Proposal: BUF - TB Trade

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This fallacy is why you're getting so much push back. A 1st and a 2nd is pretty likely to result in an NHL player.

I don't buy that. We had 15 forwards play a game for us last year of those 15 forwards here is the breakdown of when they were drafted.

1st Stamkos and Miller
2nd Erne and Kucherov
3rd Cirelli, Point and Killorn
4th Joseph, Paquette and Callahan
7th Palat
Undrafted Johnson, Gourde, Conacher and Martel

11 were 3rd round or later. Sure our best player was a 2nd round pick but extremely late. Your early 3rd + our late 3rd gets you into the 50's which is where he was picked. So a 3rd does have value if you draft well or trade well. You grabbed Sheary last year for a 3rd. Callahan can also be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick or two if you want to retain. The cost to dump Callahan might not be a 3rd but it won't be a 1st or a top 5 prospect of ours, Barre-Barré-.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
To get Risto and Nylander--- starts with Foote+ Cirreli+ 2020 1st

I think a deal could happen between Buffalo and TB but it wont be this. We wouldnt trade Foote for Karlsson, what makes you think we would do it for Risto?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't buy that. We had 15 forwards play a game for us last year of those 15 forwards here is the breakdown of when they were drafted.

1st Stamkos and Miller
2nd Erne and Kucherov
7th Palat

11 were 3rd round or later. Sure our best player was a 2nd round pick but extremely late. Your early 3rd + our late 3rd gets you into the 50's which is where he was picked. So a 3rd does have value if you draft well or trade well. You grabbed Sheary last year for a 3rd. Callahan can also be flipped at the deadline for an additional pick or two if you want to retain. The cost to dump Callahan might not be a 3rd but it won't be a 1st or a top 5 prospect of ours, Barre-Barré-.

3rds and later being something beyond replacement are lucky picks.

a low 1st-mid 2nd has about a 20% chance of being something beyond a dime a dozen replacement player. about a 50% chance of not being anything beyond a cup of coffee.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think a deal could happen between Buffalo and TB but it wont be this. We wouldnt trade Foote for Karlsson, what makes you think we would do it for Risto?

What makes you think Bufalo would be taking on 3+ yrs of $5M contracts without getting an ELC player or prospect that actually replaces what is getting traded.

If you want Risto a young Dman will have to be coming back.

If Buffalo is going to take on Miller or Johnson then Cirelli comes back. with them

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017

Wouldn’t trade Cirelli alone for that package. Ristolainen really isn’t as good as you seem to think and you are probably going to be massively disappointed with the return if you think that is a fair trade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What makes you think Bufalo would be taking on 3+ yrs of $5M contracts without getting an ELC player or prospect that actually replaces what is getting traded.

If Buffalo is going to take on Miller or Johnson then Cirelli comes back. with them

What? So Johnson and Miller are cap dumps now and we have to trade Cirelli in hopes someone will take them? You adding Mittelstadt for us to take on that dump Risto?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Another GM, Karlsson and Risto's contract term, you never know. Although I might not touch Foote, but Cirelli would be very interesting for Buffalo, and I know Tampa wouldn't want to give him up. But if Tampa were really asking Risto, then our GM would have to ask Cirelli as the bulk of the deal.

Reactions: coastal

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
3rds and later being something beyond replacement are lucky picks.

a low 1st-mid 2nd has about a 20% chance of being something beyond a dime a dozen replacement player. about a 50% chance of not being anything beyond a cup of coffee.

How are they lucky picks? It's called scouting and developing, not our fault you can't do that. Sure the chances are higher on early picks making the NHL but it doesn't make all other picks worthless. The league should just go to two rounds like the NBA in that case.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I never asked for him. Just responding to your comment. If you think what was proposed is not realistic, your proposal is just as unrealistic.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Another GM, Karlsson and Risto's contract term, you never know. Although I might not touch Foote, but Cirelli would be very interesting for Buffalo, and I know Tampa wouldn't want to give him up. But if Tampa were really asking Risto, then our GM would have to ask Cirelli as the bulk of the deal.

That would make more sense than Foote and Cirelli but I still dont see it happening.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018

Miller and Johnson are better than 80% of your forwards. Don't act like you aren't getting significantly better forwards back.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
As good a player as Risto is offensively his deficiencies in his own end of the rink don’t make him the best fit for Tampa and certainly not worth that load. Tampa Would not even take that risk for a better player like Karlsson or Subban

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Yikes, Attempting to straight out rob Buffalo.
Johnson nor Miller aren't worth Risto 1 for 1 let alone an add from Buffalo.
Callahan is useless to the Sabres.
And Nylander plus a 1st and 2nd?

Wow, just wow, that is really really bad.

Risto, if traded, is going to get a sweetheart return. And I doubt Buffalo trades him, 25 yr old RHD on a very friendly cap number for 3 more years? Yea, unless your willing to pony up, Risto isn't the droid your looking for.
Nylander looks to be breaking out to some extent and is only 20/21 yrs old. No reason to move him at all.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
What? So Johnson and Miller are cap dumps now and we have to trade Cirelli in hopes someone will take them? You adding Mittelstadt for us to take on that dump Risto?

They aren't trying to give you Risto. You're asking for him

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Then give an alternative...adding Johnson and Miller to the Sabres lineup would make the Sabres much better.

And Callahan's contract is for one season.

We need centers, our left-side is pretty set with (hopefully) Skinner, Sheary and Olofsson.

I see no problem with Callahan waiving for Buffalo, since he's from Rochester...and he could certainly help talk Johnson into coming.

If we could do it without giving up 30/31 OA, that would be even more ideal.

We, as Sabres fan, overvalue Ristolainen...and I'm not trying to inflate the TB players, I'm a Sabres fan.

I don't want to trade him, but it seems inevitable that he will be traded for forward help...and he's our only trade chip.

How do you figure? We trade a defensemen that is most likely leaving anyways, a prospect that has stalled in his development, and some picks for three useful forwards.

Offer some alternative if you don't like this...that's the point of this forum.

I don't see how Sabres fans wouldn't like this. We lose 40 points in Ristolainen, and gain 130 points in the three forwards. Take out the 1st round pick, if that makes it more fair.

I originally thought it could be Ristolainen for Johnson, and for taking Callahan off Tampa's hands they would send us Miller for a 2020 3rd round pick.

So it would be Ristolainen and a 2020 3rd round pick for Johnson, Miller and Callahan...but that just doesn't seem to be enough, maybe make it a 2nd or add Nylander?
Risto to Toronto for Kadri/Nylander/Kappanen from a leafs fan. Leafs are desperate for a minute munching RHd Ristolainen is criminally underrated he’d be nuts with Muzzin. Not a 1D but a 2D

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

1st Stamkos and Miller
2nd Erne and Kucherov
7th Palat

If you aren't willing to give up anything of real value Buffalo shouldn't be interested and quite frankly no team should be. It's great your team has hit on mid/late round picks, but the majority of the league misses on those picks. Some stupid team/GM might buckle and take Callahan for a middling return. I sure wouldn't bet the farm on that though.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
This is way too complicated.

Tampa has amazing depth and needs to remove salary.
Buffalo has a lot of low-cap assets and needs a top-six forward.

JT Miller for our late first.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad