net.

E: And Stafford gets his 1st goal as a Jet too.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We got a player drafted #3 and #4 overall that are still 23 or younger. The upside of these guys is enormous, especially Kane. I'm still so torn about the deal, but think that we just got a #1 winger and a #2 physical D man for Myers, a UFA, a really late first rounder, a player that didn't want to sign here, and Armia whose been in the system for awhile now and still has not proven much of anything. I want to see what Kane can do with a franchise center with Reinhart or McEichel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille