GDT: BUF @ WIN 8pm TV:MSG, NHL Network Radio:WGR - Guess who's back...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I've seen a couple of people mention this - they played a quality road period in the first. They were the team that had more zone time and better pressure in the 2nd and almost all of it in the third. This isn't a partial game.
Respectfully disagree on that review of the game.

That was not a quality road 1st period. That was bad hockey with one decent shift from the Jost line having the best chance at about 4 mins into the game. That was a “we got out of there doing next to nothing” 1st period, which usually is the standard level of play one is to expect to hear from listening to Sabres hockey.

The 2nd was better hockey but I felt Winnipeg had the better chances. I felt Buffalo wasted a lot of their possession with low danger chances and too many passes to get a clean angle instead of throwing it and creating chances on a goalie that wasn’t focused. It’s one thing to have possession, its another to make something of it. Buffalo having possession, IMO, should be long past the moral victory of having the puck longer. If you’re not doing much with it, you are just pissing away time and opportunity.

3rd period, Buffalo simply outplayed Winnipeg all period.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Was Kyle Okposo out on the PP in the 3rd period? I mean intangibles and locker room presence only take you so far. You also have to be able to play hockey.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I thought Greenway/Krebs/Olofsson looked like the makings of a legitimate 3rd line. If they can be that, it should diminish the minutes that Girgs/Jost/Okposo play and hopefully make them more effective.

Tough to lose again. Not feeling any moral victory vibes. I did think we played a good road game though, less a 6-7 minute stretch in the 2nd.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Perhaps we were the better team

But several of our wins have come when we were the worse team this year.

Our record might be….reflective of where we are sadly

Reactions: MOGlLNY and BFLO

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Donnie ain’t it I fear. He’d be a good developmental coach but not a winning tactician.

He had no NHL HC experience. He had 4 years of NHL AC experience and none of those teams made the playoffs.

Then we hire Marty Wilford, Jason Christie, and Matt Ellis.

Wilford is the only one with any NHL coaching experience. He had three years of being an AC and had a losing record every year.

Christie zero NHL experience.

Ellis zero NHL coaching experience.

Their entire staff has 0 coaching experience in the NHL playoffs.

Adams hiring of Donnie was red flag number one he shouldn’t have been in the position.

We desperately need a Boudreau or Quenneville or someone who has done it consistently.

For perspective, Boudreau missed the playoffs twice in 15 years across multiple organizations. Our young team needs an experienced winner.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Donnie ain’t it I fear. He’d be a good developmental coach but not a winning tactician.

He had no NHL HC experience. He had 4 years of NHL AC experience and none of those teams made the playoffs.

Then we hire Marty Wilford, Jason Christie, and Matt Ellis.

Wilford is the only one with any NHL coaching experience. He had three years of being an AC and had a losing record every year.

Christie zero NHL experience.

Ellis zero NHL coaching experience.

Their entire staff has 0 coaching experience in the NHL playoffs.

Adams hiring of Donnie was red flag number one he shouldn’t have been in the position.

We desperately need a Boudreau or Quenneville or someone who has done it consistently.

For perspective, Boudreau missed the playoffs twice in 15 years across multiple organizations. Our young team needs an experienced winner.
I agree with a lot here especially his staff, but Granato has to get credit for developing these guys well.

The ancillary pieces are what’s killing us most nights. Don was the perfect guy for what we needed, we no longer need him.

Reactions: SabresFan26

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I agree with a lot here especially his staff, but Granato has to get credit for developing these guys well.

The ancillary pieces are what’s killing us most nights. Don was the perfect guy for what we needed, we no longer need him.
Exactly. Which I did say he’s a good developmental guy and would be a good assistant.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You(and Sabres fans) are so accustomed to Sabres sucking, that your whole world would collapse seeing Kulich killing it.
Kulich looked awful in preseason playing against teams only half full with NHL players. I don’t think he won a single puck battle, he’d get eaten alive in the NHL.

He feasts on easy points in the AHL, I’d prefer to trade him while he still has a lot of value. I’m also fine with a call up because this team sucks anyway, but he will not move the needle.

Reactions: dortt

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Kulich looked awful in preseason playing against teams only half full with NHL players. I don’t think he won a single puck battle, he’d get eaten alive in the NHL.

He feasts on easy points in the AHL, I’d prefer to trade him while he still has a lot of value. I’m also fine with a call up because this team sucks anyway, but he will not move the needle.
He may struggle if called up, but he hardly feasts on easy points in the AHL. For a sizable portion of the season their lineup has been decimated by injuries/call ups at forward. Kulich‘s line has been it for them and gets the corresponding attention from other teams.

Last edited:

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
He may struggle if called up, but he hardly feasts on easy points in the AHL. For a sizable portion of the season their lineup has been decimated by injuries/call ups at forward. Kulich‘s line has been it for them and gets the corresponding attention from other teams.
People still think Kulich is a PP merchant. He’s evolved way past that. He stands out every game I’ve watched.

Reactions: joshjull

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Refs are essentially rural Georgia sheriffs, "boy you gonna do some time messin round in our town" while their deputies are throwing elbows all over the honky-tonk bar. Niederreiter was the FOURTH Jet into the scrum throwing punches over the top of the the already-3-on-1 going on and popping the helmet off even. Indefensible, but totally NHL.

Combined with the Peterka and Samuelsson phantom calls, it's enough to change the outcome. NHL is less trustworthy than elections since they're gotten in bed with Vegas for betting and Stanley Cups.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I feel like we're being gas lit here.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Refs are essentially rural Georgia sheriffs, "boy you gonna do some time messin round in our town" while their deputies are throwing elbows all over the honky-tonk bar. Niederreiter was the FOURTH Jet into the scrum throwing punches over the top of the the already-3-on-1 going on and popping the helmet off even. Indefensible, but totally NHL.

Combined with the Peterka and Samuelsson phantom calls, it's enough to change the outcome. NHL is less trustworthy than elections since they're gotten in bed with Vegas for betting and Stanley Cups.

NHL has been suspect even before gambling. Many of the calls have been worse than AEW referee calls, and AEW is pre determined!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00