Proposal: BUF - TB Trade

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
:bolts Receives:
Rasmus Ristolainen, Alex Nylander, 2019 1st (#30/#31), and 2020 2nd.

:sabres Receives:
Tyler Johnson, JT Miller, Ryan Callahan and 2019 4th.

Breakdown:
- Ristolainen and a 2nd for Miller.
- Nylander and a 1st for Johnson.
- Tampa gives Buffalo a 4th to take Callahan's contract off their books.

- Sabres get three new forwards with a winning pedigree.
- Lightning get a top-4 RHD, $10M+ in cap space, and a prospect that could flourish in their system.

Sabres transform their roster...

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Olofsson - Mittelstadt - Johnson
Sheary - Miller - Rodrigues
Okposo - Ruotsalainen - Callahan

Dahlin - UFA (Stralman?)
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Bogosian

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not interested from Buffalo, I wouldn't trade Risto one-on-one for Miller or Johnson, let alone take cap dump in Callahan (I know he might be useful to Buffalo, but his contract...) at the same time we give prospect, the late first and second round. No thanks.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Tampa fan here that would do this. Random thought, would you take Palat instead of Johnson or Miller?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Breakdown:

- Lightning get a top-4 RHD, $10M+ in cap space, and a prospect that could flourish in their system.

Dahlin - UFA (Stralman?)
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Bogosian

Interesting design, though I do wonder at the inclusion of 31OA given the amount of cap relief offered in the trade. It would also mean Johnson and Callahan both waive for Buffalo, which is is maybe possible but seems like it might not be a place they want to land.

It'd be amazing to roll out a $12M 4th line too. That would be interesting.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019

Breakdown:

Dahlin - UFA (Stralman?)
McCabe - Montour
Pilut - Bogosian
Let me make this a lot easier. Callahan to Buffalo for a fourth. Everything else on this thread would be of no interest to either team

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Interesting design, though I do wonder at the inclusion of 31OA given the amount of cap relief offered in the trade. It would also mean Johnson and Callahan both waive for Buffalo, which is is maybe possible but seems like it might not be a place they want to land.

Callahan would probably go. Johnson probably not.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Not interested from Buffalo, I wouldn't trade Risto one-on-one for Miller or Johnson, let alone take cap dump in Callahan (I know he might be useful to Buffalo, but his contract...) at the same time we give prospect, the late first and second round. No thanks.
Then give an alternative...adding Johnson and Miller to the Sabres lineup would make the Sabres much better.

And Callahan's contract is for one season.

Tampa fan here that would do this. Random thought, would you take Palat instead of Johnson or Miller?
We need centers, our left-side is pretty set with (hopefully) Skinner, Sheary and Olofsson.

I see no problem with Callahan waiving for Buffalo, since he's from Rochester...and he could certainly help talk Johnson into coming.

If we could do it without giving up 30/31 OA, that would be even more ideal.

JT Miller is nowhere near being worth RR and a 2nd as your breakdown states.. and winning pedigree is total BS justification to inflate the TB players value
We, as Sabres fan, overvalue Ristolainen...and I'm not trying to inflate the TB players, I'm a Sabres fan.

I don't want to trade him, but it seems inevitable that he will be traded for forward help...and he's our only trade chip.

Oof, that is brutal for Buffalo.
How do you figure? We trade a defensemen that is most likely leaving anyways, a prospect that has stalled in his development, and some picks for three useful forwards.

Offer some alternative if you don't like this...that's the point of this forum.

I don't see how Sabres fans wouldn't like this. We lose 40 points in Ristolainen, and gain 130 points in the three forwards. Take out the 1st round pick, if that makes it more fair.

I originally thought it could be Ristolainen for Johnson, and for taking Callahan off Tampa's hands they would send us Miller for a 2020 3rd round pick.

So it would be Ristolainen and a 2020 3rd round pick for Johnson, Miller and Callahan...but that just doesn't seem to be enough, maybe make it a 2nd or add Nylander?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Callahan would probably go. Johnson probably not.

That was my thought. There have been enough times I've thought Callahan was a minority partner in the Sabres because he seems to own them on the ice.

Ba-dum-ching!

Seriously though, with him being from Rochester, I could see him waiving to be in Buffalo. But yeah, I don't see a reason for Johnson to do so, even if Callahan offers to help him pack.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Let me make this a lot easier. Callahan to Buffalo for a fourth. Everything else on this thread would be of no interest to either team
Given the Sabres need a center and a scoring winger, and Tampa tried to trade for Ristolainen at the deadline...you're wrong.

Both teams would be very interested.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
JT Miller is nowhere near being worth RR and a 2nd as your breakdown states.. and winning pedigree is total BS justification to inflate the TB players value
Your response holds more truth than fiction, especially the JT Miller piece. However I’ve seen Risto play enough to know that despite his offensive talents, his defensive warts at his price don’t solve TB’s problems

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Buffalo isn't helping Tampa and giving them a draft pick...to take Callahan off Tampa's hands, there needs to be more incentive.

That's how these things work.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Your response holds more truth than fiction, especially the JT Miller piece. However I’ve seen Risto play enough to know that despite his offensive talents, his defensive warts at his price don’t solve TB’s problems
Put him with a partner like Hedman or McDonaugh and he would be an absolute stud.

His best partner of his career so far has been Marco Scandella. (And I use "best" lightly.)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't think Buffalo is interested in taking on that much cap to help a divisional rival retain some of their best players for an asset. The original idea of swapping some moving parts from both was interesting, though again, solving all of the Bolts cap problems and kicking in the late first and Nylander isn't all that appealing personally, but the idea is something that could ultimately benefit both teams. Callahan alone does not benefit Buffalo.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Then give an alternative...adding Johnson and Miller to the Sabres lineup would make the Sabres much better.

And Callahan's contract is for one season.

We need centers, our left-side is pretty set with (hopefully) Skinner, Sheary and Olofsson.

I see no problem with Callahan waiving for Buffalo, since he's from Rochester...and he could certainly help talk Johnson into coming.

If we could do it without giving up 30/31 OA, that would be even more ideal.

We, as Sabres fan, overvalue Ristolainen...and I'm not trying to inflate the TB players, I'm a Sabres fan.

I don't want to trade him, but it seems inevitable that he will be traded for forward help...and he's our only trade chip.

How do you figure? We trade a defensemen that is most likely leaving anyways, a prospect that has stalled in his development, and some picks for three useful forwards.

Offer some alternative if you don't like this...that's the point of this forum.

I don't see how Sabres fans wouldn't like this. We lose 40 points in Ristolainen, and gain 130 points in the three forwards. Take out the 1st round pick, if that makes it more fair.

I originally thought it could be Ristolainen for Johnson, and for taking Callahan off Tampa's hands they would send us Miller for a 2020 3rd round pick.

So it would be Ristolainen and a 2020 3rd round pick for Johnson, Miller and Callahan...but that just doesn't seem to be enough, maybe make it a 2nd or add Nylander?
Krueger yesterday hinted that Risto will stay, especially if you consider that Bogosian and Pilut injuries early in the season. I don't mind getting Miller or Johnson, but not at the cost of trading Risto, they can get cheaper.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
That was my thought. There have been enough times I've thought Callahan was a minority partner in the Sabres because he seems to own them on the ice.

Ba-dum-ching!

Seriously though, with him being from Rochester, I could see him waiving to be in Buffalo. But yeah, I don't see a reason for Johnson to do so, even if Callahan offers to help him pack.
. Callahan still has a little bit in the tank But he’s a luxury that Tampa cannot afford. With all Buffalo’s cap space his mentoring for a season or two would be money well spent for a young Sabres team and a fourth round draft pick in this year‘s draft to get him has a better chance than not of never seeing the light of day in the NHL

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
I don't think Buffalo is interested in taking on that much cap to help a divisional rival retain some of their best players for an asset. The original idea of swapping some moving parts from both was interesting, though again, solving all of the Bolts cap problems and kicking in the late first and Nylander isn't all that appealing personally, but the idea is something that could ultimately benefit both teams. Callahan alone does not benefit Buffalo.
My recommendation would make a hell of a lot more sense for Buffalo than he initial proposal. See my post to Chainshot

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
No interest in Risto or Nylander. I think TB would rather try and trade Johnson and Miller in separate deals for the highest picks possible than do this. Callahan + pick for nothing sounds good though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
. Callahan still has a little bit in the tank But he’s a luxury that Tampa cannot afford. With all Buffalo’s cap space his mentoring for a season or two would be money well spent for a young Sabres team and a fourth round draft pick in this year‘s draft to get him has a better chance than not of never seeing the light of day in the NHL

They need people who can drive play more so than they need wiley vets at the end of their shelf-life. They already have a broken Okposo for the 4th-line leadership role.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm not at all interested in this type of deal. I'd much rather trade Risto + another asset like 31OA or Nylander (or maybe both) for a legit 2nd-line center with term or who can be extended.

I'd also consider picking up Callahan for a low pick. We could use him for a year, and TB gets their cap relief.

Reactions: freester

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Buffalo isn't helping Tampa and giving them a draft pick...to take Callahan off Tampa's hands, there needs to be more incentive.

That's how these things work.
I would totally agree with you if making that deal would hurt Buffalo’s chances of making the playoffs but being Realistic here we both know that’s unlikely to happen anytime soon

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
They need people who can drive play more so than they need wiley vets at the end of their shelf-life. They already have a broken Okposo for the 4th-line leadership role.
That is a fair argument but Okposo doesn’t bring the physical element and PK skills that Callahan does

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2